advertisement

How did you find CWD?

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by Mikker, Jan 31, 2010.

?

How did you find the CWD community?

1. On your own via a search engine?

170 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. From a friend, relative, or third party?

45 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. From the hospital at the time of DX?

26 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. From your Endo?

20 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. From a flyer, handout, or publication?

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. From an organization. Ie., JDRF, ADA, etc?

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Google for me too. I wanted to find out more about what my family will be facing. I have posted on several boards over the years and seeing the number of articles and posts on the CWD board, I knew it was well used.

2. busy mom

busy mom Approved members

Recently through Google search as well. Wish I would find it sooner to know what to expect. We are into our 5th year now.

3. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I found this site (probably through google) while we were still hospitalized. I'm forever grateful....so much information especially in the beginning. I highly doubt we would have started pumping when we did, which has been a godsend! At first it's overwhelming.......hard to believe we are almost 2 years in :cwds:

4. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

Bunch of drunks sitting around the pool at FFL forced me to join seeing as it was my third year attending the conference! DQ Mom, Ugly shoe...and more that I can't remember their user names. Love you guys. Thanks for bringing me into your online world.:D

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

drunks? who you calling drunks??
    hic.
    (it was fun meeting you too)

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

"Ugly shoe"???

Too funny!

Bennet - avert your eyes!!

7. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Now that this poll has been ongoing for a bit now, it's a little disheartening to see that nearly 75% of CWD'rs find their way here on their own, or by word of mouth.

For us, it has been the single most important tool in learning to adjust our son's T1D regime, as well as learning to cope emotionally. In my book, hospitals, cde's and our endo's are overlooking a fantastic support resource for their patients.

Let's help inform them! I was previously unaware, but very nicely done CWD brochures and business cards are available for distribution at:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/feedback/cards.htm

We recently received a number of them and our local endo offices, hospital CDE, and school district head nurse were very receptive and willing to pass them along to newly dx'd families. I would also note that not a one of them where previously aware of CWD.

8. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

thank you mikker, I just ordered some cards and brochures. I agree that this is the best resource for parents of newly dx kids (and not so newly dx too). Almost 2 yrs in and I still return for information. Maybe not as much as in the beginning, but every time I check back in I learn something new.

9. suz

suz Approved members

I saw a recommendation from the ADA message boards.....

10. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

since august 2006 - there was so little traffic going through here back then! he'd been DX'ed in June of that year so I spent a lot of time on my dial up internet connection finding all the things we DON'T have in this country. I wondered what this weird 'carb counting' talk was and all the IOB - I:C (thought that was a frowning face) etc was.

Ahhhh, how times have changed.

11. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

I've also put in a request Todd but hope they send more than 100 because I'm happy to ship them off around NZ so everyone can get help 24/7 if needed.

12. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Right after my daughter was diagnosed (she was still in the hospital) an on-line friend of mine from an unrelated forum told me about this place. Lisalotsamom...mom to 7 kids, two of whom now have been dx. She has helped me more than she'll know with the emotional aspect of all of this.

I've since told other parents about this site as well as educators. This is a great place to learn from other parents who have been there & done that. :)

13. KHM

KHM Approved members

First through a search engine---I looked through resources and said hello but I've not been much of a forum kind of person before. When we continued to have trouble stabilizing my daughter's bg, her teacher told me about CWD which she had discovered when her mother was thrown into by Type 1 by chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer :(

CWD has been more helpful to me in these last few weeks than any other resource. So grateful.

14. Droz

Droz Approved members

Google I love this site its great

15. megdef98

megdef98 Approved members

Our son's Endo suggested we visit the forums. I posted for the 1st time yesterday and was very hurt by some of the responses I was sent. I even had my thread closed by Jeff. Fortunately, I had some Moms in "my situation" that sent me private messages of encouragement. I believe I will let my Endo know about my experience and that he needs to warn others that they are not always welcomed with open arms:(

Meg
    "Gehrig's Mom"
    Being Screened Since August, 2009

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Perhaps the remedy is to suggest that your endo actually diagnose a child with Type 1 diabetes before referring them to CWD?

17. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I found this website through Google when I was searching my daughter's symptoms last weekend trying to decide whether I should take my daughter to the ER or wait until her doctor's office opened and make an appointment. After reading through several diagnosis stories, that were exactly what she was going through, I took her to the ER and within hours we were in the PICU an hour away from our tiny hometown hospital.

The educators at the hospital also recommended the site a useful resource.

18. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

As I responded privately to megdef98, due to serious problems in the past, the policy here is that questions about diagnosis are left to the family and their physician. I provided links to several resources for Meg in a private message, including various clinical trials for newly diagnosed kids designed to preserve islet mass.

19. megdef98

megdef98 Approved members

As I have stated earlier, I am not seeking a diagnosis. Also, it was so kindly pointed out to me that this was a "public forum" and anyone can have an opinion. I also really don't need to see anything I wrote quoted to me.I typed it, I know what I meant by it.

Meg

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

The reason people quote other posters is to identify to whom they are addressing their comments. It's not personal. It's how a large forum like this works.