- advertisement -

How many days of insulin go in your pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by L101418, Oct 29, 2011.

1. L101418

L101418 Approved members

As soon as the girls started pumping I asked why can't we fill the pump up with 6 days of insulin and change the set every 3 days? The CDE said no because the insulin is being stored in a plastic reservoir instead of glass. (And she polices this at each appt. :) I don't mind.) Three extra days doesn't seem extremely prolonged to me.

Do any of you do this?
    Have you ever seen degradation of the insulin?
    Does anyone know the science behind plastic vs glass for insulin storage?

Thanks!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've been told not to prefill too many reservoirs at once because of degradation. Anecdotally, I used to fill reservoirs for 6 days, and had no problems doing that.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We fill a cartridge full and use it until it runs out. Currently that last us about 10 days, but we used to get around 15. I have never noticed any changes in insulin potency.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

with Apidra we do. We can almost never go more than 4 days, ut my dd wears her pump close to the body so it maybe a temperature thing and not days in the res.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

At our pump start, the CDE said we could do 6 days on the reservoir and 3 days on the set. We could fit more insulin into the pump, but she said beyond 6 days, it degrades. We use Humalog.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son goes about 3 days before he runs out of insulin -- sometimes 2.5 days.

Many folks fill the cartridge and change out the site every day and the cartridge when it runs out.

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We just fill the cartridge to the max and go about five days. It used to be six days. I haven't noticed any issues.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

we used to fill for 6 days with Novolog and never had a problem in the past.

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I used to be afraid to use the insulin for more than three days because of the possibility of it degrading. Then we changed to Rapid Ds and the tubing is in two parts--the "long" part that hooks into the pump and the "short" part that is attached to the cannula. They come with half the number of long parts as short parts. That made me try going for two site changes. Things went fine and we now fill with as much insulin as possible and only change the long tubing piece when we run out of insulin. We don't see any difference in numbers doing this.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We fill the reservoir completely and get 6-7 days out of it. It's not a problem. Your CDE has too much time on her hands if she's monitoring this in her patients. ;)

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh has a 200 unit reservoir. We fill it to the 200 unit line and that lasts us right around 3 days. Some times she uses the entire 200 units and other times she'll have some left over (usually 20 units or less).

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I don't pump. I can tell you what plastic does to insulin- plastic absorbs insulin. That's why the vials and penfils are glass. In a study of lantus stored inside a syringe for various amounts of time (that is, in the plastic syringe outside the glass vial), the lantus degraded in less than a day in some brands and took a few days in other days- but that may have been a property peculiar to Lantus- the doctor doing the study measured the change in pH level.

13. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Not to highjack a thread but I assume that you just transfer the reservoir to the second set. We have often thought about doing this but were not sure if there was a down side. Do you clean the top of the reservoir with a swab? What is your procedure?

14. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

when we do this, we use the old tubing (and save the new one for when we draw up a new cartridge)...but we only have 3 days worth of insulin in the cartridge, so the tubing only goes for three days. The disconnect is that we switch the sets out every two days so we are almost never switching out the set and cartridge at the same time.

15. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

In general we change site and cartridges at the same time, mostly for our simplicity. We use Novolog and it has been approved in a pump cartridge for up to 6 days. Feel free to check the insert in your Novolog vial, they have that you can use it for up to 6 days:)

16. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I use Novolog and I change out my pump sites and reservoirs separately. I fill the reservoir full and it lasts me 5 days. I've been doing this for years, and I haven't noticed any degradation of the insulin from being in the plastic.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We transfer over both the reservoir and the tubing. We just hook it into the new set and do a fixed prime to fill the cannula. :)

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That's what I used to do as well. I was on Novolog at the time. I imagine that I couldn't reuse tubing with Apidra - I get enough no delivery alarms as it is!

19. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

We are only suppose to do 3 days. We have however gone 5-6 days between pump changes. Oops!

20. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

We change sites every 3-4 days, and usually change the cartridge every other one. So we get about 5-7 days out of it :)