- advertisement -

how is your dexcom range?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Nov 24, 2010.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

ours is not good... he has a full size bed and even on the bed, 18 inches away from transmitter is too far. It declares that it is out of range most times with anything greater than 12 inches.

For some reason I thought it was supposed to be around 5 feet. That never happens.

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

How long have you had it? Where does he wear it? Could he be sleeping on the sensor?

Ava's range is pretty good. Weirdly it does better from up and down rather than room to room. If I'm in the kitchen, it will read while she plays upstairs in her room, but it won't read in our room on the same floor. :rolleyes:

But I'd call tech support and see what they say, the might send you a new one.

Generally speaking if she's in the same room with the sensor, it's between 5-10 feet.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Nighttime poses the biggest problem for us. I try to get him to sleep on one side of his queen bed. Also have his receiver on the side edge of nightstand. Still sometimes get signal problem. I find I have more problems if I have the receiver plugged in. I try to not have it plugged in at night.
    Strange, I can have the receiver downstairs and pick him up fine upstairs directly above. Also in some rooms I can pick up further. Very frustrating T night to have to move them closer to get signal

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The manual says metal messes with the range, and that's what I find. I sleep in a recliner and on one side of me is a ceramic counter, on the other side of me is a metal bedstand. If I put it on the bedstand, a foot from the sensor, it will not be able to find me. If I put in the counter, five or more feet away, it can find me. If I put it on the wooden table outside my room, ten feet away, it can find me.
    It loses me more often when I'm on the computer and for some reason, it loses a signal about half of the times I go to the bathroom too.

5. momof2here

thanks everyone for the great info. I cannot believe the ranges you all have experienced! I just don't get that. He has braces... wonder if that has anything to do with our range.

6. momof2here

He wears it only on his arms, I have had it since August. He does many times sleep on the sensor arm. That the bg reading goes very low, dramatically - if it is connected at that time. I have never gotten a reading when I am more than a few feet away and regularly it must be 12 inches and no more.

I will give them a call, thanks so much :)

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris sleeps with it on his nightstand. Occasionally it goes out of range - especially if it is charging. But he has left it in the basement and it contiued to pick him up in his bedroom on the second floor. So the range is 1 to 30 feet!
    Try a different location not just a closer distance.

Chuck

8. momof2here

thanks!

thanks Chuck, I will!

He always has a fan running in his room, maybe that is a problem.

Thanks again!

9. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I'm so thankful for this thread!!! Andrew is often going out of range at night & he only has a twin bed. However, right after we got it, we tried marbles in a metal bread pan to hear the alarms (didn't work), but he kept it on his nightstand to keep some small toys in. I'm going to go move it right now & see if we can get it to work on his nightstand instead of trying to find it on his bed without waking him up! Thanks!

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My son puts his Dexcom in a handmade pottery thing he made at diabetes camp. This has coins in it. The sides are only 1 inch high. It makes it very loud when it vibrates. This is on his nightstand.

11. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My daughter has a twin bed, yet if she rolls to the far side it still says out of range sometimes, and her dexcom is hanging off the closest ledge of her nightstand to make sure we aren't a millimeter too far . . . for a while I attached it to a stuffed animal and put it in bed with her, that seemed to work the best.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth's range isn't great either, I wonder if it's because his cell phone is attached to him too?

13. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

Our Dexcom trainer told us to put a shelf above Ty's bed and put the Dexcom on there at night. It works like a charm!

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We don't yet use the Dexcom, but hope to after the Omnipod-Dex integration.

Would an iron bedframe cause issues? Do you know if it is all metal or just the magnetics that present the problem (making brass a better choice).

We were actually going to order DD a new bed ... and I'd certainly keep this in mind if it is going to mess up reception.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

Same here - otherwise he keeps it within 5 feet with no problems.

16. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris has a metal bed with no particular problems.

17. timsma

timsma Approved members

Tim's seems to go out of range for no reason. He will have it in his pocket, or on the stand next to him and it goes out of range. I really can't wait for the new Navigator to come out!