- advertisement -

How is it paid for????

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by lil'Man'sMom, Nov 27, 2010.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I have seen many "black Friday" threads on CWD and post on FB about great deals and purchases, I myself made one purchase yesterday.

While all the shopping going on is great for the economy. Where is all the extra money coming from? I know our family, while not destitute, have experienced a tightening of finances due to the economy the last few years.

My one purchase was a great deal but financially the other great deals out there just aren't in our budget. I am going to really have to bargain shop to put Christmas in our budget. Not to mention all the gatherings, that will take place over the next month, with extra food and drink expense.

So what creative budget fangling are you doing to keep it in check, and have your children enjoy a modest holiday season?

I am not a July Christmas shopper. My mother used to do a Christmas club where she contributed a small amount of money every week, so when November shopping came she had a few extra $'s to spend. Do they still have those?

2. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My husband get a lot of overtime in November and December. He is a police sgt. and there are many drunk driving grants awarded to his dept around the holidays. He banks all of the overtime money and we put it toward Christmas. I guess you can say that the stupidity of drunk drivers funds our Christmas! We live off of his paycheck only so I typically bank whatever money I make during the week ( I babysit children during the week). That extra money comes in handy around the holidays.

3. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

Christmas Club accounts still exist. We do this every year through our credit union and put $50 a week into the account. With the addition of our fourth child last December we have now upped the weekly deposit to $75 a week. It's direct deposit so we don't miss the money that we "don't have". And no, we don't spend all of it on Christmas. We use a chunk of it to pay towards an extra house or car payment. It forces us to save because once we access the funds we can't contribute anymore to that account until the re-enrollment time each November.

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I started getting little things here and there as I saw them. Also, really cutting back on who we are giving to (I have a HUGE family) and what we are giving.

I'm really only giving things to my kiddos and nephews. The grown ups are getting small things. DH is getting two small gifts that I found on sale.

5. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

We also have a Christmas Club account at our credit union. We live on a budget, and I can't just absorb the holidays into our normal budget. We put money in once a month since we are paid monthly. We also put enough so that I can withdraw some at every child's birthday too. My husband has a Christmas Club of his own too, but he puts in money for taxes, car titles, insurance, etc. that come once a year but need to be budgeted for. I do try to figure out in summertime what Santa will bring & what it will cost so I can recognize a good deal when I see it. This year I shopped Black Friday from my computer & it was much better than standing in line! I stuck to my budgeted amount per person, but got some things I couldn't have afforded otherwise. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite, because we are in debt and have lots to work on. This is just one way we try not to make it worse!

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

The adults on both sides have decided not to exchange gifts this year, at least not store bought. I was thinking of making muffins of different kinds to give out to family members. As for the kids, we will get them a few things that they really want within our budget and hope that their grandparents can handle some of the big money items.

I just remember Christmas growing up. We were dirt poor and really didnt get much for Christmas as far as gifts but what I remember now is Mom's cooking:) and the decorations around the house, and the beautiful Christmas tree and the music playing on the record player. Thats what I want to do for my kids more then buying them their hearts desire. Give them those memories that my Mom gave me. One thing that we do each year that we absolutely love, is to drive around some of the local towns and look at people's Christmas lights. Then we go home and have a snack of Christmas cookies and watch Christmas shows and movies

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Thankfully, I'm not really tight on money.

However, I buy things year round so I don't have the burden all at once, and buy as I see sales. Luckily, this makes it easy to avoid the mad rush as well!

My parents' favorite trick when I was growing up (and we were dirt poor for awhile) was to give essentials as gifts: underwear and socks and winter coats!

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I want to laugh when I see someone report on TV that the market is up and stores are showing that the USA is coming out of the economic hole we've been in for 2-3 yrs, because no where close to here has anyone seen or felt this monetary "relief" or "security." Our fridge has been empty for at least a month, we've been eating beans and rice and canned veggies, my kids are quite sick of it. I'm thankful for school meals - at least I know they have fruit, milk, and meat there. For Christmas we will do practical gifts (shoes, coats, clothes found at the best deals, nothing fancy) and make cards ourselves, and for the stockings we will do socks, barretts, pocket calendar/planners, fruit (oranges, pears, apples, bananas).

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I buy for his mum, my mum and 1 aunt,(and a secret santa we do) we don't exchange, we don't need to, we're always together and buy what we need when we need it.

