- advertisement -

How much education has been given to you by endo??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hmschlng24god, Apr 24, 2009.

1. hmschlng24god

hmschlng24god Approved members

Just curious- how much of your D education has come from classes that are offered by your endo's office?? I was wondering if ours is doing enough. So far we have had our initial training in the hospital when we are diagnosed, one 4-5 hour class the day after discharge and that is it.

I asked to meet with a dietician once but she pretty much just went over what was said in the hospital with a tad bit more detail but nothing majorly new.

Just wondering if we should be expecting more education from our endo. I think I have learned more on here and online than from our doctor. thx

2. manic4titans

manic4titans Approved members

wow I didn't have a class. We were in the hospital 2 full days and instructed by a dietician both days. Endo came in twice a day and quizzed us. Sent us home. BUT I have mulitple #'s to call day or night. I am sure everyone has that.

3. hmschlng24god

hmschlng24god Approved members

Well- I guess I should rephrase that. In the hospital we got shown the basics by the nurses and one nutrionist. The day after discharge the class was with a CDE and another dietician.

Our only phone number we have is a 24/7 on call doctor pager number that they may or may not answer. I tried calling it 5 times this weekend for help. The first 3 times-- no answer. The last two I got a person but they would not help me. I was asking for dosage change help due to a week stretch of lows and all they would do is tell me how to treat a low. I was very aggrivated. I knew I needed to change doses just wasn't for sure which insulin and how much. On Monday they told me NOT to call the office but to always call the pager number for help. That the office does not take patient calls. Very confusing and wondering if we are with the right endo.

4. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

What good is it to have a number where they won't answer and a pager that won't help?? Geesh !!! I'm aggravated for you.
    We don't have a ped. endo close so we travel to Knoxville to see ours. Right after dx we kept in contact with the on call dr. at the local hospital and our pediatrician. It was 5 wks till our first endo appt. and from there we were told to call them on the nurse line for any questions and that there is always an endo on call. Anytime I've had to call, I've always gotten a call back and the one time it was very important-illness with high ketones- we were called back immediately by the endo on call.
    As far as education, we had the basic education at the hospital from a dietitian and nurses, but no classes. We are encouraged to ask any questions during our endo visits and they ask questions so that they can evaluate if there may be a need for info that we might not know about. I love our diabetes team, trust them completely. If you are not feeling like you can trust them or they aren't doing what you need of them and have the option, I would say check out another endo. Your childs health is depending on it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  5. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I have learned more from this site and from my own trial and errors.

I think that the hospital or class can only teach us the basics. Then when our own diabetes question comes up we call and ask. Remember YDMV and I don't think the CDE or nutritionist has all the answers. I know there are some things that I would call in about and totally stump our CDE and we would just work it out together. What I do know is that when you come here to CWD and ask a question you will allways get the answer because between everyone here all, or almost all, situations have happened to at least one of us.:D

6. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

The endo we first had was crap...we really didnt learn much, I learned more from this forum, but he was the only endo in town at the time, now we have another one who is awesome! I have learned more from him in the past year than I have the 4 and a half years that Jacob has has diabetes!

7. pookas

pookas Approved members

IMHO many answers need to come from endo when asked even 24/7 problems BUT I have learned alot by reading books and online. Your endo is one source but you are the person taking care of your child and need to find the answers to what ever questions you may have. I seem to have gotten independent w/ learning stuff for myself fairly quick, but have to learn as much as you can w/ the resources you have:cwds:

8. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

Let's put it this way...
    I'm often giving my endo information that I've found on these boards! You all have done a better job with the education part than our endo.

9. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Well, we had 2 days of education while in the hospital. Most of that was with the CDE. About 2 hours of it was with a dietician.

In the first year after dx they require an additional 5 classes that range from 1 to 2 hours each. The first one we did was basically a recap of everything we learned in the hospital plus a more indepth food / carb counting class. That was actually 2 classes as we live 250 miles away! The next one (class #3) was Sick Day Management. The one next month is going to be Food & Fun, which is supposed to be even more indepth carb counting, good recipes etc (we're combining the class day with her endo appts). The 5th and final ones for the first year is Insulin Adjustment. We'll do that in August.

After that they 'require' 1 class per year of "continuing education" and also if you switch to a pump there are required pump classes.

