- advertisement -

How do you bolus for cold cuts?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Jan 17, 2010.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Most cold cuts have no carbs but I have found they still cause an elevated blood sugar. Do any of you bolus for cold cuts and if so, how many carbs do you bolus with for cold cuts?

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

which cold cuts are you talking about exactly? do they have fillers in them? i dont bolus for ham or bologna or turkey which is about all hailey has..well, salami too..maybe the fat in them is making the carbs you eat with them stick around longer? i do bolus for hot dogs because it says they have 4 g. in them so i include that in the carb count..

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't:confused: Sorry I'm no help:cwds:

4. lisab

lisab Approved members

We don't dose for cold cuts as such regardless of carbs.

Do see a rise hours after eating certain types of cold cuts occasionally.

Although will do a correction later rather than induce a low by including carbs in previous bolus - especially those with high fat content.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't bolus for cold cuts unless they're eaten as part of a meal. They may cause a longer digestion for us.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep Im with Paula, if they are eaten in a sandwich I may add a couple carbs to the total but otherwise we treat as a free food

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I haven't found a problem with cold cuts but sometimes I need to bolus for cheese. Usually that takes a combo bolus over several hours and I WAG it - if he eats some cheese - about a half unit and if he had a lot of cheese (like a quesadilla - about an extra unit to 1.5 units (his dinner ratio is 1:17) over 5 hours or so.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

She has had ham and turkey breast in the past and we did not bolus for them. Now she will only eat pepperoni occasionally. That is very fatty, but I have not noticed a rise in BS.

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb eats a ham and turkey almost daily and he only doses for the bread.

10. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

Brendan also eats beef bologna, or chicken breast or ham cold cuts with cheese for his school lunch everyday and i only carb the bread.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

If your giving something that is basically zero carb and are still seeing a rise in BG, it could point to a basal shortage.

12. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Us too...if he eats a few cold cuts alone, no carbs, in a sandwich or with a meal I add a few.

13. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I do not bolus for cold cuts either...I actually will give her a turkey roll up if she is hungry in between meals..or other meat..ham..etc..not so much bologna because she dont like it..but she loves salami and I know it has some fat but it has not been a prob so far..

14. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

I agree, I would lean toward either a fat spike or a basal issue. And of course there's always YDMV.

15. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Thank you for all the responses and information. I'll look into incresing basal. Because there's really little reason she should have gone from 150's to 300 after eating a couple slices of bologna and cheese. Thanks again

16. linda

linda Approved members

Cold cuts themselves should be free...BUT Em had to lay off the PEPPERONI and salami when we found big spikes, now once in a while and watches, (hot dogs too!)

17. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Dd did a science fair experiment comparing her BG reaction to glucose, protein, fat, and fasting. While glucose, as expected, caused BG to rise the most, protein and fat also caused a rise in BG. For protein she used turkey breast which had only 1 gram fat and no carbs. Not scientific, because she only did one trial, but it seemed clear that for her, at least, there was a rise in BG from the protein in meat. It makes sense, too, from a physiological view, becasue protein can be converted into glucose during gluconeogenesis.