- advertisement -

How hormones affect blood sugar in teen girls :) Articles attached

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PatriciaMidwest, May 12, 2010.

1. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Warning: Major girl talk ahead.

I came across a few articles that might be helpful for other moms of teen girls. They do a nice job explaining how the female monthly cycle affects diabetics. One is co-authored by Gary Scheiner.

Basically, in the first 2 weeks of the cycle before ovulation the body can be much more insulin sensitive. This is due to the effects of progesterone and estrogen, although I don't understand in detail why those hormones change senstitivity. This is when we see a lot of crazy, unexplained lows, but YMMV. The day your period starts is considered day 1.

Days 14-28 Roughly are the post ovulation phase (of course in young girls this may vary). Now the body becomes very insulin resistance and the resistance can continue building until the period starts.

As Gary's article states, some of us will only notice this effect right before the period starts, when we have unexplained highs and need more insulin. Others will see an impact throughout the month (this is the unfortunate group we fall in). YMMV.

Gary Scheiner: Effects of Monthly Cycle on Glucose Control

Here's another one - less technical

http://www.africansisters.com/women/Challenges_of_blood_sugar.html

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Thanks (and no thanks :(). Fun times ahead!

3. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

That sounds crazy!!! How do you set up that pump or adjust ratios on MDI for these day to day changes!?!?! Pictures himself with the calculator. Ok, so that's 13g for this, 23g for that, and you drank 12g of milk. That is 48g of carbs, multiply by some crazy factor, that's 9 units. You are on day 15, so that's 15 multiply by the girly factor, divided by the time of day, minus 3 just for the hell of it. Oh, and you were high on top of that, so that's plus 1 unit. You need to give yourself 28 units. Go go!! I shall crawl under a rock in fetal position now and don't let me out until D is cured. Thank you.

4. PatriciaMidwest

It IS crazy. Fortunately, not every girl will be affected all month long so you may get lucky.

We use the "patterns" in our pump, which sets a totally new basal schedule. I use B pattern for Before as in Before period when she needs way more insulin. I use A pattern for "After" as in After period starts when she needs way less insulin. I have to keep things simple for this brain getting little sleep. Then I tweak from there (can't just set to Pattern B for 2 weeks and forget it because her insulin needs continue to climb).

I also manually adjust the DIA and sometimes the sensitivity factors (ISF), but YMMV.

5. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

LMAO.. Tim you have NAILED it... I will be joining you under the rock as long as there is room.. ( i may have to go find my own, but figured a CWD party could start once others join us too !)

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Yippee! :eek: Can't wait!

7. PatriciaMidwest

That about covers it, LOL. Can you write a software package for us?

You didn't really refer to a "crazy" factor in a pms post, did you? hahaha.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I really feel for all you parents who's daughters have to go through this. It sounds pretty rough. I am so glad I have decided not to let mine go through puberty. :p

9. 22jules

22jules Approved members

LOL--Good luck with that!

10. skimom

skimom Approved members

My daughter would absolutely die if she knew i was writing this - so far we have found things VERY predictable - doctor suggested a few months of keeping good records to determine a trend then set temp basal rates and bolus rates to make it work. Daughter actually predicts the onset of her period based on BG ( of course I look for the PMS etc and usually a good glass of red wine to help me through )
    SO far so good - I just can't get over the huge differences in insulin needs!-

11. PatriciaMidwest

Just curious -- How much more insulin does she need? Does it only affect a few days or more?

12. swimmom10

swimmom10 New Member

My daughter just turned 12 and has not started yet. I am glad we are about to start CGM next week. Here numbers are crazy as it is without adding female issues.

13. PatriciaMidwest

That is great...I have found the CGMS very, very helpful.

I have the last 60+ days of daily charts printed out from Carelink - it shows the basal rates used, the sensor data etc and then I went in and wrote Day 1, Day 2 as discussed above to identify the patterns. You can really see when the insulin sensitivity/resistance set in.

Before reading the articles and using CGMS, I could never understand why would be low for days on end and then suddenly the pattern would reverse and we would need tons more insulin.

In case it sounds like I know it all, I don't and our numbers still often suck. But at least we are starting to make some sense of it. I think. Maybe.

14. skimom

skimom Approved members

I would have to double check but it is in the neighbor hood of 20-30% more insulin for about 3-4 days before ( she has to take big corrections which aren't that effective) then a huge switch the other way where she takes her normal amount of insulin or less for 2 or 3 days once her period starts..