- advertisement -

How do you keep records/log

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Sep 29, 2014.

1. kail

kail Approved members

Hi

We've been doing this for about 9 months and have not found a great way to keep records to help us manage her trends. I'm struggling to find something that is convenient, helpful and that both my DH and I can agree on. We are on MDI plus lantus and carb counting. When DD was first diagnosed I found an app called My Net Diabetes which I have found helpful for figuring out carb counts and keeping some data. However it is a bit tedious to log it all there and my DH refuses to use it so if I want it complete then I have to transfer his hand written notes every night and it just doesn't always happen. Also when I am trying to look for patterns to try to tweak her medications, it is difficult to figure out. You can go day by day but it is still awkward. We tried just writing down the foods/counts/insulin in notebook just to have if we need to go back and study but its not in any chart form. My DH tends to just write each meal on a sticky note as he is making her food and then he leaves it for me to see and do what I want with it but its not good for long term records. I have not been downloading the meter since I can get a feel for the numbers on the my net diabetes app if I am good about entering data but the endo gives print outs to us every 3 months. Have considered buying a cord to download but have not done it yet. I'm just wondering what everyone else does. My DH does not think it really necessary to keep a detailed log of all her intake/meds past the day of interest but I'm the one who ends up trying to figure out if adjustments need to be made and since we take turns managing it (same home but he watches her when I work), it is hard to get the full picture sometimes. I asked our endo but he sort of agreed with DH that we only need to do it periodically when things seem off and we need to make adjustments so I tried to be more relaxed about it but it drives me a bit crazy especially when I start feeling like we could be doing better than we are but I'm not sure how to adjust. Frustrated. Does anyone have a chart/template, software.....etc that is great?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When we did MDI, I created a table in Word for different periods of the day (night - breakfast - lunch - supper - bedtime) where I wrote carb counts, doses, etc. On the edge, I wrote that night's lantus dose & any observations I noted or changes I made. I kept the notebook at the table & then at bedtime I added the lantus & observations.

When she started the pump, I immediately quit logging because we can get all kinds of data from her meters, pumps, and CGM. Haven't missed it at all until recently. Recently, I started pasting a screen shot of her Dexcom graphs for the data into a word document and writing a blurp about what I thought I was seeing at the end of each day. It only lasted for a few days, but I found the tweaks I thought I was seeing needed made. I'd do that again; the visual is so much more my style than the data.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Until we got the Dexcom I kept paper logs constantly (for 10 yrs). I had my own sheet which I could fit a whole week on so it was easy for me to see which day is which as weekends tends to be different . Also the times of day were lined up so for instance all 2pms were in one vertical column. Though it had room for lots of info, mostly I logged bg checks, Levemir doses and unusual events like exercise or eating pizza. I am happy to email it to anyone who wants it.

4. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

We have been using an app called MySugr. We love it. I can keep records on my phone or tablet and my daughter can input numbers on her phone and it will sync. It shows graphs, trends and it is a lighthearted bit of fun using it. Our diabetes team loved it and were keen to get more patients using it. The basic version is free, but if you pay 19.99 you can set timers for post meal tests, look up previously entered meals, and take pictures of say a slice of pizza and record the carbs and insulin for future reference. I can't say enough good about it. We really like it and it has renewed my interest in logging. Oh, you can also export it as a pdf and print it off. Excellent support team as well.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We started using the MySugar app in January. Love it for all the reasons stated above. We also attach pics of the Dex com screen on particularly good days....good inspiration on troubling days.

6. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

We use MySugar too and love it but if you are using an iPhone don't update. It will not load and/or crashes constantly now. I have an iPhone 5s and I updated the IOS and that is exactly when it started. My son has an iPhone 4, not updated, and it still works fine on that.

I'm very grumpy about it because I did most of the logging and looked at the school logs etc.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think it depends upon what you want to log. Mysugr sounds great. On MDI, we used BlueLoop, which was recommended by our school nurse as a way to instantly see what was happening at school and I really liked it. It's a little more simple than what others are saying about Mysugr, but it gets the job done and the phone app is very simple and easy to use.

8. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Good to know. I've just gone back to an Android phone, but I moved MySugr to my iPad. I haven't gotten around to updating my iPad yet. Guess I'll keep it that way.

