- advertisement -

How long does tylenol mess up cgm sensors for?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Oct 1, 2010.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Any one know?

Ava has a very high fever 104. We started her on Motrin but it didn't come down, so she got tylenol as well. I know it will make her Dexcom sensor go wonky, but is the whole sensor shot, or just while the tylenol is in her system?

Right now she's in the ER with Daddy while I am home nursing the baby. She had ketones of 1.3 as well.

ARG. This is our first trip back to the ER since diagnosis.

2. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

our endo told us 4-6 hours but Katie reacts better to tylenol than motrin, etc and I've seen it come back faster. hope she feels better soon

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What does it do to the sensor? Make it show low or high?

4. Deal

Deal Approved members

I was not aware of this. What else interferes with the sensor?

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

As far as I know it is just the Dexcom with Tylenol only.

6. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

For me, it always makes the Dexcom sensor shoot straight up (like 400), and then stay that way hugging the top of the graph for usually 4 hours. So I usually do a "shut down" for 4 hours when I swallow the pills so I don't mess up my averages. Then I just turn it back on, recalibrate, and it's fine again.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Would there be a difference of just doing a stop sensor other than the shutdown option? I have never used shutdown, just stop sensor on the Dex.

8. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Yes, there is a difference. If you do "stop sensor", you will have to "start sensor" later, and that means that you are going to have to wait the 2 hour warmup again. If you do "shutdown", then you don't have to wait the warmup period. "Shutdown" is like turning off the power on the receiver; all you do to turn the power on again is hit the green button (you may have to hold it down a bit), and then the power turns back on and you start getting readings again.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I was told to shut down if she had to take tyleonol for 4 fours. We have acidentally shutdown and it will come back up pretty quickly.

10. suz

suz Approved members

ooooh, that's really interesting to know - thank you!

We had a Sensor #0 error last week after just 5 days. We couldn't clear it so just replaced it. When I called Dex, they asked if he had had Tylenol, which he hadn't. They also asked if he'd had allergy medicines. Now those I wasn't aware of, so will have to go and check all the ingredients.