- advertisement -

How do you figure out correction

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, May 21, 2011.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Hello all,

DS sugar was 303 at 3:35. I gave him 1 unit and want to figure out how much insulin he needs to correct highs. Can someone help me? I'm going to have him check every 15 mins.

TIA

OK here's what we have so far:

3:35 303
    4:00 285
    4:10 294
    4:40 243
    5:05 272
    5:35 219

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. wilf

wilf Approved members

What's his TDD and weight?

3. Charmed7

TDD?

He weighs 100

He gets 15.5 units of lantus if that answers the TDD.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

TDD is Total daily dose. that would include basal dose and usual bolus doses added together. Did the endo or CDE go over correction factors with you? For Steven 1 unit will drop him around 50 points depending on activity. Sometimes if he is very active it will drop him quite a bit more

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

From your signature, your child has had diabetes for 8 years. Have you not had to correct for a high before? Didn't you do corrections when your child was on the pump?

There is an interesting story there some place.

While everyone here has great advice, I learned this sort of thing from the endo -- at least it was mentioned.

6. Charmed7

Sorry for not giving whole back story, I had a newborn in my arms and was typing with one hand lol. Very labor intensive.

DS's correction has been .5 units brings him down 110 for the longest time. I had one Endo "understand" that he's very sensitive to insulin and suggested this correction, & when he was on the pump so many years ago, he was on this correction. Then we got another endo, and they looked at me like I was crazy for his correction and threw out a "lets try xyz correction." I wasn't being a good listener at the time and forgot what they suggested but it always made me nervous to make the change because I didn't want him to drop drastically. Especially since the only time I would be able to try the new dose is at night before bed time (I work all day) or on the weekends when I'm running a million errands. So I just never did. He's diabetes is under pretty good control so I never worried about it. There was always something more pressing. So tonight he came down with a 303 sugar so I figured I would find out how much a unit drops him. Obviously, the previous correction isn't enough. So now I just want to figure out what is enough and update his records.

make sense?

I'm also worried though, if his insulin to carb ratio changes during the day, would the correction dose change too? These are things I just haven't retained over the years. My brain is full of carb counts on food items, so there's no room left! ha ha.

Oh, and how could you know what his totals for the day when his carbs change from day to day. I mean, some days he can have 10 units a day and others 20... all depends on what he eats (and if he grows that day lol)

So by the looks like 1 unit dropped him 84 in two hours...or am I looking at this all wrong.

Thanks again.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

You need to help us out here.. :)

For an average day, what is the total of his Lantus plus all boluses and corrections? What ever that amount is, it's his TDD and it can be used to develop a rough estimate of a Correction Factor.

If I understand your posts correctly, to date you have been using 0.5 to 110, or 1:220 (ie. one unit drops him 220 points). If so, the 1 unit you gave him should have been just about perfect. Keep testing, and you'll see how close it is. But no need to test all the frequently - hourly is enough (so at 6:30 and 7:30 pm). Any correction will be done by 7:30 pm..

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

So what were blood sugars at 6:30 and 7:30 pm?

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you know the carb ratio and the amount that one carb raises his blood sugar, you can just multiply them for a reasonable estimate of how much one unit will lower blood sugar.

Or, you can try it and see.

Welcome back and congrats on the baby.

10. Charmed7

At 5:40 we ate dinner but it was mac & cheese, so i usually give him insulin after dinner, but since he was 218, I gave him 1 unit correction, plus 1.5 units for his dinner. At 7:15 he was 294, and wanted a snack. So I gave him a granola bar, and one unit for the food but didn't correct since I figured it was b/c of the pasta he was still high, plus his lantus and then sent him off to bed. He woke up this morning at 83.

So I think I at least have a better correction for the evening. Next weekend I'll have to check to see if his correction for the morning is the same since his carb ratio is 1:15 during the day and 1:25 at night.

If his TDD is between 30-35 and weight is 100, what would the calculation say his correction is?

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My calculation, of BCR*IC=ISF, would suggest one unit to lower him 75 mg/dl in the daytime or one unit to lower him 125 mg/dl at night, based on the guess that one gram of carb raises his bg 5 mg/dl (based on his weight), and the 1:1 and 1:25 ratios.

12. Charmed7

Thank you everyone!

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Several reference texts have the 1800 Rule - which suggests that a first rough estimate of your Correction Factor can be determined by dividing 1800 by TDD.

TDD of 30 would suggest a Correction Factor of 1:60, that is 1 unit to drop him 60 points..

TDD of 35 would suggest a Correction Factor of 1:51, that is 1 unit to drop him 51 points..

Based on our experience I would only use 1/2 corrections at night, so the Correction Factor would change to between about 1:100 and 1:120.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

To figure out how much one unit brings him down, give a correction when there is no other active insulin.. its easiest to give a full unit correction, then check every hour for the duration that the insulin is active for your child (3 to 4 hours most of the time).. actually, I'd go one hour more.. so if your typical active insulin time is 3 hours, check for 4 hours, if its 4, then check for 5.. with no eating or doing anything out of the ordinary while you are testing.. Take the starting number and subtract it from the ending number, there you have your correction factor.. check another hour out to see if there was any more change, and this way you can also check on active insulin duration too if you aren't sure of it.. the 'rules' don't always work. K's ISF is 280, when the 'rules' say it should be about 125 or so.. 280 usually works very well for her, sometimes she's a little more insulin sensitive or resistant so we'll have to adjust it.

15. Charmed7

Thanks Flutterby, that seems to be how I did it, and it seems to be working. Appreciate everyones help!!!