- advertisement -

How much confidence would you have :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Sep 2, 2009.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi everyone, Thought I would tell you all about a delightful little thing that happened to me today because I know you will all understand and have a good laugh about it as I am now. FIrst day of 1st grade was yesterday I made an appt for 8 this morning to go over hypo, her schedule,etc.. with the teacher. We do all this and then I said Oh BTW this is her pump site. If it ever was to get pulled out, she would need to go directly to the nurse. There is a needle on one end. She walks to her desk to get her tea and comes back, sits further away from us??? I figure she's a little overwhelmed but then I notice she looks bad. Slurred speech, pale etc... As I'm asking her if she ate this morning, eyes roll back and she passes out for ~10 sec. on the floor. She came to, drank some juice and then tells me I don't do the medical thing. It's happened ever since I was little. They don't know why it happens when they tried to do a test to check me (CT/mri) I passed out!!!
    This is going to be a great year :rolleyes:

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I hope this was reported to administration.

I would ask for a new teacher. My child would need to be in a class where I could be sure they were conscious at all times.

I am sorry she refuses to seek treatment for her physical well being, but if it were my child I'd ask for a different teacher.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh my gosh. I think I'd request a different teacher too. LOL

when i write Ian's teacher request each year I tell the principal that I need a teacher who is 1)not weirder out by blood and kids 2) able to keep a level head and 3) not going to get annoyed at Ian for leaving the class. I think your teacher fails #1 and #2. what if your child had a bad low BG in class?

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I agree, you need a different teacher. Even if the nurse is going to be doing it all, you never know. I would speak to the principal.

Good luck!

5. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

:eek: I am speechless. :eek: I am glad you have a sense of humor about it. What are you going to do?

6. samheis

samheis Approved members

Oh dear.:rolleyes:

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Wow, just wow... I think it's completely reasonable to ask for your child to be in a different class! If she won't take care of herself, how can you possibly expect her to take care if your child?

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh wow!:eek: Yeah, ask for a meeting with the teacher and the principal.
    Good luck!

9. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I wouldn't want my child in that class, D or no D. What if someone gets a bloody nose, is the teacher going to pass out! First grade not a good choice for someone like that.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Gosh I feel bad for her, but, holy cow!! Kinda sensitive about these things aint she?! What if a child fell and bonked their head but good, shes gonna pass out whenever a kid gets a skinned knee Im afraid. im with the pp's I think youll have to ask if their is another teacher available or if there will be an aide in there at all times

11. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Ditto!

I would ask for another teacher. I would kindly explain why to the current teacher though. Bless her heart!

Edit: My 20 year old son does not pass out - BUT he will not oversee BG checks for little sister at all. He hates blood!

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Am I really the only evil one here who would tell my kid to make sure and test his/her blood sugar right next to the teacher's two or three times a day???

Honestly? Anyone else gleefully rubbing their hands together imagining it?

13. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I agree...get another teacher...she really passed out?? oh my freaking goodness!!!!

14. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

does she have kids?

can you imagine her in childbirth?
    sorry honey I don't do the medical thing:rolleyes:

15. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Well, I guess I get to be the oddball here. I totally understand where the teacher is coming from! I use to pass out very easily from medical stuff. I've gotten much better but I still have my moments. Once a client was telling me about her brother's operation...something about his spleen and other stuff inside there....I listened politely for a minute and then excused myself and ran into the bathroom (while dh was taking a shower) and puked! When I was dx with shingles, I almost passed out. When the Dr froze a wart off of me, I almost passed out. When ds was going to have his broken pinkie looked at, I almost passed out before the Dr came in and then again after he reset the bone. I say almost for all of those b/c I'm getting better at handling it. I've never had a hard time with Alex and bg tests or shots or site changes. I don't know why...maybe b/c it was just something that I was going to have to deal with and I had to be strong for him (but not Neal's broken pinkie?)

In your situation, I would probably talk to the teacher and ask if she's going to be able to handle this. Will she be able to see your dd check her bg? Will she be able to handle it if the pump site comes out? If not, would she like to have your dd moved to another class? She may be able to handle it now that she's had a chance to think about it. It may have just been a surprise to see the site and to hear you say there's a needle in there (which there isn't actually a needle in there, right? Alex's doesn't leave the needle there.)

Anyway, I hope you figure it out! (is she quite young? I fainted more when I was younger)

16. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I agree with the others about asking for another teacher. If she can't even talk about a site then I doubt she could handle an emergency situation.

17. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

I don't really want to change classes because DD was specifically put in this classroom because it is right across the hall from the nurse. DD is 6 and doesn't tell others when she feels low. The other first grades are on the second floor. She does have an aide and with the nurse in the proximity I think it will be ok. She goes to the nurse to check. She may need to rethink her job though :) and yes she is young, second year may teaching--mid 20's???

18. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Wow yeah, new teacher! I used to be horrible with the whole 'medical thing' too ironically. I passed out once at a hospital and I hadn't even seen/heard anything medical and I wasn't there for myself either.
    I had to school myself pretty quickly with that environment though. My husband is a hemophiliac that once he starts bleeding it doesn't stop and then my son is T1 so yeah, a fair amount of needles/etc

19. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I was thinking the same thing--ROFL!!! And the thing is, they were just TALKING not even actually showing the procedure....soooo it would be more like: <raising hand> Teacher I need to check my blood.
    :THUD: Teacher? Teacher??

20. mamort

mamort Approved members

too funny.

I'm sorry but the whole idea of passing out is really funny in my opinion, I would have laughed (sorry, but I'm kinda evil also):D
    I would also look for a new teacher, but its still pretty funny.