- advertisement -

How many Dexcom Receivers does your child go through in a year?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Oct 24, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Yes, it still vibrates every 5 minutes thank goodness.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

They have only broke after the warranty was up. One lost sound but is still going with vibration and I broke one when plugging in a charging cord, not the Dexcom cord.

Although I have to say I have multiple 7+ receivers that probably are fully functional. obviously the port and losing sound are a common issue for the G4.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

This is what I thought too, that I was just missing it but after 2 months ours had to be replaced for no sound whatsoever, not even on try it. It had issues going out of range a lot too

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Our first receiver is going strong, and we are days away from hitting the one-year mark. Let's hope it continues to do well, as I don't think our new insurance will cover a replacement...

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I think it has been 8 months and we are on the original

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We are on our first receiver, and have had the Dex for five months now. Like others said above, I think nightscout actually minimizes risk of port breakage because it stays tethered to the phone in a protective case except when downloading to Studio. If you're not using nightscout you can still protect the port with one of these cases. http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=Dexcom

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The first couple of times I did Try It after two nights of sleeping through a night of highs followed by a night of highs, it did work but the 3rd time it didn't.

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We had our first G4 receiver for more than a year. Then the charging port broke loose. We've had the second for 6 months without any problems. But we have used Dexcom for 6+ years and we've had quite a few of the old system receivers lose sound under warranty. It's not a new problem.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

that and not everyone has a smart phone. I would be one of those people LOL! Yep probably one of the last in the world to not have a phone with internet on it. All our cell phones are good for is calling and texting.

10. MomofSweetOne

Same here, but I think the desire for greater independence with back-up is going to change things soon. She's been waiting for Share to be released to make her decision of what she wants.

11. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We held out until relatively recently!!! The one bill i cannot stand is the monthly mobile phone bill. I actually resent it (as the poor Verizon mobile guy found out when they called here the other night trying to get me to switch to a different soul sucking plan). I am, however, outvoted as my wife and kids are like "We are not going back".

12. MomofSweetOne

I was thinking about this thread last night. While we have gone through quite a few receivers, our experience with Dexcom CUSTOMER SERVICE has been top-notch. Every one has been replaced without hassles. When our Medtronic transmitter wasn't working correctly, we went through phone call after phone call of "problem-solving" which meant blaming the parent for not taping correctly. It was amazing how the problems ended when requested a supervisor and insisted they replace it with the backing of our rep who had said it was the transmitter. But, that was 6 weeks of a 6 month warranty that we were put through those hours on the phone and not having a consistently functioning system.

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I agree. Ordering, trouble shooting, and warranty replacement have always been relatively easy and overall positive. I appreciate their corporate attitudes toward their customers, even on their earnings calls.

14. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

On our second in 9 months; about 4 months in, the charging port collapsed (not using Nightscout).

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have a question - for those that had receivers go the full year plus, how did it die? Does it give you a warning to order a new one or does it just stop working? Our warranty is up and I'd like to order another one to have on hand before the end of the year but before calling, I wanted to know if I needed to say something specific. :wink: Thanks!

16. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Our up/down buttons are sticky although the centre round button seems okay

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I order a new one out of warranty, I always just call and tell them I need to order a new receiver/transmitter/whatever. I've never had them ask if the old one still works or not.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Same.

(mts)

19. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

OMG! The receiver that I ordered on October 23rd, exactly 21 days ago crapped out today. Yesterday, I was on the phone with Dexcom customer service because it had done that "system check passed" thing and entered into the two hour start up TWICE. So in the middle of our fourth hour of lost data yesterday, I called in. They said to do a paper clip reset, which I did (resulting in another 90 minutes of lost data because the dang thing went out of range and despite being right next to her, it stayed out of range for an hour and a half. Today at about 8pm, the receiver showed a "call Tech Support" error and so I called. They asked me to try the paper clip reset again, which I did, but it wouldn't reset.

So, a new one will ship out tomorrow, which means I'll have two nights of lousy sleep (well, maybe it would have been lousy anyway, you never know) before the new one comes.

The funny thing is, our warranty on this one is up in exactly 7 days. Our deductible is paid for the year, so you bet your sweet butt I'm ordering another one on November 21st! We'll have two brand new receivers in the house (barring the one they send tomorrow being a lemon like this one was, that is).

20. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Ours just recently died....so we are on our third receiver now in 7 months. Looking forward to the day when the transmitter talks directly to an ipod/iphone.