- advertisement -

How many meters do you use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have one at bedside, one in the kitchen, and one in DD school backpack. I have read that it's best to use the same one all the time, but that would be so inconvenient for us. It would mean remembering to bring it upstairs every night so we can do middle of night checks and remembering to pack it into DD school backpack everyday. I have checked each one for accuracy and they all gave bg's in close range of each other, although I know they can differ with each check.

How many meters do you have/use?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5 or 6 at any given time.

There are two schools of thought on this. We couldn't cope with one meter, obviously ;). Though I think that when she was younger and I was with her most of the time having one meter was easier but now it would be too much of a bother. You just have to do what works for you. :cwds:

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We use the meter in our PDM exclusively, but have backups at home and at school.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have one we leave at school and one we use at home. We have backups, of course, but we use the same meter day in and day out.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just the one. Just works best for me that way.. I don't log either, so it's sort of nice to have all my BGs in one place.

(Like Karla, I have spares. They just aren't in active use.)

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We use 3 or 4 too. School, bedside, my purse, swim bag. We use the OmniPod which in theory should be the only meter we use (on the PDM) but because of the test strip debacle, you don't use the PDM as the meter.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I think it works best for us because we know we always have to go find THAT meter when we leave the house. Otherwise I could see thinking, "Okay, I always carry a meter in my purse, let's go!" And then getting to the park to realize that last night my husband couldn't find the meter that lives on the kitchen counter and swiped the meter from my purse to use and didn't put it back. :rolleyes:

8. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

We have one...always in front of computer....one at school....and a mini one that Daniel carries in his backpack for emergencies..

9. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

For Connor, we have a school meter that travels from home to school and back home every day in his diabetes bag/kit. He also has back-up meters in the clinic and his homeroom classroom. We have a home meter in his home kit on our kitchen counter. And a blood ketone meter and back-up meters in drawers with all his extra supplies.

For Brian (DH), he has one meter that he uses throughout the day. He has a back-up meter in his desk at work. He

We have back-ups to back up meters. You just never know when you'll need a meter from the 1980's :p.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Now that DD is in middle school, she carries her Ping meter with her and we also use it at home. So we only use 1 at the moment.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We have around 10 meters, but we only use 1 of them. we use the meter remote that comes with her insulin pump. We also keep an extra meter at her school, in the event she forgets her ping meter or the batteries go dead in it.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Primary is the Ping meter (one touch), but we have others scattered around just in case, there's one in the kitchen, a few in the school room, an extra on his bookshelf in his room, then at least 2 in his football bag, one in my purse....

None of those get regular use, they are more for backup.

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

3 meters are used regularly here. Ping at home - Onetouch in Tyler's "out and about" bag, and a Onetouch mini in Tyler's backpack used and used during the school day. (he also has a backup meter in the nurses office in case his "school" meter decides not to work)

14. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We use 2

We have two meters that are in use most of the time. One STAYS at school in the nurses office (my son is only 4).

The other meter stays at home. It does go upstairs and downstairs each day as I check his b/g in the morning and at night. During the day it always goes in the same place - by the refrigerator.

We keep an extra small size meter in his backpack only for emergencies.

15. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We have 2 ultralinks-one for the house and one for Ab's purse that she takes to school. There is an old back up at school and I keep and old one in my purse.

16. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We have 4, but only 3 are used daily. One in the bedroom, one in the living room and one in her bag/backpack for school and out and about. I have one in my purse too as a "just in case" meter.

17. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

We have 1 at school and 3 at home, so 4.

Now, we try to stick with using 1 at home after we went to our Endo apt the other day and she wanted the meter to download....haha...it had 1 day's BG numbers in it:eek:. Endo said next time to bring all our meters...lol..she should have told me that at dx:p

My DD does like her Ultra mini to match her outfit :cool:

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

We have 2. One that tends to stay in pink bag and gets to school, but there is back up one too that can be sent or we use around the house

19. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

With 2 D kids we have about 5-6 floating around at home and Delaney has about 2 at school one with the nurse and one with her... We never are able to check meters for numbers cause there's not telling whose number it is...LOL

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We have one that we use all the time.. we have a back up at school and various ones around the house, but we always just have one in use (home, school, nighttime, grandparents.. wherever she goes its the same meter).