- advertisement -

How Many Of Your Kids Have Classroom Parties Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Dec 16, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My son Daniel is beyond excited about all the junk he can eat tomorrow:p..I"m baking his favorite brownies that were a hit with his class and teacher....I know they are getting Coscto pizza, looked up the carbs.. and I don't know what else might be lurking in there LOL...When I take my lunch break I will head down to his school and do some carb counting..no full time nurse and I don't expect her to know how to count carbs anyway...My brownies are 25c by themself, so we may break 100 for lunch:eek:.... Anyway else, maybe we can post some dinner BG's and see how we did? I"m hoping for the best!:rolleyes:

2. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Good luck. We had ours yesterday. Mostly healthy food though, and SWAGged everything. Wish they had brownies! The benefit of mommy staying to carb count is she gets to eat with the kids! The Korean barbecue was amazing.

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My kids have their parties next week. My sons class has no food at the parties this year. There are a lot of food allergies in the class along with the diabetes so I think the teacher decided to take the easy way out. She just does crafts now.

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Our party is next week and I have no idea what all is being served.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Our party is today at 1:40. I always help with the parties, so I know what there, but our nurse and his teacher handle everything while he's in school, even if I am there.

My kindergartener is having cupcakes, cookies, a veggie tray and cheese cubes, and they're making holiday magnets. Everything at our school has to be store bought, so carbs are easy because they're on the package. Because of celiac, I keep baked goods in the freezer (store bought as well) at school, and the carb counts are listed on those as well.

They're also having hot cocoa and marshmallows this morning & watching a movie, and he got to go to school in his pj's, so he's a pretty happy kiddo today.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ours isn't until next week, and for parties the school sticks to the federal wellness program. They are also pretty sensitive to the kids with food allergies. They will have one sweet treat (probably cookies), fruit, cheese and crackers and veggies. They've been doing this for the past few years and it has made my life so much easier.

Come to think of it, now that they are in middle school they most likely won't have a holiday party... I think they only do Halloween.

7. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I hope not because her teacher didn't mention it:rolleyes:, but I'm wondering if I'll get a panicked phone call because originally she said they were going to celebrate a different holiday every Friday in December. Last week was Kwanza and next Friday is gingerbread houses complete with 15 different types of candy and globs of icing. Glad I've relaxed enough to try my hand at that!

I am skeptical that today is nothing though, hmm... I like your idea of updates though, fun.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am so glad that these parties right before the vacation stop in high school. The parties my son does have, he is supposed to figure out how much insulin to give. I don't even think about it all that much.

This is something for parents of younger children to look forward to!

9. BittysMom

You made me think ahead to our next school which is grades 3-5. Parents don't attend those holiday parties, so I'd stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe Caroline can text me what's on her plate :)

10. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

Christopher is having a breakfast party at school today. He is SO excited. I cooked up a bunch of sausages for him to take. I hope the kids enjoy it. :) I packed him extra low carb stuff so he can enjoy the party and not have to worry about getting insulin (nurse isn't there today and the school gets out at 10:30). If the nurse were there, I'm sure he'd go nuts and eat everything! LOL

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Good luck with the party, they are always challenging.

I would just caution against comparing bg's and seeing if you did "good" or "bad". That might not be your intent, but invariably that is what happens. It just fosters the idea that managing diabetes is a test and that numbers are the grades. I personally try not to look at it like that and just do the best I can and move on. I try hard not to look at numbers or the A1c as good or bad. They are just data that I use to manage her diabetes. I don't always succeed and sometimes I do beat myself up over a "bad" number. But it is something I strive not to do.

If people find it helpful to compare numbers and see how they all did, then great, feel free to disregard this post and do what feels right to you.

12. Christopher

I hope you get the insulin thing worked out soon. And I do hope he can enjoy the party eating his seperate food, but at some point I wonder if it is going to become an issue for him. I hope not.

13. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Josh's party is next week. I will be dividing my time between 2 classrooms (my daughter is in KG). The teacher hasn't called to give me an idea of what will be served...Josh is excellent at guestimating carbs and does everything in class. I will have the calorie king app handy if we get stumped.

I must say, it is so nice to not feel stressed about it this year!

14. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

I wouldn't want to be left out from eating what others got to eat as well and I know he feels the same way. He was somewhat bothered by it and as a parent, that killed me. I don't want him to feel like the kid in the corner who has diabetes, but at the same token I didn't want him missing the party. I told him that HE controls his diabetes, not the other way around. For now...we have to do what we can do while we work out the insulin issue. With this being so new and right at the holidays, we have to be crafty while trying to work everything out.

15. Christopher

The early days are very tough and I agree, you just need to do what you have to do to get through them. My personal experience was that each holiday or party or sleepover that I got through made the next one a little less daunting. So by the end of the first year I felt much more comfortable and also had learned some valuable lessons. It also makes a big difference when you finally get systems and personnel set up and in place to help maneuver through some of these obstacles, especially at school.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm confused as to why you would want this information? :confused: I think that if you obsess too much over the #'s, you are headed for disappointment. We try not to put too much emphasis on food. My son eats and he boluses for it. There is no good or bad #.

17. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Hope all the elementary kids have fun at their parties! I can remember a very nice and well meaning mom bringing Lauren a special box of sugar free ice cream for one class party. Lauren cried (it was yucky). Fortunately, I was splitting time with her brothers' parties and got there in time to dish her up a bowl of the real stuff.

Lauren has had a girl scout party, a cookie exchange, 1 evening party and 2 band concerts this week (one involving an all day rehearsal with a trip to a Chinese buffet in the middle - the band director took the kids; thank goodness for this website where we could look up dealing with Chinese buffet food the night before). Today is a free food day at school (bring whatever sweet, yummy stuff you want & feel free to share).

Seems there are large spread of food everywhere we turn this time of year. Fun, but it sure can be tricky.

18. BittysMom

So Caroline's teacher just called and they made some sort of Hanukkah food which is why they didn't send home a request for party food. She can't be bolused for such small amounts, but I said she can have some anyway. Hope she's not too high at pick up.

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I ended up not fretting about parties like these. When my son was in the 4th grade, he went and gave himself an injection and tried to eat food to match his insulin. We would discuss what he could have based on what folks signed up to bring.

Later, he would correct for the high at the next meal. There were lots of parties in middle school where he either forgot the insulin or didn't give enough.

I wanted him to enjoy the party like the other kids.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

And it's not a big deal if she is. It's one day out of many. In the big picture, this is just a drop in the bucket. Correct her the next time you can check/correct. The more important thing is that she got to participate in this event in the classroom just like everyone else.