I'm very pleased with the education & support we get from our endo office. I just wish we didn't live so far away!

10. manic4titans

manic4titans Approved members

I am very happy with my endo and office. We had scheduled a trip to Disney World the Friday following diagnosis. (we left the hospital on Wednesday night!) Endo said not to cancel that there was phones in Florida. The nutritionist called me on Friday and said Dr. Smith would on call Saturday for me to call in. I thought that was awesome for them to call me and assure me that he would be there.

I have like 5 numbers to call and a nutritionist or RN to call between 7-5pm M-F.

So sorry op that you aren't getting the help you need. Is there another endo nearby?

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

We had the usual crash course at the hospital, then a nutrition class after that-which was realllllllllly dumb for me, who was raised on weight watchers lol-like how to read a label, what are good choices, etc-they never mentioned carb factoring but how to guestimate, which is not that great with a baby or toddler. I had trouble finding childcare to take more classes that were required because they wouldn't let me bring my son, and my husband works offshore.
    We moved to OR, go to OHSU, and I had a nurse, endo, and nutritionist teach my SIL and I are various things a year later-while my son played right beside us the whole time and didn't disrupt us! That first year I really learned most of what I needed off of this forum, if my mom didn't find this site for me while Tony was in the hospital, I'd still be fiddling with measuring cups.

12. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Before hospital discharge, I had about a 1 hour sit down with one of the CDE's and another 1 hour sit down with the nutritionist. One of the nurses taught me how to draw insulin and inject it. Then after discharge, within 3 months of dx we had four 4-hour classes. A lot of information and I have folders and folders of handouts. However, even after all that, I know that when our first sick-day comes I am going to be in a big sweaty panic :eek: It's a day to day learning process for me.

13. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I love our endo, hes awesome, but i didnt learn much from him. he's even T1D himself, but endos dont have much time to spend with a new patient, or old one. i have learned and continue to learn way more from CWD.

LOL.

14. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Crash course in the Hospital with the Nurse Practitioner, and CDE. Everything else, I learned from great friends here.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee never was in the hospital so all of our early on education came from the endo's office.. mostly from the CDE.. she is also their dietician.. we still see her once a year.. the endo did a bit less education.. she answered any questions and gave basics.. but the CDE really did most of the education.. and then of course CWD:D

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My education was okay. The first day in hospital I had a crash course from the D consultant and D nurse. The next day I was put on mixtard 30 and a low carb diet when I came off the insulin drip (both of these things were temporary, because I was so high and they didn't know what kind of doses I would need so they were limiting the variables as much as possible), and I got maybe an hour more education from the D consultant.

After I was out of hospital, I had to go back to the children's day unit for breakfast and dinner for the next couple of days whilst I was on mixtard, so they could supervise the food and insulin (yuck, hospital food!) and then the D nurse came to my house for a couple of days to supervise injections. Whilst she was there, we discussed treatment options and other D related things and decided that novo + lantus was the way to go.

For the next few weeks / maybe a month we called in my numbers every day and she adjusted my novo and lantus, and for a while after that every other day, every week etc. I felt fairly supported in the first few months, which was good.

17. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Well I got most of my education during the 4 days in the hospital from 2 endos and the NP (who is also the CDE), also I got part from the nutritionist. The 2 endos and the NP all worked together, I saw them like twice a day for about 30-45 minutes. The nutritionist more came in about portions and stuff like that, and I only saw her once.

I'm just thankful that they gave us a handout for each thing they were talking about, I still have a fairly good size binder with all those papers in it.

But I feel as if I had a lot of support, and I still do.

18. alismom

alismom Approved members

The only information we recieved at the hospital was our discharge information (15 min).

We had to ask our cde to change us from sliding scale to carb counting. We also initiated our change to the pump and cgms. Ninety percent of my information came from books and here.

19. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

We didin't get much in the hospital as it was a weekend, lots of handouts and videos. It scared us when he was released. After that we got hooked up with a cde who we see every 3 months. We also see the endo every 3 months and they go over everything all over again. I have learned a tremendous amount from my friends here though.

20. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I've learned more here. I remember wondering, what's "bolus"? Its amazing I was able to keep the child going with the ed I received in the hospital.