- advertisement -

How many times do you test in the night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WhyMyBabyGirl, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

We test about 50% of the time now. After a long day or a really fatty evening meal or if she was a little on the low side right before bed.

During the honeymoon we rarely tested at night. She was never low and no matter what her BS at bedtime she woke up in the mid 80s. Sigh...... sure wish that was still the case.

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

I test about twice a night on average - more if I'm having to correct through the night, of course. In reality it's not usually necessary, but after so many years of setting alarms through the night I find myself waking up anyways. Usually I think, "oh, I'm sure it's OK"....a second later it turns to, "well, I'm up and it will just take a second" - at least that way I can go back to sleep knowing everything is OK.

Overnight lows have been one of my biggest worries since day one. Funnily enough, every time I start to work towards easing up on the overnight testing, I'll find that we hit a night where I check him and discover he's 3.2 or something (and fast, fast asleep)- well, that puts me right back to square one with the thought "what if I had decided NOT to check?". :( The sleep interruption is something I've just gotten better at dealing with, so it doesn't faze me too much anymore.

3. momof1

momof1 Approved members

we were told in the hospital and from our endo to check at 2 am every night. after about a month i said is this really necc. after a while he said 3 am then he told us that we didn't have to check every night her numbers were pretty good. he said if she woke up for any reason at all to check her becaus eit could be her body waking her for a low. this hasn't ahppened but i always check. depending on the day and her numbers i usually check her before i go to bed and if needed i will get up at 3 am. today she was outside all day numbers stayed up but bedtime check was 70 gave glucose tabs and snack so i will be up checking tonight.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

However many times the CGMS alarms. These days, that's 2-3 times (ironically once for a low and once for a high each night) and I hope that it will be fewer soon!

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Approved members

ditto Sorcha!
    I test Evan at 8 before bed then 12 am and 3 am every night. I'm up a little before 6 and test at 630 am right before he wakes.
    Twice a week on average he can go to 50'ish and be totally asleep. So I just do it and then my interrupted sleep is peaceful because I know he is ok. :)

6. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

We're on MDI and I check Alex every morning at 2:00 a.m. But now I'm starting to rethink that. It seems I've got her nighttime Lantus set well, so maybe I don't need to do that anymore. I'll have to give it a try for a few nights and see what happens.

7. 3js

3js Approved members

We take turns getting up to test our son once every night between 2-4am. We switch the times around from night to night. In the 2 years since dx, many unexpected bg`s have been caught. Also, a couple of times the site has come out.

8. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

On a "TYPICAL" night I test before bed and then 2 hrs later because he goes to bed with IOB from dinner(bed is early 730pm). From there I test before I go to bed, which is midnight, then at 4am or earlier depending on the midnight #.

9. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

The Plan: Midnight (me), 3 am (the wife), 5 am (me, if he was high or low at 3).

Success rates:

All 3 in one night: ~75%.
    Midnight: 99%
    3am: 66%
    5am: 75%

Zach is currently at Show Choir camp and he should be testing right before he goes to sleep and then again at 3am. We'll see what his meter says when he gets home.

10. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I test every night, the number of times depends on what his numbers are. I don't set an alarm, just automatically wake up. (I test a minimum of 2x while he is sleeping)