- advertisement -

How Common is Vitiligo?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mikker, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

It looks like J has developed Vitiligo. Our Dr. mentioned that it wasn't uncommon with Type 1, but it's the first I've heard of it having any relation to T1D. Comments?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There are different types of vitiligo and one type is autoimmune. According to "Diabtes For Dummies", 10% of type 1 diabetics will have vitiligo at some point in their lifetimes. I remember that because I read it right after dx and was confused and thought it was a complication, but it's not. I even wrote to the author of that book about it. It's just another associated autoimmune disease, like celiac and thyroiditis. Only vitiligo strikes me as being less dangerous.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My neighbor down the street has it and also Thyroid issues, her son has it without anything else.

Just another autoimmune???

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

My family has a lot of autoimmune issues. My nephew had a small spot of vitiligo when he was a kid. He's so fair-skinned, that it wasn't all that noticeable. It was on his eye and he lost pigmentation in his eyelashes too. I haven't seen him in 20 years, so I don't know if it progressed. I haven't heard anything about it, so he probably just has the one little spot.

Does J. have much area affected?

5. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

My son has vitiligo. It showed up about 9 months be D was diagnosed. I don't know how common it is but I'm guessing in our case, they are related.

6. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Not too much. Several dozen spots on his back, chest, and shoulders. He's going in to the Dr again in about 15 minutes so hopefully we'll learn more. It was his research investigator up in Seattle that told us about the possible T1 connection so I thought I would toss it up in here.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

We were warned about it as well as celiac at diagnosis!

8. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed with vitiligo years before T1 and hashimotos. At the time the doctor told us to watch for other autoimmune diseases. I guess he was right.

My daughters vitiligo was extremely aggressive, however we are very lucky she responded to treatment. It came back shortly after her T1 diagnosis. I truly believe there is a direct connection.

9. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I myself have 2 autoimmune conditions. When I saw the endo yrs ago, he checked me for vitiligo and said it was an autoimmune issue.

I think I have a few spots but have never been diagnosed by a doctor.

10. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

My nephew has it. He also has Down's Syndrome, and they think that may be why his is so bad. :confused: He's only 9 and he's only got patches of pigment left on his arms and legs. His face is completely white. His hair is mostly white too.

I haven't even been worried about this for Charlotte since my BIL has it, and I assumed it was his genes that passed it on to my nephew. I didn't know how common it was with Type 1 diabetes!

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Wow, I have never heard of Vitiligo. I had to look it up. Charlie has, what we call his star, on his back. It sounds like it could be that. Docs have asked what it was from but never said much about it other than "...interesting." Charlie has had it for a long time. Don't remember him not having it. Will have to ask endo about it.

12. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee has bleached out spots on her arms that I asked her endo about, thinking it might be vitiligo. She checked her out and said she thinks they are dry spots that are so dry, they have no pigment. She said that while it is autoimmune and not unusual for a child with diabetes to develop it, it wasnt as common as the thyroid and celiac connection. I wasnt sure about it just being dry at the time, but agree now. The places we put her sensor turn white after we take it off. For weeks she will have a white spot the size and shape of the sensor patch on her arm.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

that is really interesting. I had never thought about. My mom has extensive vitiligo on her hands and arms. M has a patch behind her right knee. She's the only kid with it so maybe I can hope she will be the only with type 1.

14. buggle

buggle Approved members

Our endo is running a study on the development of other autoimmune diseases in kids with T1. We don't go in until Feb, but I'll try to remember to ask about vitiligo.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

My boyfriend has it. If it reassures you at all he only has a few small spots that he developed when he was around 13. He has not developed any new spots, and they have not gotten any bigger since that time. (He is now 30.)

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My cousin has it, hers is under her eyes, at this point no where else. Her son has Celiac. The dad has thyroid issues. So, you can see the numbers pretty much add up in this family.

17. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Brandon has a patch on the front of his left hip. He use to have some on one of his legs, and I don't know if it went away, or if it's the fact that he never goes without jeans. His legs are so white. I think I'm the only one the ever sees the patch on his hip from having to pull down his waistband for site changes. I think it developed before D.

18. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

We noticed Kayla's patches on her neck and tummy develope about 8 months before she was dx as T1 and hypothyroid. Since then, she has developed a lot more patches all over her body. Her endo said that it was autoimmune and since she has 3, she could develope more. :( As far as the vitiligo is concerned, if she were to stay out of the sun and not tan, it wouldn't be too noticable... so far anyway.