- advertisement -

How many have Celiac Disease too?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by foxa71, Apr 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Here are some of our favorites.

Most we can get at our local grocery store and some we luck out and find at a discount grocery store.

Tinkyada noodles.

Bisquick gf mix. Yummy recipes on the box and online. I have made the cheesy biscuits and my dd loves them. They also have a fried chicken recipe that we all love.

Definitely Udi's bread as everyone else has said.

Amy's frozen mac and cheese. It is really nice to send when she is going to a sleepover. Just pop it in the microwave. Nice for parties or going out to have as a back up plan.

Everything in the "ito" family is gf except for the red Doritos. So Cheetohs, blue doritos, tostitos, fritos, etc are all gf. Lay's potatoe chips are all gf.

Glutino pretzels, and snyders just started making gf pretzels that are good and quite a bit cheaper.

Most of the things to treat a low are gf, which was something I was worried about at dx. So glucose tabs, juice boxes and most fruity candy is gf. What I do miss is being able to give her pb crackers for the stuborn lows at school.

Post fruity or cocoa pebbles.

Betty Crocker has a nice baked goods line, gf brownies, and cakes. Gf bakery is amazing!!! The betty Crocker line is way cheaper than the stuff you buy at the health food stores. In our area it is about half the price.

I hope that helps, I know it is overwhelming. I remember my first grocery trip was about three hours. Hang in there it will get a bit easier. If all else fails go simple. All fresh meats, fruits, and veggies are naturally gf.

ETA: Alli had me log back on and add Reese's peanut butter cups, lol!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear of this diagnosis! I'll leave it to the experts to give you the practical advice, but just wanted to send you a hug. :eek:

3. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Thank you all so much. I'm writing this stuff down and will start trying to figure out what will work. There's no way I could do it all at once. It's just too overwhelming. The plan is one step at a time. It's hard though since Erin's symptoms are increasing. She's got a rash on her arms and hands now that itches, eczema on her legs, and her stomach is always hurting.

We have a Trader Joe's in the next town. I don't have a car that works, so it's difficult, but I have family that's willing to help us.

4. Judy&Alli

Everything on my list I have been able to find at a regular grocery store. Familiarize yourself with the specialty section of the grocery store, like the organic section. The gf stuff is usually around there. To save yourself a lot of hassle, call them first to see if they have your dd must haves. The rest you can get as you get more comfortable. I am so sorry that she is not feeling well. Are the skin problems related to Celiac? I have heard of that but never talked to anyone that had that type. HUGS!!! I hope the gf diet gives her immediate relief!!!!

5. Judy&Alli

Do you have a smart phone? I tend to look up items as I shop.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Most everything you can probably get them right from a regular grocery store.. The breads are harder, our grocery store just started to carry the breads.. Most, normal, grocery stores will have an organic/gf sections, but ones like ours mix it in, which is completely irritating, but they don't listen to me.:rolleyes:

Betty crocker makes cake mixes that are gf, and all their frosting is gf. The gf bisquick is really good, my other daughter can't tell the difference. ;)

Its hard and definitely overwhelming at first.. I promise you though, you will see a whole new child in a few months. For us it was easiest to go cold turkey and switch.. the entire family did not go gf though.. but if we have mac n cheese, she has mac n cheese (Amy's brand makes a good one that is microwavable).. if I make meatloaf, I make it gf.. Oh, and save the ends or dried parts of the bread.. freeze them and when you get a chance turn them into bread crumbs in a blender.

7. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

As it is now I make separate meals for my autistic son and my daughter. I usually do three different meals every night. One for my middle son, my husband and I, then Mike and Erin rotate between the few things they eat which are frozen foods that I toss in the toaster oven while I'm cooking.

I'm not sure about the symptoms for sure. The side effects list eczema. Her arms just started breaking out with some kind of rash a few weeks ago. I thought it was related to a sun allergy which I had growing up and outgrew, but it doesn't fully disappear when she's been out of the sun for a long time like mine did. She's got a lot of sinus issues too, which I saw listed as a symptom. The stomach pain is the most prominent.

I did see that GF Bisquick on General Mills' website yesterday which made me feel a lot better. It's so much more affordable.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If she's breaking out in a rash really watch her soaps, body, hand and shampoo.. a lot of people forget to check that out.

9. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I just wanted to give you a ((HUG!))

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this now. Like many have said, there are many more GF products so hopefully your DD will be able to find some things she likes.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Our daughter was dx'd 4 years ago, and our experience is that Celiac is not a big deal. Basically, there are a small set of foods you need to avoid, like wheat-based bread, pasta, soy sauce, etc. Also beer, but that is not a problem right now ;)

Most any food is acceptable with celiac disease: Meat, chicken, fish, turkey, shrimp, scallops, most hot dogs, cheese, milk, yogurt, ice cream, chocoloate, rice, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, lettuce, squash, (all vegetables), any kind of beans, many kinds of soups, nuts, raisins, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, grapes, cherries, peaches, nectarines, kiwi, (most any other fruit I am aware of), juice, popcorn, and a lot more...

There are also many GF goods you can buy: Many kinds of gluten-free pasta taste about the same as wheat pasta, GF white bread (Udi's is best), GF 's pizzas (not many good choices there, but Amy's is pretty good), brownies (Gluten Free Pantry brownie mix, which is better than regular brownies IMO).

Finally, there are restaurants. At first it may seem that you can't eat out, but as long as you have a talk with the chef about what kinds of ingredients are not allowed, and talk about using clean cookware and utensils, there's little that you can't eat. Some large chains (Outback, Pizzaria Uno, PF Changs, Panera, others) have GF menus - you still should talk personally with the chef, though, about ingredients and cross contamination. We eat at just about every restaurant in town except for Italian and pizza shops. One example - Benihana does not have a GF menu, but we bring our own GF soy sauce. They clean the grill and cook the food in front of us, and it works out just fine.

We were concerned about our dd not being able to go out with her friends for meals once she got to middle school, but it's not been a problem. She just follows the same guidelines I mentioned above. She always brings some GF snacks with her just in case there's no option.

The best thing to know about celiac is that if you eat GF, life and health will be normal. Other than T1D and celiac, there are few other diseases/conditions that permit kids to live normal lives.