- advertisement -

How many Dexcom Receivers does your child go through in a year?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Oct 24, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I was disappointed to find out that my daughter's second receiver broke last night. It stopped making noise. I keep it on attentive so it would still vibrate, but no audible alerts. Luckily we have Nightscout and those alarms continue to work, so I'm not overly anxious.

I think I'm just disappointed in the fact that this will be the third receiver in a year. The first one was a charging port issue (not related to Nightscout. I was charging it overnight and it vibrated right off the bathroom counter and was hanging by the charging cord and that broke it) and now this one is an alarm sound issue.

On the whole, my daughter and I are very light on electronics/machines. Phones never get broken, iPods and computers last forever, I'm not hard on cars, etc. It's just so foreign to me to have these issues. Plus I can't stand how you can't merge the dexcom studio reports from different receivers - that's probably the biggest beef. I don't think I would care if the new receiver were a seamless transition within dexcom studio.

So, I thought I'd ask the question . . . how many receivers do you/your child go through in a year? Are we just unlucky or are these the most fragile things on the planet?

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

We went through 3 in 6 months!!! Still on warranty odviously, so they were free. But they seem like super flimsy quality! We keep it in a case, always in an adults hand... one was the sound that broke, one the port.

3. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

We've already had two of those. They were still make noise for <try it>, but in real life only vibrated with no sound (even for 55 mg/dl) :confused:

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think ours has been doing this. I thought I was just sleeping through the alarms but even from half way down the hall where the receiver lives at night, it should be loud enough to wake the dead. :frown:

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We still have our original, which is about 16 months old, and our replacement receiver, which is about 4 months old. Both work just fine. I'm surprised, as I've heard countless stories about how fragile the receivers are.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We're on our 6th in two years. I agree with you about the data merge. We've never had a port break, though, and I usually look at the data every couple of days at least. Our last one was a sound issue that I didn't catch for two bad nights.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My kids have been using Dexcoms for about a year and a half.

My daughter just got her 5th receiver yesterday. One quit making noise, one had disappearing dots - they would eventually reappear but all history would be gone for awhile, one was a 1 year replacement through insurance and the most recent one seems to have burnt up inside - it was incredibly hot and stopped displaying and never came back.

My son is on his 3rd receiver. One was a one year replacement and one was involved in a jump into a pool.

For us, it's been 18 months and two kids and we've only had three that had issues. That's much, much better than our pumps so I'm pretty content. :)

8. mamattorney

You are so lucky. Under ordinary circumstances, this would be me. I never have problems like this. Even in the early days of Nightscout, once I got it set up, it has worked beautifully.

My daughter has had her t:slim for 14 months and not one single issue (well the rubber charging port cover is long gone, but no mechanical issues). Not even one occlusion alarm in 14 months. That's more like it (for me normally)

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

6 months and we have had 2.

It will be nice when the transmitter talks to a phone directly.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  10. MomofSweetOne

I hope, though, that they never do away with having the receiver because of times/areas that cell coverage is so spotty or non-existant.

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We're on our second since May of this year.

12. sszyszkiewicz

Yes that is true, but the app that collects it will likely just store it. If it were me I would make it so it would store the data on the phone for up to 6 months or something.

13. MomofSweetOne

But that would do no good for alarms in situations where the PWD needs to have the info far more than any remote individual.

14. mamattorney

wouldn't it just bluetooth the numbers to the phone?

15. sszyszkiewicz

That's how I hope it works. The phone Is the receiver. It just happens to have the ability to send the data to others if so desired. So no special wires, ports, docking stations etc....

One less device to schlep around, and a plethora of cases to keep the phone in one piece.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our first one, which is at the 20 month mark still runs. Now, we swapped it out a while back because we were traveling and I didn't want it to die while we were gone. I turned it on the other day and it's still running. The current one we have, at the 6 month mark, lost it's port when we were charging it, just got knocked loose.

17. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

For those who had a Dexcom receiver lose its sound, did the "Try it" menu option (where you can test the sound) also not work?

On a few occasions I thought the sound might have been broken, but going through the "Try it" sound test works. Wondering if there's a case where alarm sounds can fail, but the sound test passes.

18. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Our first one lasted about 18 months before it died. It just stopped working one day and resetting it did nothing.

We are 5 months into the second one and the only problem so far is the charging door that has fallen off - that's happens pretty easily and frustrates me!

19. mamattorney

As of last night, even the try it didn't work. But, I think in the past would periodically not alarm, as in, I'd swear I'd hear the alarm for the first time, but find that there were 4 or 5 red or yellow dots ahead of what I heard. It seemed every time I tried to test it, it worked fine. So I think it was slowly dying and last night it just completely gave out.

20. sszyszkiewicz

Does it still vibrate?