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I have not used it but I have a friend with a teen son on MDI and he uses a BG meter that connects to the internet in real time so you can get all the readings online without having to enter them manually or sync periodically. (We were looking into this before we got Dexcom approval). It's called Telcare. http://www.telcare.com/ Uses its own strips, though, so you would need to make sure your insurance covered them. Hope this helps!

10. kail

kail Approved members

thanks everyone for the ideas. jenm999-I hadn't heard of that before. It looks interesting. I would love to be able to see her numbers while she is with dad or at school. My Net diabetes is a pretty good app and would allow me to see what she is eating, numbers and dosing while I am at work IF my husband used it. But he wont'. But I also don't feel like it is easy to see trends with it. I will look at Mysugr. I suppose I just need to create a template. I haven't been able to convince my husband that it is helpful to be able to look back and see that she goes higher then expected when she eats cereal A --for example or whatever. I started feeling lately that her numbers were a bit more volatile. We have higher post meal spikes than before and less tolerance of our errors I think as the honeymoon wears a bit. Im trying to figure out if we need to increase the lantus a touch or tweak our ratios or if it is just certain meals that mess us up (like the dreaded bean burrito that is her favorite) and I don't have good data so I feel a bit lost.

11. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I looked at BlueLoop since MySugr quit working for me. I love BlueLoop. Very stream line. It also sends text messages which I like a lot. It freezes and notes in the reviews that the issues are with the recent update. IOS 8 is EVIL.

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Is it possible that we are married to the same man?!?!?;)

13. moco89

moco89 Approved members

This is kind of nerdy, but because one of the things I am trained to do is program, particularly data structures (I am an electrical engineering student), I write my own programs. I am currently working on the Ambulatory Glucose Profile (AGP), which is described fully here. Basically, it is a visual and statistical representation of the past 14 days of CGM data. I am currently doing this for the Dexcom, but I intend on adding things like modified IOB (including residual basal insulin) from my pump, to further analyze this data. Unfortunately, I am doing it in MATLAB (because that is what I am trained in and I am very proficient in this language), not something open-source like Javascript (js), particularly D3.js, so I cannot fully contribute to the NightScout CGM in the Cloud project. My work can be seen here. https://github.com/diabeticgonewild/Ambulatory_Glucose_Profile/blob/master/main.m

A sample of the AGP is below:
    AGP.jpg

14. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

I use Diasend system that came with our pump. I love it, but our Endo likes using the paper log, so I keep writing down numbers in the notepad with a pencil.

15. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My most recent log chart (haven't used it in probably 2 or 3 years, lol) wasn't really great for everything, but it was great for seeing trends. I have the document here, it won't let me upload an .xls file. If you pm me your email address I will email it to you. (that goes for anyone who wants to see it)

Anyway, it's not too hard to make. I'll describe it the best I can, and you can figure out if it will work.

I used excel spreadsheets. Rows for days of the week, each day having a row for BG reading, carbs, and insulin given. I made one box for each hour of the day, skipping some of the night hours because there wasn't enough room.

So, if he tests at 8:15, in the 8-9 hour box, write the number. Then if he tests again at 8:56, I would just write it in the 9-10 hour.

Doing it this way makes the boxes pretty small (even if you make the margins tiny), and there isn't much room to make extra notes about "trouble foods" or exercise, but you can see an entire week at once. It made it easier to see patterns of highs/lows (which can be highlighted in one color, lows in a different color). Also, with this type of chart, you are more likely get cooperation from your DH--it's as easy to write it on a paper as it is a sticky note, right? I love technology, but sometimes good old fashioned paper is easier to grasp.

I agree with you--you need to look further back than the current day to see if changes need to be made. I don't think you need to go back much further than 2-3 weeks. I make changes based on no less than a week of fairly consistent patterns, and I wait at least three more days before changing again, sometimes more like a week, unless it's obviously causing lows. It seems there's always something in those first three days that causes an "outlier"--something like a birthday party, or eating pizza, or whatever, that might throw the numbers off.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works well for you.

16. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I log Ashleigh's numbers onto Microsoft excel spreadsheet. Then once a week I go over her pump history and fill out when she corrected a bs or bolused for food. I also have a Microsoft word document with all her pump settings. We've been doing this method for about 2 years. Just recently I downloaded mysugr app onto my iPad. I like that it will show a graph of her numbers.

17. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I tried to download blue loop but it made my iPad freeze up. None of my apps worked. Once I removed it, everything was fine.