- advertisement -

How Much Carbs You Let Your Kid Get Away With?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

We were ALL where you are right now at one time and somehow we got where we are today. It will come in steps, it WILL become easier, you WILL get it, you WILL be amazed at the year mark about how much you've learned. (((HUGS))) I know how overwhelmed you must be.

2. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

What she said!:D I know it's overwhelming now, but it will be better. Our ds9, dx'd at 4, just went to non-diabetes sleepaway camp. He ate 100s of carbs per meal. He rarely eats like that at home, but he did great and had a marvelous time.

3. momofone

momofone Approved members

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I know things will get better, that it just takes time but that does nothing for me right now lol.

I'm trying as best I can not to be a burden on the diabetes staff. I'm an info junkie and I like things to be very specific so I have a lot of questions and a lot of "firsts" and don't know what to do - apparently diabetes does not like to be specific so I'm going to have a hard time with that.

My guy is doing really, really well, better than me that's for sure. When they brought up "when his honeymoon period ends and he's on NPH twice a day" in an email, it totally ruined my day. I'm barely making it through a day and thinking about what the future holds puts me into a tailspin. Just one day at a time, just one day at a time...;)

For goodness sake, I'm trying to create a signature and it shows it in the preview but when I press save it says something about there are no threads... blah, blah, blah.

Max is 10. He was diagnosed June 11/11. He is on NPH and NR in the a.m. only.

4. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Yes the pizza and crazy bread had his number over 300 for the night twice that I checked and it was 151 in the morning..again I couldn't sleep...his dinner ratio is 1:30 I"m thinking endo may change that, or at least for the heavier carb meals....still I can't keep losing sleep anymore(forever though I will)..my dh is not getting we will have to be checking nightly at least once fore the rest of his years with us until he is on his own.....w'ere going to have to figure something out.. I'm tired, I'm depressed.. I'm not functioning well yet...

5. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

As you get more familiar with the pump the features will help with pizza. We are MDI right now and I forgot how hard it was to dose for pizza! We do a square wave bolus with the pump. Keeps his numbers good throughout the hours that pizza works on him .

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Here's a thread I started explaining how to create a signature. :)

7. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

We're carbaholics...love our pasta, love our fruits, love our breads. But we've always been big on veggies and lean protein, too. There are rare 150-200 carb meals (usually when we do homemade pizza with our family) but she doesn't a have a hard time with insulin resistance even with heavy carb meals. I think for a lot of people it's definitely a case of YDMV.

I do think it's important to teach good nutrition, but as hawkeyegirl said, we are raising them to be independent adults one day, and college kids are all about the pizza, the ramen...the cheap and easy carby foods. They need to know how these foods affect them.

My daughter is very tall and is always growing, at 11 she's already 5' 5" and no signs of slowing in sight. I'm pretty tall at 5' 9" and her dad's 6' 2"...she already wears a woman's size 9 shoe. If I restrict her carbs, she's starving constantly, and a starving Cassidy is a very grumpy Cassidy...which I don't need, given the near constant moodiness inherent in being a preteen girl.

8. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

So after telling the endo I was losing sleep with his last two nightime numbers of over 300..he said NOT TO!!.. First off, he is coming down to normal in the morning right now(honeymooning)....so no correction... Second.....yes that food takes longer to digest..I asked if after dinner we took a walk around our park or so to burn a little sugar.. he said "sure"....And we are changing our ratio for dinner and lunch to 1:25 instead of 1:30..
    Today he had about 53c so we'll see if there is a difference in BG.. Thank you for all your replies.. although many times I end up worrying more after reading stuff here LOL..at least I know many of you accept what your kids want to eat(WITHIN REASON).. Day by day my 10 year old will learn to eat better.. He is very picky...today he had his first ham sandwich..I was proud of him LOL..