- advertisement -

How many of you take on the task of finger pokes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Sep 19, 2011.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

My L is 12 years old, and she does her own bg checks most of the time. DH and I do overnight testing.

I know how I dislike being interrupted if I am in the middle of something, so if I know she needs to test, I will grab her meter and test her.

I've also told her that not testing is not an option, so if she doesn't feel like testing, then she can ask me, her dad, her sister, and we'll test her. Once in while, she'll have one of those I.am.sick.of.diabetes.days and she'll ask me to test her. I do so happily, and tell her I'm proud of her for asking for help when she needs it.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My DD has always been fiercely independent, and she fired everyone else from giving her shots already in the hospital. However, the psychologist warned me that kids that take on too much responsibility too soon burn-out in their teen years. I'm glad she did; I remember her telling me even when DD is 18, there will be days she just wants me to do all of her care. My DD did so much for about 9 months, and right now she's about 50-50 on how much she does. I wish I could give her even the occasional escapes from diabetes I get.

3. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

My son does his own finger pokes during the day, but I will take his lancer & strips to him wherever he is in the house at the time.

I've never had him wake up for night checks - I know how tired I am waking up for night checks, so no way I want that for the boy. Most of the time he sleeps right through it.

He knows how to do all his stuff, but I'm in the school of thought that he has this forever - so for as long as he's with me, I want to carry as much of the burden for him as I can. He has the rest of his adult life to "own" it independently.

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler is nearly 16. He does all his own finger pokes during the day and we do all his night checks.
    We figure he has a lifetime of this so if we can take a share of the load for now, why not. We also don't want his sleep disturbed too much since he is in the middle of an exam year, and he needs his sleep.:cwds:

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My son is almost 13 and I do 99% of his finger pokes (and bolusing for that matter) when he is home. He handles 100% of his diabetes management when he isn't home. My hope is that is if I take some of the burden from him whenever possible, then he won't neglect doing it when he is not with me. (so far this has worked..he just had his second lowest a1c since being diagnosed 6 years ago, and he had a great summer of vacations with friends families and endless sleepovers doing an average of 80% of his own care since he was away from home so much)

This is what works for us. Every family is different and every kid within the same family is different.:cwds:

6. suz

suz Approved members

This is us too .... Kieran is 7 and we still do all night time pokes (Dex doesn't even wake him!). he does them at school, but at home I do most of them for the same reasoning as others have said - he has his whole life to do this. So I end up running around the house with the poker, or chasing him from room to room trying to do a bolus before his ping remote goes out of range!

7. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Samantha is 19 and when she is home from college, I still do her night checks!!

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It never would have crossed my mind to have Maddie check her bg often at 8, and certainly not overnight. In my book 8 is still a young child, far too young to be shouldering the exhausting and relentless routine of 10x per day blood sugar checks.

She's now 13 and nearly 9 years in, I check her every night and during the day whenever she asks me to.

9. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Just want to clarify, I didn't mean that she did her own "night checks". We absolutely do those (and we try to be like a mouse and not wake her so she can get her rest). But in the morning when she wakes, I will let her roll over and get that extra minute of sleep in while I check her BG. I want her to feel non-D at time of waking as long as possible.

10. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

My DD asked me the other night...Mom what is the farthest you want me to live away from you when I grow up... I said, next door would be nice:D. She said cool, that means you could come over and do my night checks and me and my husband:eek: can sleep. lol... So my DH said, maybe your husband would not want your mom over in the middle of the night;) so she said, well, that's just too bad for him so he will have to get over it:p

Then DH and I laughed about it the rest of the night..Thinking about me in my robe, slippers and flash light walking through the pasture & woods (we live on 13 acres:eek:) to the neighborhood next to us to do her night check.

gotta love the things they come up with!

But if this did happen and that is what she wanted I would:eek:

11. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

I think it's ok if you do it once in a while, but it's also very important that you let them become independent.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

At 8, I think that they shouldn't be her job. By about 12, I think it's good for kids to have the independence to go out with friends and look after themselves for short periods. I'd follow her lead on this one. :)

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Probably a great break for her...just like bringing laundry home for mom to do and having home-cooked meals!;):rolleyes:

14. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip does all his day checks himself. At night, he sometimes wakes up, then he does them. If he doesn't wake I do them. At his dads he has to do 100% of his care himself, so I try and give him as much of a break as I can.

15. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I check hanna at night and first thing in the am, I check her and change her lancet. She does her own care the rest of the day. If she asks for help, i give it. She will be on her own soon enough.

16. Lize

Lize Approved members

They can stay with me ... :D:D:D

17. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I love this! It kind of reminds me of when our son was 3 and asked his Dad if he could marry him!

18. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Kendall was 7 when diagnosed, but she took on testing herself pretty early (with superivsion). She's now 11. I test her at night, and whenever she doens't feel like it.

Spencer is 13 1/2. He does all of the testing except the middle of the night (and it always startles me to poke those HUGE man hands of his!!)

I tell both of them, as long as you can fully take care of yourself when you're out with friends, I'll do it anytime at home for you. They're still kids and have to be so much more mature than most kids, I feel whatever I can do to help is good.

19. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel was 14 at dx and always does his own..for night checks I take meter and lancet and wake him up - I have offered to do them and not wake him but he says it would be dangerous - if he were to be startled awake he would probably hit me:D so I wake him up and he usually does not even remember.

I have decided that we may have to add on to our house so he can just live here forever with his wife and family..not sure he wants that but I just do not know how I will let go. He is planning on living at home through college anyway!so I have a little while to learn to let go.

20. Cdpimpinella

Cdpimpinella Approved members

My daughter who is 6 ( diagnosed 1 year ago) has been doing all of her own finger pokes since day 1. The only time she will let me do it is if she is sleeping. Even then she sometimes wakes up and takes over. I think it is good for her to be able to "own" diabetes like she does but at the same time it makes me sad. I just want her to be a normal kid and not have to worry about it. :(. She has grown up way too fast!!!