advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many carbs in 1 teaspoon of amoxicillin suspension?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Danda, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Danda

Danda Approved members

Hannah has to take amoxicillin 250mg suspension for the next 7 days.
    Do anyone know how many carbs are in 150ml bottle or in 5ml(one teaspoon) of amoxicillin?
    The ingredients list said:Amoxicillin trihydrate for oral suspension 250 mg/5 mL (or 50 mg/mL) are bubble-gum-flavored pink suspensions. Inactive ingredients: FD&C Red No. 3, flavorings, silica gel, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, sucrose, and xanthan gum.

Sucrose
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:General Other names Sugar, Saccharose, Table Sugar.

Thank you in advance for your help

2. Bobbie

Bobbie Approved members

I would call the pharmacist and ask them first. If for some unknown reason they don't know I would then call the endo.
    I would have to believe you aren't the first parent with this question. I'm sorry that I don't have it for you:( .

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I was told that it is a free food. There is a tiny bit, but not much in there. You still might want to check it out though, and give your pharmacy, or endo a call, and see if they know the exact amount.
    Jamie

4. georgia

georgia Approved members

Amalia had an ear infection on oct and was put on amoxicillian, the pink stuff. OUr doctors told us there wasn't enough sugar in it for it to raise her blood sugar. The infection caused her blood sugar to increase and we had to increase insulin temporarily.

5. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

Hi - I had to call the pharmacist plus the drug company several times until I found an answer. I was told 5 carbs per tsp. I thought it would be a lot more since it seemed Aidan always went pretty high after it, but in retrospect, it was probably the infection itself causing the spikes.
    Heather

6. Danda

Danda Approved members

I already call the pharmacy, before posting. They do not have an answer to how many carbs this could have, but they "think" is not significant :rolleyes: Maybe for adults is not significant, but for a child sensitive to carbs/insulin, 5g of carbs could make a big difference in BG#. If Hannah is in range and steady 5g of carbs not cover with insulin, will get her spike over 200.

Calling the endo office is not an option. I always get the answering machine and if the message is not for an emergency, they never call back. And if it is an emergency they call back to tell me to go to the ER room, which I find stupid. If I think is an emergency I just GO to the ER w/o they permission.

Right now I try to find the manufacturer. Maybe they can help :p , after all they must know the ingredients of they product. Right?

7. beckybuckley

beckybuckley Approved members

I called my pharmacy - they know me all too well. She said she'd need to know the branch of amoxicillan you have and she'd get ahold of the manufacturer for me.

8. Danda

Danda Approved members

Thank you so much Becky. On the label said is manufactured by TEVA.

Right now I have to deal with a new crisis: I think I'm about to have a miscarige....I hope will not be this, but in my experience and the simptoms I have( had already 2 ectopics) point to an ectopic. Oh...well...life is beautiful...what else I can say...:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  9. beckybuckley

beckybuckley Approved members

ohmygoodness -- you've got a lot going on.

Call this # -- 1 888 TEVA USA

I talked to a guy there and he just needs to know the strength because he said there are a few variables that will determine the carbs.

Good luck to you with all that you're dealing with!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

when Kaylee was on it they told us to either count 1 tsp of sugar and use that or to just correct later.. we chose to just correct later on.. it really didn't mess with her sugar to much..

11. Barry

Barry Approved members

There are only 5 carbs in a teaspoon of PURE SUGAR straight from the bowl...dont worry about any meds.

12. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

A more important issue with antibiotics

Since anti-biotics are probably the most presrcibed drug to kids, there is another concern.

Anti-biotics are great for killing off acute bacterial infections (useless against viral infections such as a cold/flu), however they also kill off the "good" bacteria in the lower GI that is critical to good immune health.

A strong immune system can fend off most infections. The catch 22 here is the lower GI track is home to the good flora or bacteria. This bacteria (along with the stomach acid) is how the body kills off bacterial and viral infections before causing major problems. This good bacteria is also critical to smooth digestive track operation and proper nutrient absorbtion.

I would strongly suggest taking probiotics after taking the run of anti-biotics.
    Basically, probiotics are the good "live" bacteria that you can take to re-populate the GI track. You may have seen companies like Danon yogurt adding probiotcs to their new products. The other problem is milk, meats and such have antibiotics that we all ingest, killing off the good stuff. So once again, please look into probiotics. Don't be surprised if your pedo does not even know about them, or says don't bother. Do the research and find out for yourself. Homepathic health care practitioners know all about it.

My Dana (7yrs old and dx'd T1 4-20-2006), is also on probiotics along with a good multi-vitamin (no not the Flintstones...) "real" vitamins from Douglas Labs and Sambucol. Her last visit to the hospital amazed the doctors. NO colds. NO flu. NO missed school. YES IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Help you children build a strong immune system and they will reward you with a helathy kid - and less trips to the pedo.:)

Dana's dad, Ed

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007