- advertisement -

How many times, on average, do you treat nightime lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Apr 2, 2010.

?

How many times during the week on average do you need to treat low BGs ?

1. 1-2 times

31 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. 2-4 times

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. 4-6 times

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. 6+ times

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. 0 times

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

In one weeks time how many times on average do you need to treat low BGs while your child is sleeping at night

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. chammond

chammond Approved members

We probably have them about 1-2 times per week, usually because of something causing low, then spike. We are getting better w/ extended boluses, but sometimes forget!

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Can you define what you mean by nighttime? Do you want to include blood sugars from right before bedtime or exclude those? Are you talking about overnight numbers taken when the child is asleep during the night? Just making sure I understand the question correctly before I answer. Thank you.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Just when the kids are sleeping during the night. Sorry i should have explained that better

5. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

That is what I thought you meant. Just checking. Thank you!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Twice a month, maybe. But I'm really into latenight sports-low avoidance. :p She eats very low carb on days when she has sports after 5:00PM - it helps with the lows;)

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Does it help because she's going to bed without much insulin?

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I voted 1-2 but its tough. We'll have a night where we can't get her out of the basement and then the next night can't get her off the ceiling - all with the same basal pattern and no changes in activity level. We're fighting the ceiling right now but I guarantee you, I'll make the tiniest basal change and be back to fighting the basement again

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes. We've just found over a few years of sports that the less insulin she needs to have during high exercise days ( i.e., lower carb her post lunch foods) the easier it is to manage bg overnight :cwds:

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm not voting right now.. we are at 5 or 6 in a single night right now.. so I"m not going to vote.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Oh shoot Im sorry:( We've all had weeks like that. Hope things improve so you can get some rest

12. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Right now, I am not having any nighttime lows really (knock on wood). Although, I have been running 200-250 lately, so I think I may need to up my nighttime basals by .2. We will have to see.
    However, daytime is a whole 'nother story. I have been having quite a few lately.

13. mamort

mamort Approved members

I said 2-4, but that includes 2 kids:))

14. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I think Charlotte's pancreas is trying to revive itself, because I've been catching her at 3 am going low, even when I run a reduced basal. Every night I'm either treating lows or correcting highs. It appears there is no magical number that keeps Charlotte steady through the night! :mad:

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Danielle: that's a tough age and the overnights are the worst. That's when their body creates growth hormone to grow, and that's why you'll see the highs. On nights when she's not "growing", then the basal settings for the "Growing" stage are too high. We went through that a ton when Emma was 2 and 3 and its calmed a little, although we just had 3 nights of fighting highs all night long and then last night, back to lows - so I guess growing is over for this month!

16. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Just echoing what Nancy said. We are doing some sort of intervention just about every night. Either carbs or insulin. :confused:

Wish there was some magic number. Sigh.

I find it easier to treat a low than bring down a high overnight, though the lows are more nerve wracking.

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Lately, with the weather changes and such, it's been a few times a week. Normally, maybe a few times a month or less.

18. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I have 2 kids with D so my numbers go up on how many lows we might have. :) So my answer may not have been indicative of what is true with parents with 1 child with d.

19. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Right now, it's all over the place. Between a cold he caught, not really wanting to eat, and a growth spurt, the numbers are wild. Some nights, we can't get the highs down, and other nights, he's low for no good reason.

20. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

I end up catching a night time low at least 2-3 times a week.