- advertisement -

How Many Days Are Y'all Getting with Dex G4 Sensors?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzie's Mom, Aug 17, 2013.

1. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hi Wendy. The record I've seen so far was 41 days! I'd worry about scars and infection! We usually get 10-14 days. But even if it's working after the 14th day, I just change it out since the skin gets a bit yucky any longer than that.

2. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Hi Ivy!

41 days! We're frugal, but wow. Perhaps someone transposed the numbers and meant 14 days? Yeah - I'd also be worried about it being in that long. And I bet the tape was pretty nasty, too. Unless at that point it was just stapled on :p!

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

10-12 days.

More often now I am changing it out because I need it working for a test or dance or tumble and don't want to risk it.

of course that did not work out for us this last time, changed the sensor and it never really got accurte and went to ???. WE still had to old sensor on and depended on that one for a day or two until we realised that the new one was a dud.

This is why I love having 2 transmitters!

4. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

We change/pull it every 14 days, but we also tape it from the beginning.

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We almost always get 14 days, using either Skin Tac or Mastisol on the adhesive before applying, using a cotton swab and waiting for it to get a bit tacky. We almost never end up needing tape even with swimming and sweating now!

6. alismom

alismom Approved members

We use SkinTac and get at least 14 days.

7. momoftwingirls

momoftwingirls Approved members

Wow that's good that you guys are getting more than 7 days out of it. Ours always says replace sensor after7 days no matter what condition it's in. I wonder why it does that? Do you guys have any idea why I get the replace sensor soon sign exactly 7 days after insertion and after that stop sensor comes on. I am curious how so many of you are getting so many days out of it.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

The sensors are programmed to expire at 7 days. That's how they're meant to work. At day 7 you simply end your sensor, and then restart it, without removing it. You'll begin a new 2 hour warm up and a new 7 day sensor session. :)

It is only FDA approved for 7 days though, just so you know. But nearly everyone gets longer than that. If you have a sensor issue after the 7 days, Dexcom will not replace your sensor. :)

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When it says "Replace Sensor" just tell it to "Start Sensor" as if you've inserted a new one. It will go into the 2 hour warm-up, but then continue reading for more days. You can also tell it to "Stop Sensor" when it is convenient for you to have the two hours without it monitoring. We try to make sure that it is back on duty by bedtime since my daughter doesn't wake to lows.

10. momoftwingirls

momoftwingirls Approved members

Thank you guys! We are new to using the dexcom and it never crossed my mind to do that because most of the time the tape is coming of she is very active toddler with swimming and other activities. I will give it a try today and see how it goes.

Once again thank you guys so much for the helpful information:)

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You may want to add extra tape if it's coming loose. We usually have to retape at some point.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

Yes. I think most of us do some extra taping at some point along the way. :) It is worth it for us to keep them on longer because we find that they just get more and more accurate the longer they're in place.

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It seems like I get a run of G4 sensors that are not good even at the end of the first week, and then a run of sensors that are performing excellently at the end of the second week.

However, my average at this point is 13.9 days per sensor (I finished sensor #19 two hundred sixty five days after putting on sensor #1 for G4).