- advertisement -

how does science work?

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by wilf, May 24, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I appreciate that CWD does not permit promotion of products without scientific evidence. We've almost all been approached with those products.

The following is a short read on the topic of anecdotal evidence -full text at the link (and wise geek could be similar to wiki so apologies to those who require more scholastic references).

What is Anecdotal Evidence?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anecdotal-evidence.htm

"Where anecdotal evidence gets very problematic, though, is when people make decisions that may affect their health or well-being based solely on it. For instance, there are many herbal medications and alternative medical theories and treatments that people decide to use largely based on anecdote. Now sometimes a preponderance of this evidence may suggest that there's a good reason to try different things, but unfortunately many of these alternative treatments and therapies are not just there for the health and happiness of humans. People who offer them are profit motivated too."

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I feel like I'm being made fun of but not getting it - maybe I'm punch happy.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I was saying that I like your posts...not made fun of at all.

4. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I think you bring up a lot of good points in a well written post.
    ~Rukio

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. swellman

I'm sorry and thank you - I'm starting to read sarcasm into every post. :confused:

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Gee - I wonder why? (see - THAT is sarcasm :rolleyes:)

7. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

8. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Jeg=yes

Jeg I agree, I mean, look at how many of the used inventions now aday were even invented till the 19 hundreds. Look at gravity (lawl), it wasn't proven to exist till a while back. Yet people had to know something was keeping them on the ground.

(Give me a break please, I'm trying to remember from my science book x.x Plus my waking number/current number was 360 =P))

9. swellman

@Kristi

Firstly let me state I have no opinion on diabetic alert dogs. I have read a few posts but not in detail and I have been curious since my son wants a dog but not curious enough to Google it.

I had wondered how far away can the dog be and still alert?

What is the reliability - in other words what percentage of time do the alerts correlate with either a high or low?

Has anyone mentioned a mechanism for how it works? Is it smell? Visual? Voice? Body language?

I know this is a stupid question, I think, but you didn't mean the dog got on the roller coasters, right? Assuming that's correct what do you do with the dog when on the coaster?

Is there a certain breed that's better at it than others? What breed is your?

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Could you please provide what information you have about this study, even if it's just the name of the researcher?

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I wondered this too.. I've seen dogs scuba dive.. and have you ever seen the funniest home video of the dog in the airplane that does a loop? the dog ends up weighless and is floating about the cabin of the plane.. he looks kind of worried.. but also has the look on his face of 'here we go again'.. I love that video.. but wonder what the heck the dog is thinking. lol

12. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Its probably thinking "bet the cat wishes they could do this!"
    xDDD That would be interesting, to see a dog on a RC, but Katie janes mom did say her daughters dog can alert from afar. So maybe thats what she meant?

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Certainly I believe that some dogs can detect highs and lows. At what thresholds, I'm not sure, and with what accuracy, I'm not sure. But when I read about dogs who alert from great distances with hundreds of other people around, dogs who are more accurate than a BG meter (not a CGM, but an actual METER), and dogs who have more features than the CGMs on the market, my eyes start rolling in opposite directions.

For me personally, the biggest downside of a dog (besides actually having to own a dog) is that they attract a lot of attention. I have no interest in drawing attention to Jack's diabetes at all times when we are out and about. But I get the feeling that the attention-getting aspect of a dog is actually the biggest draw for some.

14. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Ja, dogs are hard work and can attract attention. For me, when I take corgi places no one even really notices her. In fact, more people notice the bright orange tag hanging off my bag that has my T1D information on it.

15. hawkeyegirl

Who is "Jeg"?

16. Rukio

Rukio Banned

*Feels stupid* I have been doing so much typing in Norwegian, its norwegian for yes. >.<

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Are you sure?

18. hawkeyegirl

Google translator says that "Ja" is Norwegian for yes and "Jeg" is "I".

19. Rukio

Rukio Banned

*tired and stupid* I keep typing Jeg as in Jeg heter... (my name is)
    The correct word is Ja. I apologize.
    Bloodsugar: 187 so thats not the reason. Probably sleepiness.

20. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I fixed it.