- advertisement -

How do you store Udi's so you can make a daily sandwiche?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by tsoccer5, Dec 8, 2010.

1. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

our Trader Joe's is now carrying Udi's so I can get it all the time
    in the past we have stored bread in the fridge
    but my dd is in school and I would love to send a sandwiche
    would you store it at room temp? it says not to refridgerate it

If you use it daily for sandwiches how do you store it?

TIA!

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

I keep all my bread in the freezer - Udi's, Rudi's & home made. I can generally chisel of several pieces - enough for 1 - 2 sandwiches. Home made bread I package it in 2 slice packs.

Edit to add: Even if I ate bread daily, I'd still keep it in the freezer and get out only what I needed.

You don't want to keep bread in the fridge. It dries it out too fast. Wheat bread you could probably get away with that. GF bread is not as forgiving.

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/souptonuts/kitchen_bread.html

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. dvane

dvane Approved members

We keep ours on the counter. 1 loaf lasts about a week or so.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We were keeping it in the fridge, but the last loaf, I've just left out and its been fine. Other breads fall apart easily but the Udi's seems to stay pretty fine

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We leave it on the counter here. Once in a while I forget to thaw out a loaf, and then we use Al's method;)

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I keep Udi's bagels in the freezer until I make the sandwich. (In your situation, I'd just thaw it, make the school lunch, and send it off in a tightly-sealed container. With lunchmeats or peanut butter, etc., I think the bread would stay moist for the few hours between making the lunch and your child eating it.)

For homemade bread, I keep it in a big Lock'nLock container (hermetic seal) on the counter.

7. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Same here. It stays soft and lasts on the counter. With 3 celiacs in the house the small loaf doesn't last long enough to go bad.

8. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

my question is how do you defrost it to use it that day?
    I make everyone else's lunches the night before, I do not
    mind making hers in the morning

9. aklap

aklap Approved members

I 'wave it for about 10-20 seconds. However, I eat mine at that point in time. It's warm and moist. I haven't tried it, but you might consider making it frozen and let it thaw naturally. GF bread seems to do better texture-wise if thaws by itself - less dry.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Just make it with the bread frozen, either at night or in the morning. My husband has always kept his home made bread frozen, either GF or not. He packages it in sandwich bags before freezing it, then makes his lunch with it at night. Even if you make it in the morning, it will be thawed out by lunchtime. The Udi's is kept frozen at the store until they put it out onto the shelves. I was at Whole Foods when they were putting the frozen loaves out on the shelf.

11. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

I always pan cook Alyssa's bread with butter before making her a sandwich. She loves it that way.

Al, do you prefer Udi's or Rudi's bread. We have only tried Udi's but was curious about the other.

12. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Angie, I prefer Udi's. Rudi's bread is a little on the dry side for me when it's consumed at room temp. Udi's is softer, more flexible at room temp.

Since I don't consume a huge amount of bread any more (used to have 1 loaf a day habit pre-GF), I keep all my baked goods in the freezer and get them out as needed. This means for the bread (homemade or any store-bought), I need to put them in the microwave to thaw them. When they come out of the 'wave it's warm, moist and flexible.

Brownies, cookies, bars, etc - I'll eat frozen. Frozen Brownies are the best!! These Pumpkin Streusel Cheesecake Bars are good frozen too! :cool: Put these things on a stick, and we've got the next GF snack food craze... ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I keep a loaf in the 'fridge and one for backup in the freezer. I wish I never discovered Udi's. It was so much easier not to eat bread before this discovery ;) .

14. Melissata

Al, That recipe looks good, but when I looked at the price and the ingredients for those mixes, I put it back on the shelf. Now that I have all of these different flours, I refuse to pay that much for a mix. Mark says the last bread that I made was awesome. I tweaked a recipe from allrecipes.com for gf white bread for bread machines. I used both brown and white rice flour, potato starch, quinoa, and tapioca flour. He was so impressed with it that he texted me at lunchtime that I should patent it! Last night I made him a pineapple upside down cake from the Gluten Free Kitchen book.
    Anyone that is using mixes should really look at this book. The only ingredients that it uses are cornstarch and potato starch, along with one of the gums. Those are the same ingredients that are in the Gluten Free pantry french bread and pizza mix. You have to add a bunch of ingredients to the mixes, so why not just measure out a couple of cups of corn and potato starch too? Of course you can add other flours that up the nutritional content, but this book would be great for working moms.

15. aklap

aklap Approved members

Oh yeah, mixes can be expensive. My Bro & SIL were home for T'giving and made that while they were here. Peg bakes mostly from scratch, but we do have a few mixes on hand for convenience. We've got a whole section of our pantry designated for GF flours.

[​IMG]
    This is taken 2 years ago.

While she loves to tweak and make custom flour blends for each type of baked good, we're finding that as people as for the recipe - they don't have all the different flours on hand. So, she started switching her recipes over to Jules GF flour mix. Often times she'll replace some of the Jules with GF sorghum flour to bump up the nutritional value a bit. A couple times we've put together a "kit" for people. We've included enough flour blend, recipe and instructions. A few weeks ago, we did this for someone that wanted to bake GF cookies for their boss at work. Since this person is not GF, I typed up a 8 page document on cross contamination,etc on how to successfully make these cookies. We don't want the boss getting sick - that would not win them any points! ;)

16. Melissata

Hi Al, I should do that with the flours that I have. Right now I have them all in Ziplock bags, and then in a big basket that I keep in the pantry area. Problem is the ziplock bags are hard to close after they get a bit of flour in them. Thanks for the idea! I am going to measure out a couple of bags of the flours that I used for the bread that Mark really liked and that way he can make a loaf in the breadmaker without having to measure so much.
    He is over one month into the trial, and is going to do at least 2 before he does a challenge. If his symptoms all go away, then he won't even challenge himself. I am starting to suspect he has a problem with dairy also, but he doesn't even want to think about that. I think that we may get some lactaid instead of doing a challenge.

17. aklap

aklap Approved members

Yeah, those Glad Containers work really well. We also keep the higher protein flours/blends in the freezer - sorghum, soy, brown rice, bean flours. Flours with higher protein can go rancid. Storing them in the freezer helps prevent this.

18. Melissata

Mine are all in the freezer now in containers, but I am finding that I am going through it quickly. DH is really happy that I have made him some pizza crust from Gluten Free Kitchen that is also in the freezer. One recipe from the internet was gosh awful! I also made Bob's Red Mill cornbread from the package of cornmeal and we all loved that. It really is getting a whole lot easier.