I spent, $18.00 on Mum, $3.00 on my Aunt, and I think $10 on his Mum, I calculate everything on the fact it was 2 for 1 or 3 for 1(as in Mums shoes) My Aunt and I play the who can get the nicest under $5 gift, hers was a 2 for with a $5 coupon, she'll be so proud of me :)(we're very Scottish)

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I find bargains here and there throughout the year. We have always had a tight budget. I've become pretty good at stretching dollars like crazy over the years. There are certain shops on ebay where you can find things perfectly new for lower prices,including shoes,video games (those are 2 things my kids would want that I have purchased online.) If you are buying for adults you can often find HUGE dept store tester sized perfumes and colognes cheaper than the normal sized bottles go for in stores. You just have to shop around.

I'd imagine tho that most of the spending America is doing now isn't so much a sign of the economy picking up, as much as it is a sign that people are using more credit cards. That's just more debt.

11. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

thankfully this year my hubby is working a lot of government jobs so he has to get paid their wages not his normal wages. What I normally do is make sure all my bills are not past due for December and not pay as many as I can get away with. Then play catch up when we get our taxes back. Not the best way to go about it but it works.

12. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Thankfully my son is a clean freak with his toys so I sold the ones he no longer plays with, he thinks disney cars and toy story are for babies now. So they went on craigslist and I got some presents with that. I've been picking up a few here and there on clearance for several months.

13. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I work all summer and do not bill (cleaning houses for summer people) until now .. so we can pay bills with it and do Christmas ... I am hoping to use the biggest chunk for a trip to Disney .. but we will see.

Crystal

14. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I come from a large family with 8 of us siblings, each with a family. We have a tradition that my dad 'draws names' so that each family gives to 1 or 2 of the nieces and nephews and my mom gives one gift to each of the grandchildren. We do not give gifts to the adults. We contribute money to a charity in the family's name. And we have a used cd exchange and a white elephant (stuff we don't want, re-gifts) amongst the adults that are in town each year.

We don't exchange gifts with dh's 2 sisters or families.

So I this year, I'm only buying gifts for 2 nieces, Alex, Neal, and dh. I will probably get a gc for one of my friends as that seems to be a tradition now...basically we get each other the same gift....a gc to the scrapbook store. Alex does need a new laptop so that will be expensive but the rest of the gifts will probably be $200 total.

I guess that seems cheap that we don't give gifts to lots of people....but it works for us.

15. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

My only purchases this holiday weekend:

Storage containers for the extra turkey (my big ones disappeared, so I spent $14 on some that weren't even on sale, but the platter and foil just wasn't cutting it after 3 days...)
    2 new door keys (the kids lost mine last week, so I replaced it and got a spare)

Yep, that's it!

I'm not big on holiday shopping... I think Christmas as it currently is, is just an overly commercialized JOKE that fools too many people into going out and spending too much money that they don't have because for whatever foolish reason they feel like they "have" to. It's not the holiday as it was intended to be celebrated, and this year we are just flat out not participating (and yes, you are reading that right - it means NO PRESENTS!) We will probably get together as a family for dinner, but we're not doing gifts.

16. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Something we do, is only buy for kids...and our parents. With the kids we do a $10-15 gift or gift card. And for my parents...my 2 brothers and I went in together bought thier gifts.

As for my kids...we get them clothes (like 2 jeans/shirts) a piece, every year they get new socks and boxers, and a couple toys/video games/whatever a piece.

One thing I did this year was clip coupons for a few gift basket things I put together. (as in a lotion/body soap basket, Air freshner/candle basket)

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

I couldn't have said this better myself!

18. sooz

sooz Approved members

I understand not giving adults presents, but do you mean Santa isnt going to come to your house? I know when times were tough when I was young my parents would buy things at thrift shops and fix them up, or make things, or just give a jump rope or coloring book or paper dolls. Do your children not know about santa? Will they be upset? For little ones, santa is such a magical thing. I guess it's just the grandma in me.

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We kind of try to make Christmas stuff that's "needed". For example, last year the kids all got bicycles. One was broken, one was too small, and one didn't have a usable bike at all. So it was really a purchase that had to be made anyway, and we stalled until Santa.

I think the trick is to not spend money during the rest of the year on stuff, then when Christmas comes around it's really special. In past years, Christmas has kind of been more glitzy cr!p that they play with a couple hours then lose in the closet. Now we're a lot more conscious about what we get for the holiday, and tighter throughout the year with purchases.

But for the specifics, our families usually give us a cash gift for Christmas, and they give it a little early so we use that for the kids. :eek:

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Most years I write on the side and stock it away to cover Christmas. Since I finishing my grad degree (14 more days and a thesis to go!), I have not had alot of time to write, but I am getting my final school reimbursement check 2 weeks before Christmas - talk about timing!