- advertisement -

How long does it take to start the dexcom??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pianoplayer4, Mar 28, 2011.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My endo just faxed the script over, I'm not super impatient but when we told her we were hoping to have it by the time I go to south africa this summer, she said that we would really have to rush it. does it really take 4 months to get started on the dexcom??

2. suz

suz Approved members

I really can't see how it would take that long! Once we got the approval from the doctor, things moved really fast for us. The Dexcom rep did all the paperwork with the insurance, and it seems as though it was only a week or two before we received our Dex. Then we just set up a session with the Dexcom rep who walked us through the first insertion and a mini-training session. I've heard of people who didn't even do this, just watched a video online. It's really very simple.
    Good Luck!

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

The process took less than two weeks for me, and more than half of that was the paperwork sitting with my Dexcom rep waiting to get submitted to my insurance.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't exactly remember exactly how long but maybe a little over a week.

Cross your fingers and just call dexcom and ask, they will let you know if any hangups. It really depends n the insurance carrier and their policies.

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Dex is very fast on their end. I can't imagine this taking 4 months unless your insurance is a real pita. I think our process was about 2.5 weeks and that included a glitch with Edge Park Medical and then starting the process all over with Dex direct.

Dex called me the minute they had an approved auth from our insurance and our Dex went out the door the same day. We were on the Minimed cgms prior to this and I didn't feel like I needed training, but a friend of mine got hers scheduled within 2 weeks.

It's almost like Xmas isn't it -- so hard to wait!

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

oh good! I've read that our insurance covers it so we will have to wait and see, thank you all for replying so fast!

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've been trying to get insurance coverage for months, and I made an earlier abortive attempt.

But when I decided to buy one out of pocket, it was there in five days. It would have been four days if the Fedex delivery person had rung the door bell.

8. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I sent in my paperwork on a friday and I had my dexcom in my hand on wednesday. It all depends on how fast your insurance company is with the approval. I was really surprised with how quick mine was. The usually drag their feet about every little thing. Once insurance okays it, the doctor has to fill out a short form. That's just crazy that you were told it would really be rushing it to get it in 4 months!

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

Our insurance didn't even require preauthorization. I was really surprised by that.