- advertisement -

How do I turn off smoke alarm until morning?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Nov 18, 2010.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

My smoke alarms are all connected, and there is no fire. It keeps going off, and I can't figure out how to get it to stop chirping, flashing, and then going off. This is the 3rd time it's gone off since 1:00 AM, and I can't sleep. I've checked the whole house, and there is no fire. I'm sure it's just a low battery. I got out a ladder to find the battery, but I can't find it. Is there a way to temporarily disconnect until the morning? Please? Anyone? Thank you!

2. momandwifeoftype1s

I think I've got it with the Hush button. Scary.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Glad you fixed it. I was going to suggest taking out the batteries, but then read you couldn't find them.

4. momandwifeoftype1s

Apparently, there are no batteries :confused:. I found a ladder and twisted it off, but there's no way to open the smoke alarms. The one in our bedroom is the one that kept going off every 10 minutes, which was connected to the rest of them in the house. It then started chirping and flashing green light in between full-blown siren. It was lovely.

I finally found a hush button, and read about it online. It can supposedly reset the alarms. We'll see if this lasts through the night or not...

By the way, both kids slept right through the alarms - three times :eek::eek:.

Brian's out of town. Figures. I did find the trip switch on the electrical box in the garage for the smoke alarms. I think I can just turn them all off if I can't get it fixed. Not that that's a great idea in case of a real fire.

And of course, this happens on a night when Connor was 39 at 11:15 p.m. He dropped from 171 to 39 in 45 minutes. Darn Bounce House again. I'm pulling the cord on that thing...

5. StillMamamia

39?:eek: Oh no!!! Guess it's going to be a long night for you!

6. momandwifeoftype1s

Yes, he wouldn't go to sleep. I thought that 171 was beautiful, so I kept trying to put him to bed. He would not stop talking. Good thing! Apparently, he cannot sleep when his blood sugar is tanking as he's trying to go to bed. I'm grateful for that self-preservation mechanism. 39 was one of the worst lows ever, and I was trying to get him to go to sleep. Crappy mom here. :(

Then the smoke alarm debacle. This has been one lousy night. Thanks for being awake in the middle of the night my time, Paula. It's nice to have someone to talk to. I'm on an adrenaline high, but I'm going to crash...

7. StillMamamia

I do hope you can get some sleep, but I'd be nervous, kwim?

We had something a couple of years back, where we were in a store, tested at noon, BG was 123, I think, and 45mins later he was 21. He launched at my youngest and scratched his face til it bled.:( I had to physically hold him tight and try to get him to eat some tabs, while my youngest was screaming.

Then we had lunch.

8. momandwifeoftype1s

I've been testing him since I'm awake anyway. He's in the 200's, but I don't want to correct him after the big drop earlier tonight. He's sick with a cold, so maybe that's part of the problem? He was 298 at 9:38, and I gave him 2 units of correction. He was 171 at 10:31. Then that awful 39 number at 11:15. He ate yogurt, juice, tabs, and pretzels before finally going to bed. So, I'm not surprised that he yo-yo'd back into the 200's. It's hard to know exactly what to do when it's bedtime with a bad low. I know I over corrected, but I certainly didn't want to deal with another low in the middle of the night either. So, it is what it is I guess. Crap night.

I love your "Then we had lunch" low story. Thanks for making me laugh (not that it's really funny). That must have been really cruddy. 21 :eek:!

I still can't believe that my kids slept right through 3 full blown smoke alarm sirens. That is so scary!

9. StillMamamia

Yeah, I'd let give run a bit higher for now, not too high, but you know what. I was going to suggest a slight basal increase, but you're on MDI, so have no idea what to do there.

Yep, it's amazin they slept through the alarms! Those things are loud.

Our lowest was a 19. At the endo's office. Nothing says "We suck" more than a 19 at the endo's.:rolleyes:

10. momandwifeoftype1s

Oooh. You should win a prize or something :p.

I'll check Connor again in an hour or so to see if he's going up or down now. Ugh. What a night...

11. StillMamamia

Sending vibes for a peacedul night from now on. I'm going to go have a coffee now.:) My BFF!

Oh, for the mini-D camp, we had beautiful numbers prior to the camp. The first night at the camp he was over 500. The endo had to do a site change. Again high, another site change. As badly as I felt for my kid, I couldn't help but smirk that the sh*t was happening while the endo was there! ROFLOL. Ok, so that was a bit mean, but I felt better knowing it happens even to the "best" of us, LOL.

Ok, my extra-sensory fairy has just texted yours that she should give you good overnight BGs and some restful sleep!

12. momandwifeoftype1s

I hear ya. Connor's worst low ever was at school. So, it's not all me. If the endo was there, you have the perfect smirk opportunity. Being a pancreas is hard work!

