- advertisement -

How can we raise awareness for Type 1 Diabetes....?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AprilHoover, Sep 25, 2009.

1. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

:DWithout letting people get the chance to say:
    "You're just copying Nick Jonas"
    "It's your fault that you got it"
    "Maybe you should just stop eating too much sugar"
    "YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO EAT THIS!"
    I want to do something big....but what?

2. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

I'll start with suggesting you change part of our expectation then embrace the challenge one day at a time. It doesn't matter "what" anyone else says if your goal is to educate. You want them focused on your message. Remember, they might not ask some of the strange or seemingly insensitive questions if they were already educated. And that's the point of your posting. Think of it this way... If you don't have the patience and clarity to help them understand, then you will never have a chance to inspire them to donate to research that might make the difference in finding a cure for your child.

I promise you that no matter how many people you educate with good information, a new day will come with someone asking or saying something that could bother you. But what is more difficult... the battles your child faced this week... or the feeling of repetition you have sharing the same information this week that you told someone else last week? What is more difficult, watching your child struggle with a BG of 430 or 47... or explaining that sugar didn't cause his/her diabetes and that BG of 430 could be influenced by excitement, growth today, a sickness that won't surface for 2 more days?

Finally, it's great to think of "something big" you can do. But, in the meantime, win every small battle you can tomorrow. Then, win every small battle you can the next day. Something big might fall in your lap from one of the people you educated and they might shock us with "something bigger" than you are I are capable of.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  3. Toni

Toni Banned

I'm afraid you will never win by explaining your diabetes is not controlled by diet. This myth is too firmly entrenched in the minds of the public. Calmly state your case, then continue to eat what you were going to eat. Let this one go. Try not to get hot and bothered about it; there is really no need. You can roll your eyes and just note that Type 1 diabetics need to eat a healthier diet as does the REST of the population. If you want to raise awareness, then you should organize a walk for a cure. I think Denise Faustman is trying to raise money for Phase II of her research which looks like it has a good potential for a permanent (and inexpensive) cure. Walk for Denise Faustman this year! She is in need of funds to continue with her research.

4. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

I've been thinking of something similar.
    One of the things that concerns me is how many messages there are on this board that are about the difficulties of children with type 1 receiving the education they are morally and legally entitled to receive - while staying alive. Parents spend hours and hours and hours researching the Americans with Disabilities act, talking to school officials and trying to figure out how to have their kids go to school and still manage their diabetes. Each parent doing it for one kid, over and over and over.
    It is ridiculous, really. The federal law that should guarantee every child with diabetes the right to attend school and be safe there is part of the civil rights law. Why should a school principal be the one to decide if it is appropriate for a child to carry their meter with them? Or test in class rather than walk 10 minutes to a nurses office?
    When the civil rights movement began, 50 years ago, it was started by those who had been affected the most. But then other people joined in - people who believe that civil rights are civil rights. Can we reach out to those who have not been affected by diabetes and get them to help make a statement?
    One possibility - if one child in a school is told s/he can't do a BG test when necessary, then that school is not safe. And if it isnt safe for one child, is it really safe for any? What if all the kids in the school decided to support that one child and just walk out of school one day? Safe for all or safe for none.

5. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

First I think you have to make sure the people you are trying to educate want to be educated on Type 1. I have people in my life that I have been trying to educate on Type 1 for 2 years now and we STILL get comments about what he should/shouldn't be eating etc.

Maybe contact your endo office or JDRF and see if they have any ideas? You could even become involved with JDRF somehow?

6. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

April, are you in highschool? what about organizing some sort of fundraiser within your school? Maybe start with your peers and then they can educate their family and friends? just a thought

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we raise a lot of awareness by testing/shots in public, opens up a lot of conversation-most people tell me they didn't know Tony had D because he eats whatever, plays hard-like any other kid and for some reason they picture that diabetics are fattys (sorry if it offends) or they are very sickly children-it's like from one extreme to the other. Then I can tell them the basics, etc. First after diagnosis I swear I wanted to walk around with a big sign of all the myths cause everyone was making me angry. Don't get me wrong, if some idiot tells me my kid got it because I fed him too much junk food, I'll turn it around on them and point out their diet and plus size and ask why they aren't diabetic then:p. But I agree that sometimes they won't be educated unless they want to be, I still have a few people in my life that think he has a sugar allergy:rolleyes: If it were only so simple! Anyways, maybe get in a walk, I did the local ADA one and customized the page to state some type 1 facts.
    I have lost a few people in my life because of their ignorance, but now, eh no big deal, they were idiots and life is too short to dwell on such things, and too short to have to deal with them.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Call or write the health editors of your local newspapers, magazines, radio and television stations. Ask to be interviewed and to share what a day in the life is like. We have done this many times over the years - including being on Nick News. Remember, if you don't ask, they can't say yes. Independently you can Blog, vlog, tweet...(please get permission from your parents).

9. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

Yes, I am in high school. Maybe I should start a bakesale with cup cakes that say 'We CAN eat sugar.' Lol ha ha!
    - April.

10. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

i think the best way to raise awarness of diabetes, is with a positive outlook. maybe a little bit of counselling would help with these feeling you have towards your diabetes.

i would stop comparing yourself to Nick, he has a big plate on his hands so it takes a lot of time in his life. I think performing is like a high endurance sports event, and takes a lot of practice to get right with bolus and basals. he has also been blessed with a lot of resources that aren't available to the general public.

Raising funds for diabetes

make Christmas cards
    bakesale
    have a car wash
    hotdog sale