- advertisement -

How long does food take to register on a bg test?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rileysdteam, Jan 4, 2006.

1. rileysdteam

rileysdteam Approved members

I test my 4 year old son before giving him his bedtime snack and then I test him again half and hour after his snack and his bg numbers are the same. Because it is his nightime snack sometimes I will give him more snack thinking he may just need a little more, wait another half hour and test again and still no difference in bg numbers. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

I can't say that I've ever had to wait longer than a half hour to wait for bgs to rise after eating. It may take longer if the snack contains considerable amounts of fat or protein, but I would expect a change within at least an hour.

Are you doing finger tip pokes or alternate site testing? Finger tips are more "real time" than alternate sites.

Both my son and I are MDI, not pump users, so quite often the insulin has to "catch up" so to speak, especially with my son being on N. With myself I take a shot with everything I eat, so the catch up is not so far behind. What regime is your son on?

3. kitty

kitty Approved members

I found that it take approx. 1 hour before my blood sugar levels rise enough to show it on my meter.

Jessie:cool:

4. sharon c

sharon c Approved members

hello just joined this forum

when have to test my daughter after a meal i usually find that it registers better after 1/2 to 3/4 hr after eating.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  5. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

I find it depends almost entirely on what she has eaten. Pure carb registers faster. Pizza and anything with pastry (eg. pies) are very slow and always end up spiking blood sugar loooooong afterwards, up to 10 hours. Our doc says to test after 2hours and that seems to be the "standard" but I find it much more variable.
    Kay

6. rileysdteam

rileysdteam Approved members

Thank you,

I do finger tip pokes. At dinner time my son uses humulag and N. We haven't had a night like this for a few weeks, maybe he wasn't feeling well. I talked to our family doctor and he told me to expect numbers like this when Riley is going through a growth spurt. Everything was fine but it sure is stressful.