- advertisement -

How do you divvy up Night Checks and other T1D stuff?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Aug 21, 2014.

1. suej

suej Approved members

Do you have CGM? Yes
    How many checks per night on avg? Usually rely on CGM, test if not sure or dicy sensor, but perhaps 1 out 6 nights no alarms (set 4-8 or 72 to 144)
    Who does night checks? Mum 2/3, Dad 1/3, used to be just me, or dad did once a week but I became a zombie
    What time do you go to sleep on avg? aim for 10, usually 11-12 as I wait until sugars stable (ds has developed late night snacking habit/hunger - think he is growing)
    Does Mom work outside of the house? PT
    Does Dad work outside of the house? FT
    Who takes kids to school? Dad

We are both tired

2. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

Sorry for a lame question, I'm new. When you get a Dexcom alarm, do you get up and do the correction manually? How many times a day does that happen?

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Yes, the dexcom alarms to tell you it is sensing a high number or a low number, but you have to decide if you want to take any action. If you do, then yes, you have to get up and either give a correction, give your child some juice, turn on a temporary basal or whatever it is that needs to be done.

How many times a day just depends upon the day and where the high and low alarms are set. You'll get a lot more alarms at a high of 150, low of 80, than a high of 300, low of 70.

4. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

Do you have CGM? No
    How many checks per night on avg? 2 or 3
    Who does night checks? Me, mom
    What time do you go to sleep on avg? 10.30-11.00
    Does Mom work outside of the house? Full time
    Does Dad work outside of the house? Full time
    Who takes kids to school? Mom
    We are both tired, mom is simply brainless, has to say no everytime she gets offered a promotion.

5. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I've typed that question out several times and just haven't sent it yet, lol.

That seems incredibly overwhelming. I can see why they are not offered right out of the gate. I suppose it depends on the age of the child etc. too.

6. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Do you have CGM? yes, and I thank my lucky stars for it every day lol
    How many checks per night on avg? some nights only 1 fingerstick (if that) if cgm has been off. before cgm, a helluva lot.
    Who does night checks? yours truly =) lol
    What time do you go to sleep on avg? I try to go down at 9pm or a little after the kids but I usually don't go to sleep till 11pm.
    Does Mom work outside of the house? yes, I work 9-2 though
    Does Dad work outside of the house? yes, overnights
    Who takes kids to school? mostly me (mom)

Obviously I take care of nights, he takes care of days. He and I both know that I do way more when it comes to D care but I like it that way.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It really isn't. Decisions are no harder - actually much easier - than a finger stick because you can see what is happening in regards to the number. The Dexcom system is easy to use, easy to learn. Medtronic, not so much. I wish we'd come home from the hospital on one. They're that much of a game changer and stress reliever and give the kids a much higher quality of life with less lows and highs.

Editted to add: In regards to sleep deprivation, my daughter told me once she feels bad because she's aware how much more tired I look than other parents. When we went to Diabetes Expo last spring, we were listening to a speaker when I hissed at her, "Look at all the parents around here. I fit in. Everyone else looks exhausted, too!" She scanned the crowed and just about choked on laughter as she saw what I observed about fitting in.

8. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Do you have CGM? Yes
    How many checks per night on avg?Depends on whether or dex alarms. If it doesn't then ot depends on how comfortable I am with that sensor
    Who does night checks? Me,always me. DH tried to do it a couple times,but he always woke me up to ask for advice.I'd rather just do it myself
    What time do you go to sleep on avg?11
    Does Mom work outside of the house?no
    Does Dad work outside of the house?yes
    Who takes kids to school?

9. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Do you have CGM? Yes
    How many checks per night on avg? we get 2 alarms on average per night - that is probably 5 nights out of 7, and I will get up and test after it alarms
    Who does night checks? Me, always me. My husband sleeps through the alarms, and I figure it's only fair because he has to go to work in the morning and I don't.
    What time do you go to sleep on avg? 11:00 (but it really should be sooner considering how much sleep I lose :)
    Does Mom work outside of the house? No
    Does Dad work outside of the house? Yes
    Who takes kids to school? The bus picks them up in front of my house.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Do you have CGM? No
    How many checks per night on avg? 2
    Who does night check? I do (mom). Sometimes Ashleigh does her own night checks
    What time do you go to sleep on avg? 10-11pm
    Does Mom work outside of the house? No i'm a stay at home mom. I'm also a back up sitter for the county. So a couple days a month i do babysitting.
    Does Dad work outside of the house? Yes
    Who takes kids to school? ​I do (mom)

11. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Sorry for the caps; just easier to distinguish.

12. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Single dad here. I check at 11pm and then at 5am. Sometimes once in the night depending on the 11pm check. He has a CGM but hasn't used it in awhile. I plan to get him back on the CGM soon. The night time CGM alarms can be brutal if you really try to keep tight control, but that depends on the child. It has always been hard to consistently get Jacob's BGs to be steady overnight. Usually he needs a correction at 5am and that gets his BG decent by breakfast. I know I could be doing better but I can either get sleep or check BGs but not both. Not as a single dad anyway.

I believe pretty much the same procedure is used at Mom's place. She might check more in the middle of the night than I do.

I sleep 5 hours per night on average during the week. Mom calls in the morning to be sure Jacob and his sister are getting up for school. The two of them are on their own from 5:30am to 7:30am. I know; scary stuff. His older brother lives at home too, but is at boot camp right now. Mom is close by and will come over if she needs to. Half the time they are at her place anyway and she is available in the morning to get them off to school. Both of us work outside the home.

13. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

If you think that 2hrs is scary you'd pass out if you saw my house this summer. I can't hire a teenage girl to come hang out with my teenage boys, lol, so we just try to prepare and have backup plans.