Thanks for the sleep fairy. I need it! Night!

13. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

If your smoke alarms are connected to each other, chances are that they are hard-wired together and are not Battery operated. You probably either have a defective alarm or one alarm is sensing something that its radioactive sensor is detecting. Please make sure that your detectors are NOT actually detecting Carbon Monoxide instead of smoke!!! That would be very bad. Buy a Carbon Monoxide detector and place it near the one that is alarming to verify that you do not have a Carbon Monoxide leak somewhere. It would be prudent to replace the alarm that is going off with an identical one. May I also suggest investing in an additional smoke-and-carbon Monoxide detector that is battery operated so that if you loose power, you will still have protection. Removing one detector that is hard-wired to the rest will render all of them inoperable.

14. momandwifeoftype1s

Yes, there is wiring going up into the ceiling. I think you're right that they are all connected together and not battery operated. The power went out during the previous night. Could that have tripped the alarms last night? I have no idea if the detectors are detecting carbon monoxide, but that would not be good! I'll go buy a carbon monoxide detector during the day today. Can I purchase a battery operated carbon monoxide/smoke alarm all-in-one? I did not remove any of the smoke detectors last night. I was able to press a button, and wait for the chirping to stop. The flashing green light turned to solid green and quit chirping. Oh, it was a lovely night...

15. JeremysDad

When smoke detectors that are wired together or even individual non- battery operated ones power lose power, they will chirp when the power is lost. Some will chirp when the power has been restored. My comment about them possibly picking up Carbon Monoxide was based on the fact that they might even be C.O. detectors and not smoke detectors although that would be unusual in a house. Usually its smoke detectors that are installed, not C.O. detectors.

I think the fact that you had a power loss was why they made a noise. Still, it is so important for all houses to have 2 C.O. detectors installed in addition to smoke detectors. The best place to install them would be near any furnace or water heater( exhaust-venting appliance) and in your main bedroom. If you are asleep, you want to be woken if C.O. enters your bedroom.

You can pick them up for about $25 and up at a hardware store. Pass on the real cheap ones. They may only alarm when the C.O. level is too high. Kidde and First Alert are good brands. If you have a Menards near you, they are currently on sale. A combination smoke-Carbon Monoxide battery-operated detector is the best way to go. I have several of them in my house. Detectors should be replaced after 10 years.

Oh, and while you are about it, pick up a good fire extinguisher as well. One that has "ABC" on it, not just "BC" An ABC fire extinguisher can be used on burning paper materials, electrical fires and flammable liquids.

16. momandwifeoftype1s

Are you by chance, a fireman? :D Yes, I will go purchase those items today. It was a good wake-up call (well, maybe not good per say) to buy those things that I've been putting off buying. I don't have a fire extinguisher, so I need one of those too. I called our local fire department this morning (non-emergency number), and they helped reassure me that I did everything right.

17. JeremysDad

Ha Ha. No I'm not a fireman, I'm a little anal when it comes to stuff like that though. I think I go a little overboard. Rather be safe then sorry.

Something else I have which is is a good idea if you live in a house with a basement. Buy a water detector and keep it near your hot water heater. That way, if it ever leaks, the alarm will sound and you'll know you have water in your basement. I keep one near my sump pump, washing machine and basement sink. They are cheap, about $12 each.

18. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree with everything Jeremy's dad, but I wanted to add (in addition to what someone said earlier) that almost ALL integrated (wired-in) smoke alarms do have battery backups. Prior to about 5 years ago the batteries in those alarms were not replaceable! When the internal battery goes dead (after 5-10 years), the alarm goes off (not because there is a fire, but because it's lost it's backup power), setting off all the others. Most of the newer ones just "chirp" when the backup battery is low (or missing), and you can't silence that like you can a regular alarm.

It's better to replace them all once one with an internal battery goes.. or you'll just be playing "figure out which one is the problem" as they each fail over time... which is very annoying

My mom just dealt with this recently.. she had this happen with one, couldn't figure out which one it was, so she replaced ALL of her smoke alarms when she moved into her new house (or so she thought), except for one that she missed. It's internal battery died a few weeks ago and it set off all the others, so I found and replaced that one for her.

I like the idea of a water detector though... we had an extensive leak under one of our bathroom sinks that went unnoticed for a while, and it was due to the ball joint for the pop-up drain. An alarm would have saved the cabinet, which still need to be replaced (the bottom is rotted out).

19. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We were having issues with our fire alarms a few months ago. A neighbor told me that fire alarms should be replaced every 10 years. My hubby changed out our hardwired with battery backup alarms in less than 5 minutes each.