- advertisement -

How do YOU do untethered?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Jun 20, 2010.

?

How do YOU pump untethered?

1. CWD keeps pump on all the time with very slow basal

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. CWD totally disconnects between boluses

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Pump is left running to avoid insulin blocking tube

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other method to keep insulin from blocking tube

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

DS is currently using Levemir and only hooking up to his pump at mealtimes to get his bolus. I have the pump in a glucometer case with the end (inset 30) covered with a snap on cover that comes with the inset 30's.

If you pump untethered, how do you store the pump and have you had any problems with the insulin crystallizing in the tubing or tip of infusion set?

2. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

I don't think I have ever heard of this before...
    So you have a pump but choose not to wear except to get a meal bolus from it? Is this easier for you than just using a syringe to give the meal bolus?

3. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I do 12 lantus and 14 pump basal. I wear my pump unless I'm swimming or doing a moderate-high intensity sport/activity.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We don't do untethered, but we disconnect for hours sometimes for swimming or gymnastics.

I always suspend. I have never had a problem with "crystalizing" that others have talked about. I typically prime a little before I reconnect to make sure it didn't "draw back" into the tubing.

One of the main reasons I suspend is so I have an accurate record of what she got for basal - if I don't suspend, the pump thinks she's getting basal when she's not and its hard for me to analyze the trends if its not giving me an accurate picture

5. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Ben & Lilly both totally disconnect and bolus through the pump for food & corrections. It is working great for both of them. It gives us the ability to take advantage of the Bolus wizard without having the pump on all the time!

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Well, it's less sticks because DS eats pretty often - I use the Ping remote to figure IOB and how much to give him for his carbs. And I don't have to keep a log manually, the remote keeps it for me. :) Also, I like the smaller increments available, I can be more precise in dosing.

7. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Can you turn off the suspended alarm? We aren't pumping untethered (yet anyway), but we leave it running when we disconnect for swimming or sports or the alarms drive us crazy!

8. chammond

chammond Approved members

I was just messing with this today to turn the vibrate setting off on logan's pump. If you go to the settings screen ( I believe?) and then the sounds I believe you should be able to turn it off or down. If not maybe you could set it to vibrate. Hope this works for you.