- advertisement -

How do you commemorate your D anniversary

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by simom, Nov 13, 2008.

1. simom

simom Approved members

Hubby and I were discussing last night - next week is 1 year of D for our son.
    We don't want to "celebrate" it - but we do feel we should acknowledge the hard work he's done this year and recognize both he, and his older sister, who has been such a help to him. It has been as big an event in our family as anything else - so we feel like we need to acknowledge it.

Do you "recognize" or "commemorate" the D anniversary in your family? If so, how?

Barb
    Mom to 3
    Daughter (6, non-D)
    Son (4 - Diagnosed 11/07)
    Daughter (10 months, non-D)

2. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I have read that people do...but for us we never have had the urge to acknowledge the specific day. I guess D is in our life everyday so the 2 Dx days aren't really that big a deal for us. We do kind remember Connor's more then Delaney as he was Dx 4 days prior to Halloween and released on Halloween. So, we never have a Halloween without at least thinking about it. Delaney was Dx while on vacation in WDW. I don't think I've ever had the day happen and found I had thought about it being her anniversary.

3. Mars

Mars Approved members

Just the other day we were talking about Josh's diagnosis date, which is 1 year next week. I guess he had heard that people call it an anniversary, and he said he doesn't want to call it an anniversary. He said it wasn't a happy time, so he doesn't want to celebrate anything. He didn't say it in a bitter way, just matter of fact. Okey Dokey - he told us.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We don't really mark the day. The first year we had a check-up back at Yale on a day very close to the anniversary, so we took some new toys for the Toy Closet at the hospital where Maddie was dxd, but since then have not felt the need to mark it. Many families have a special meal or buy a gift or keepsake. It's just another one of those YDMV sort of things:cwds:

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We recognise the day.

In 2 weeks it will be 2 yrs for us. We will do what we did last year and it will probably become one of our family traditions in years to come.

We go to a restaurant of Tyler's choice. He is allowed to order WHATEVER he wants. We deal with any problems later.

For one night, we act as though we don't have D living in our house. We don't celebrate having D or the diagnosis of D. We celebrate what a successful year we have had in dealing with the highs and lows of D (excuse the pun!). It is the one night he can 'go crazy' with food!

6. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We recognize it. If nothing else we celebrate how far we have come. How mature Ryan is. How well he handles it all. But we don't really do anything special...the first year we went out to eat I think.

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We always take some sort of gift to the childrens ward at the hospital.

Phillip calls it Rufus' birthday, so we have a special tea for that.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Today is our first anniversary. I've been generally reflective all day. I tried to explain the concept to Jack, but he doesn't get it. I plan to have a talk with him after his sister goes to bed tonight and tell him how proud I am of him, and how happy I am that he's healthy. I also have a gift for him.

I was much more emotional leading up to today than I am on the day itself. Go figure.

9. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

I was diagnosed January 11 (three years coming up). It's usually a pretty emotional day personally (thoughts involving: "I can't believe it's been x years..." "I can't imagine life any other way..." "I've learned so much through all of this...", plus my friends and family call and they know exactly what to say to start the waterworks).

My friends and I have a party or celebration, of sorts, in July since we're all away at school for the full day, so we have celebrated 6 months, 1.5 years, etc. It's the day 7-11 gives away free slurpees so we always get a slurpee (the Crystal Light variety for me). I think the first 6 months was the most meaningful (I received a card from a lot of my friends expressing their love for me and admiration for how strong I am and support for future endeavors).

I would encourage anyone to mark the day with praise and love. It's nothing to dwell on since it can't be reversed (as of yet). Maybe consider what you hope to accomplish in the next year and what you've accomplished thus far.

Good luck!

10. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

For our one year we celebrated our son being alive! He was very very sick at diagnosis. We went out for dinner and then went to Toys R Us on the way home :D We'll continue to celebrate his life on his anniver. of dx.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've never paid attention, have no real idea when, mum just says early 70's, she has no idea either, just another day in the life of.............

12. BeckyND

BeckyND Approved members

Abbie's 1 year anniversary was this past Oct. 17. We bought her a bunch of balloons and a teddy bear. What we really wanted to stress was how proud we were of her as she made the adjustment of living with diabetes.

13. simom

simom Approved members

Thanks!

Thanks all for the insight. I think those of you who noted "what we've accomplished by living with D" hit the nail on the head of the feeling I am looking for.