- advertisement -

how long do you keep records

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

So we have been living with diabetes for a bit over a year now. Since day one we have written down everything eaten, BG, insulin, etc. It all goes in the log and then we review it at the endo appt.

Ok, so when we are done with a sheet it just goes in a stack and eventually into a file cabinet.

So how long do you keep old records? Is there a reason to either keep them or throw them out?

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We started out in a log book, but moved to sheets that our endo gave us. I keep them in a folder.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Records? What are records?

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I'm a werid-o- and have kept mine all five years..I don't know why but I have..:confused: lol:cwds:

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

If I do log (which I rarely do), I might keep a week. Currently, there's no trace of anything anywhere other than her pump. I recently got rid of everything we came home from the hospital with. It was just taking up room, and I don't need it.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I toss everything once it's no longer helpful to the present. So basically I keep nothing past a few months. Why would you? I don't care to reminisce about when she needed only .25 an hour :p

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We logged evvvvvvverything for the first year and a half. And then one day I woke up and realized that if I had to log one more BG, I'd throw myself off a cliff. But we pump and CGM, so I have more data than I really need.

I still have those log sheets. I am not a packrat by nature, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. If nothing else, I figure I'll pull them out when he's 40 years old and we can laugh at how primitive D care was back when he was diagnosed. ;)

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Guilty here as well!:eek:

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I have all Rachel's logbooks up until we started pumping. The 1 unit of NPH and smidge of Humalog.... I don't need them but maybe I can show her one day how well we did :rolleyes: As soon as we started pumping I stopped logging...

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Yep, here too (4.5 years in).

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We log absolutely everything and the log lives in our D binder until the binder gets too full for me to close. Then I take the log papers out and the kids use the blank sides for scratch paper for school work. I don't see any need in keeping the old ones. If they are older than about 2 weeks then I feel they aren't helping me to figure out what's going on now.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I still have logs from when I was diagnosed. Looking back at the NPH/regular premix makes me glad I'm on the pump now! I can't bring myself to throw them away. I don't log anymore.

13. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

*blushes* We've never logged anything on paper. Except for daycare logs, which we tossed in the recycling bin at night. The school uses a notebook now and we toss it when it's full.

Now, on my computer, I'm sure I have spreadsheets from various times but it's just because I usually don't bother with deleting old spreadsheet unless I'm having computer problems and need to. Never look at them but there are probably a few on there.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

In the beginning, I kept a notebook full of every single move we made. I kept it for about a year, then tossed it (but it was hard). The only reason to hang on to it was to see how diligent (aka anal) I was about logging. Then I downgraded to keeping notes through the endo appointment. Now, I only log for the 2-3 weeks prior to an appointment (required) then I toss on my way out the door of the docs:D

I still strongly endorse newbies to log everything down because it is important data for figuring out changes. I also still go back to logging when I can't figure out what is up with wacky numbers.

15. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Since our daughter was diagnosed so long ago, we logged everything on paper for years. I stopped keeping records her senior year of high school because (a) she was going to have to learn to do everything on her own in college and (b) I broke my wrist and couldn't write very well. For her to look back on some day, I have paper records from Sep 1989 to May 2005! We had no computer downloads of BGs to look at and make decisions about insulin.

These days, it's such a high tech world in which you can download meters, pumps, CGMs, I'm not sure that paper records are needed. But, if you are not a high tech person, like me, you need to see things written on paper. As for keeping older logbooks/sheets, it's a personal choice.

16. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

These were my thoughts exactly!!!

I DO keep the paperwork with his ratios/basal amounts from his last two endo appointments though, in case I need to make changes to his pump.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have logged everything from Day 1. And I have kept all the logs too. I am in the weirdo catagory.

18. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Guilty as well;) All 7 years and 4 months worth of log books are still in the cupboard. I have no clue why:confused: I have looked at them recently and cant believe the notes that I wrote down, sometimes several a day. Now I look at them and think WTH:confused: What does it matter if he ate at McDonald's that day or had diarhea this day. I guess at the time I thought it was important.

I think you can toss the records when you feel that they wont serve any useful purpose anymore.

19. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I use this website www.dia-log.com to enter in all of Ashleigh's blood sugar numbers. the website seems to be geared more toward Type 2, but i like the blood sugar log they have on there. I think I have probably 6-7 months worth of blood sugar numbers saved on there.

20. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Yes, me too. But mine are spreadsheets in Excel, no paper. :cwds: