- advertisement -

How do yo check BG's when at a water park?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, May 29, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Do you leave the kit in a locker? Do you carry it around?

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

We have a cheap-o Walgreens meter (True2go) that is very compact that we carry with us in a waterproof bag. The meter and strips are cheap so I don't fret about frying our "good" meter. This works okay -- although I always wonder about accuracy on wet, pruny fingers.

Now, I'm not sure what we will do when he decides it is too uncool to hang out with us.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

We leave her meter and her insulin pump at the first aid station.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We'll drop a towel and a cheap small lunch sized cooler somewhere. I'll put low snacks, juice, in the cooler and an inexpensive meter (One touch mini) in an outside pocket. I guess it depends where the water park is, but we've never had anyone take anything.

She always wears her pump, even at the water park.

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Until recently Lia always carried her supplies in a mini backpack and we used that. We just leave it in on the chairs we are using that day along with our other stuff. Of course for us all water parks so far have been the indoor, Great Wolf Lodge type so we always had spare meters and other supplies back in the room so if the bag was stolen it wasn't a huge deal as only a small supply is in it at any time.

I would also have her wear one of those waterproof containers on a string with a few glucose tabs and a tiny tube of frosting or glucose gel. That way if we're at the top of the stairs for a tube slide she doesn't need to walk down all those slippery stairs and the hard wet floors back to the chairs before getting treatment.

6. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

We take a small backpack with a lunch bag cooler in it so we have everything we need with us at all times. OneTouch Mini, Insulin Pen, stuff to treat lows and keep her sugar up for the day. I put a tag on the backpack that says Type 1 Diabetes in hopes it would deter someone from stealing it. We have not had anyone take it yet! But if we do there is backup supplies in the car in a cooler. She carries a frosting tube with her at all times in case we are away from the bag and she needs to treat (we cut the top of the frosting and screw the top back on before we go)

7. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

We leave the bag in the Safety Office. That way our son doesn't have to try to find us nor do we have to leave the bag unattended. He uses an Omnipod, so to have the PDM stolen would be very expensive to replace.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We leave pump and back up meter in the locker in a frio and carry around a smaller one touch mini with glucose tabs everywhere we go. We just drop it with a towel and it has never wondered off. Some people have put them in small air tight containers so they can carry it with them through the lines.

9. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We leave her pump and main kit in the first aid station. I have a little waterproof bag that hold an Ultra-mini, lancer, strips, and Smarties that we keep on us.

Be careful what you leave at your chair. We had some things disappear this weekend. Thankfully if wasn't anything big, but it was annoying and a reality check. The people sitting close to us saw it, but the girls asked if they knew where we were because they were looking for their "aunt" (supposedly us). Then they just walked off with what they wanted.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I go back on shots for the days we go to the theme park, when we go to the water part I just leave my bag and the one touch mini I briing with me on a chair with all our towel and come back to test and treat every 45 minutes or so. Me and my younger sister tend to stick together and she's great at reminding me to test=)

11. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

meter in shaded lockers...insulin in medical office area...glucose(tabs in lots of plastic dissolved) mini frosting in Daniel's shorts side pockets...If he was feeling low I wouldn't worry about getting to the meter..I'd treat then check..

12. apriljoy

apriljoy New Member

diag 08/1986

I use a One Touch Ultra Mini- very small meter (that you can get for free online) and it can easily be placed into a zip-lock bag and either carried with you or placed into a locker. *will probably need to be put into a cooler if in a locker as many meters will not work if they get too hot. You can purchase small waterproof camera bags that work great for meters as well. Have fun!