- advertisement -

How long does it take to get a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Aeagle, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

We have order a medtronic pump and we are going on 3 mths now and still no pump. I have called and they keep telling us that it will be here in about 2 more weeks but they have told us this two times already. We need this pump bad our little girls blood sugars are up and down all day and we can't get rid of the ketones grrrrr. I had to vent but I am just so mad about all if this stuff. I feel like I am helpless sometimes to my little girl. We are doing everything the endo tells us too. I hate hate diabetes!!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's unusually long. Have you asked, specifically, what the hold up is? Have you asked the endo's office to follow-up with medtronic to see why it is taking so long? In the meanwhile is the endo helping you to revise your dosage so that you can get rid of the ketones? I'd really want to get that resolved regardless of the pump start date.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The other concern is that just getting a pump is not going to fix her bg swings. Have you talked with her endo about some solutions for that? Figuring out patterns or some of the reasons for the swings may help. As for ketones related to high bg, the best way to treat that is by increasing the insulin to bring down the high bg's. You and her endo can figure out the best way to do that.

Good luck

4. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

We went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago, and then I played phone tag with Medtronic for days, but from the time I got with them to share the insurance info (so they could make sure it was covered), it was shipped within a week. I just got a call saying it was shipped and would be here in 3 days. It would have been sooner had I not played a lot of phone tag with them.

My guess is that there is an insurance hang-up.

5. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I would be so upset!!! Im sorry your still waiting! There has to some reason and if I were you I would call and find out what it is!!!
    How old is your CWD?
    This could totally not apply to what the problem your child is having with ketones but it might be something to ask your Endo about. My DD was sick over summer and I could barley get her to eat she had high keytones in her urine (I was so worried) I ended up taking her to the hospital (we were also on vaca..) anyhow they drew her blood to do a couple labs and she had no keytones in her blood. They called them starvation keytones. If thats not a possibility call your endo and and talk about up"ing" the I:C ratio. What I have been told the only way to get keytones down (those that are not starvation) is with insulin.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We started on a Medtronic pump three weeks ago. We ordered it on a Monday, and it arrived the following Monday. It would have been faster, but they needed some paperwork from our doctor.

7. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

We have called the endo and have a app on thursday about the ketones. The endo has upped the insulin but its not helped at all with the ketones. It helps the bloodsugar for a week and then it goes back up. She was dx in march 13 2011. We just can not get this under control. I am just so angry that I cant help her more then what I am doing. She is 3 years old. Thanks for all the advice. We have called about the pump they keep saying the hold up is the endo office but they say they are sending everything so idk what the deal is. I told them today if they dont send us a pump I am going to call one touch ping :) so maybe they will come on with it.

8. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Happy to hear that you will be seeing you DD endo on Thursday! My DD was Dx March 28th of this year she was only 18 mo old, so I understand JUST what you are going through. It was so hard (still not easy but better) doing MDI for us. I ordered the Ping for my daughter and I/we LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is so nice that I can bolus from the remote, and that it is waterproof and covered if any water damage occurs. I hope you get it all taken care of. I feel your frustrations :cwds: Stay strong!

9. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Those ketones are concerning and I wouldn't wait until Thursday. You do have long acting (Lantus or Levimar (sp?) ) on board don't you? That should be keeping those ketones at bay unless there is an illness. Insulin gets rid of ketones, if she has ketones she needs insulin. I never worried about ketones on MDI due to the long acting working. I hope you get some answers soon those ketones need cleared asap!

10. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

From start to finish, we got our pump in about 4 weeks. Once the paperwork and insurance stuff was done, Animas called (we have a Ping) to tell us it would be sending out the pump and it would be to us by the next Thursday. They sent me an e mail confirmation and a tracking number so I could see the exact time it would arrive. I hope your daughter feels better soon, and you get all of the pump delivery issues resolved soon. :cwds:

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had our pump in about 3 weeks and the only reason for the delay was because it was during the holidays. I would call the pump company and speak with the pump coordinator and ask exactly what the problem is. If they say it's the doctors office insist that they put you on hold and call the doctor asap or get the 3 of you on a conference call. Is there anything from an insurance standpoint that could hold this up?

As for ketones, I would be on the phone with your doctor today, because they have gone on for far too long. Is your doctor at all concerned about this? I would be watchful of a doctor who isn't. The ketones can be taken care of by logging the bg readings so that you can find the problem spots and adjusting doses and correction factors to fix the highs without causing lows.

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Ours arrived in less than a week after the endo sent in the paperwork (which they did the same day we applied). We have had very good experiences with Medtronic's customer service in general. I would say the problem really is probably on the endo's end. If nothing happens and Medtronic continues to tell you that the endo is holding things up, maybe you can ask them what exactly it is that the endo needs to do, then pass that information directly on to him or her?

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, we got ours quickly too. In our experience, when there is a holdup (on supplies or whatnot), it's because our insurance temporarily gets its head up its own butt and thinks he is an 87 year old woman with type 2 or something.

14. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Oh, yeah--I forget about insurance. If they are in the picture, then they may very well be the ones causing the problem!

15. lynn

lynn Approved members

We started working on it before Christmas and it was delivered in April. Our insurance was a nightmare!!! They required a ton of paperwork from the endo and then couldn't seem to keep track of it so it had to be sent multiple times.

16. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

Thanks everyone just got the good news today about the pump its on its way here and we should get it tomorrow :) as fas as the ketones She gets them all the time every sence she was dx in march. The endo keeps upping the insulin but it dont help and yes she is on Lantus 4 units of it but we just cant seem to get this resolved. She will do good for a week with good bg and no ketones but then its right back a week later. Praying that we get some answers tomorrow at the endo.

Mom of 2 kids
    Abigail 3 years old dx type 1 in March 2011
    Seth 9 years old

17. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

How often do you test ketones? Do you test randomly, or just after a high?