- advertisement -

How Long before???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Treysmom, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

This is a question coming off Allisa's post.

How long would you continue to use the blood ketone strips after changing the date on the meter. I just want to get an idea how long you think they would be safe.

2. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

You read my mind Robin! I was thinking the same thing after reading her post! We have some that expired Nov. of 08...wonder how long I should hang on to them?

3. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

We have used them 6 months past expiration and compared the readings to strips that were not expired, both readings were dead on or very close.

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I don't know if this would apply to strips, but back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I worked in the Bedrock pharmacy... and as I understood it, the expiration dates on Rx tablets ran 6 months earlier than the actual expiration of those... just for safety's sake.

5. allisa

allisa Approved members

that's good to know Alyce.....I have used aspirin, etc past exp. dates....but I would be hesitant to use anyhting diabetic related after it expired.....

I did replace my strips for future use.....

but....

I find the "doling" out of Diabetic supplies SO SO frustrating.....

ketone strips are a good example.....I use them VERY infrequently....I'd rather get them a box or 2 at a time....but.....no.....

however the prescription is written....I get about 8 boxes ......and.....as happened....they expire before I use them....what a waste !

That and insulin as well.....I know this has been discussed before because I was a part of the discussion.....but I HATE the fact that I am throwing out half a bottle of insulin every month.....what a WASTE of money and insulin !!