- advertisement -

How many of you have allergies to the Dexcom?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Have you ever had allergy to the Dexcom tape or sensor?
    What did you do about it?

2. Pemb

Pemb Approved members

My son does, both to the dexcom tape and the tape from his pump infusion set. The dexcom is very much more difficult to deal with as it covers a larger area and is left on for many more days. Right now, we are using skin tac as a barrier and only using the dexcom every other week. The time off allows the skin to heal enough that I'm comfortable sticking it back on him for another week. I'd love to find a better solution so that we can use it full time, but so far we've had no luck.

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

My daughter does. Johnson's tough pad under the sensor has turned out to be the only solution of the many we tried that tempered the reaction.

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Can we buy it at CVS or Walgreens, or is it available online only?

5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob does. The Tough Pad works but doesn't stick very well. Actually nothing sticks very well to his skin, but that is a different topic and I have been given some ideas on how to deal with it. I only mention it because when things start to get a little loose, that irritates his skin too. Over bandages like Tegaderm tend to curl and come loose and that irritates the hell out of him too. He also breaks out from Mastisol and Skin Tac.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I wouldn't say a full blown allergy, but their are times when there definitely is irritation. For us, it all depends on what the weather is like. If it's really cold and dry, we do have an issue with her skin getting itchy and irritated (kind of like a bug bite type itch).

She's been off it all week for camp, so it will be interesting to see how her skin reacts when we start up again this weekend.

7. Pemb

Pemb Approved members

I've only ever gotten it online. To be honest, it doesn't work that well, but better than anything else I've tried. He still reacts, but not as severely. From the other responses, it looks like I need to try the tough pad.

8. Pemb

Pemb Approved members

Skin Tac is no longer working for us, and I am getting frustrated to the point of seriously considering quitting the dexcom. The last two sensors have only lasted 3 days as the skin beneath the adhesive bubbles up and oozes a yellow serum that soaks through and causes the whole thing to slide off. It then takes a couple of weeks for him to heal enough to use the site again.

He started on the dexcom in December and had no reaction at first. Two months later, it started slowly with just itching a bit and over time has built up to this. We love the dexcom for making management so much easier, but I don't see how we will be able to continue with it.

We have tried skin tac wipes and liquid, tegaderm, and IV 3000. After he heals up from these last 2 sensors, I'll try the tough pads. Is there anything else that might work? I want to make sure I've tried everything before I give up.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DS has reactions to the adhesive on the OmniPod and the Dexcom. He also reacts to the Skin Tac wipes, the Tegaderm patch and the EMLA cream we use for site changes, the Opsite tape and the Hypafix tape. So far, we've had the best luck with ReliaMed brand wipes, which we use under everything. I'm waiting for some Skin Tac H to arrive (an apparently hypoallergenic version) to arrive and I would love to see success with it. I'm also planning to try Benedryl spray. For him, the reactions vary from itching and rashes to hives to bleeding welts.

DD reacts, but not as much to OmniPod and Dexcom adhesives. She's only troubled by the Opsite and Hypafix tapes and the ReliaMed wipes. Skin Tac caused a rash last pod change, though, so I'm wondering if it's an increasing sensitivity or just a mistake on our parts and we used the wrong one on her because it's so confusing to keep them straight.