- advertisement -

How are you doing since dropping them off?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Just checking in to see how the parents are doing, who for the first time dropped their child with diabetes off at college.

I remember 4 yrs ago when our son rode his bicycle off into the distance and so began a new chapter in our lives. (He had been diagnosed at age 1.)

How do you keep in touch?

2. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Samantha goes on Saturday..she is living in the dorm, although she lives close enough to commute if she should ever want to..this is comforting to me..she can keep her endo and if she ever needed me, I could be there in 40 minutes.
    I bought new cell phones so we can text, however we don't have service unless we go outside the house, so not very convenient.
    I have been saying for the last year that I was going to go WITH her to college..But I was overruled..I know I have to let her go, but its hard!!

3. blessed

blessed Approved members

We leave in 9 days

My son and I will leave for college in Hawaii in 9 days...Yes I am having a tough time with it...but for some odd reason, I am amazingly calm about it...RIGHT NOW! LOL just wait till I post when I get home from dropping him off. He has never been away from home for more than 10 days. This will definitely be difficult. No matter how much I think we will be strong, I know he too will have sad days. He and I are extremely close and I admit, I have had a hard time just letting him be in charge of getting himself ready to go. He hasn't even started packing. I don't know what he is thinking...I am not going to do it. He has to be in charge. And no he won't be coming home for Thanksgiving even.....

4. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Samantha is off at college now..it wasn't as heard as I thought..I only cried a little, but got myself together because I didn't want Sam to cry. She spoke briefly to her RA, went by health services and introduced herself..met another type 1 and they exchanged names. She didn't talk with her roommate but will tonight. The fridge was there(rented) and I put the insulin and juice boxes next to her roommates apple juice.
    She got her books and set up her room..overall it was a good day!!
    Of course it will probably REALLY hit me tomorrow.

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We set Aaron up in his new apartment yesterday -- and I'm fine! (no, really.) He was excited and happy, and he's sharing with a friend that we know and like, so that really helps. So does the late-night drug store right across the street from his apartment that now has his prescriptions on file. We loaded in their ratty assortment of handed-down stuff, set up his bedroom, went the the grocery store and stocked in $200 worth of groceries, and by then it was pretty clear he was ready for us to say good-bye and let them settle in.

He still needs to register with the disabilities office, and I hope he will not stall too long to do that, but so far so good. (And yeah, I DO miss him!)

6. blessed

blessed Approved members

We leave Friday AM for Hawaii

I am already sick to my tummy just thinking about it....Hawaii is a long ways away when they are T 1 ...I know this is what he is supposed to do though...Inspite of my anxiety, I have a weird sense of peace about him going there.

7. blessed

blessed Approved members

Home from Hawaii~leaving him was horrible

I was to upset still to post till now. Leaving him in Hawaii was one of the hardest things ever. He was hugging and crying at the airport as was I...people in line asked if it was my boyfriend. Ummm no that's my son! Fellow passengers thought it was surprising that a teen boy was so emotional to see his mom leave. None the less, I cried the entire 6 hours plane ride home. I felt bad for the couple sitting next to me, but decided I would never see them again and frankly I was just too emotional to care what they thought. =( Sad but true.
    His dorm is raging hot and tiny to say the least. We got his fridge, and that he said, is such a life saver! With the dorms so hot at least he can have cold drinks and of course a cool place to store his insulin.
    Sunday was a hard day for he and I both. Odd to sit in church alone. My younger son works on Sundays so I will be alone. At least Cameron will have buddies and girls from campus to sit with.
    I had my first birthday in 19 years without him last Thursday...that was strange, but I did get to skype with him that night! =) Little things mean A LOT now.
    Well, sorry for rambling. Love to hear how some of you other mom's or dad's are doing. For those of you who cared to read my sniffling post...You are kind lol. I know I am kinda lame, but I just miss my son so much!
    MAHALO!!!!!!

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Hugs Dayna. My heart goes out to you at this time. It's so hard, but I keep telling myself that it's healthy for our young adult "kids" to be independent and for them to follow their dreams. My best advice is to keep yourself busy. :cwds::cwds:

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Crud, now I have tears too!!! lol Hugs to you Dayna, and all the parents who sent their kids off to college... I don't know how you did it. I know I will be a big time wreck as well.

Hugs!

Kath

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Aw! I'm sorry it was so hard. Alex didn't cry when I left :cwds: but I do believe I cried some on the plane home.....it was a long trip! I guess just like when they are first dx w/ D....it's hard at first but you find a 'new normal'. You learn to stop cooking so much food and buying so much milk. And you learn new ways to keep in contact with them. Sounds like Cameron will do a good job of keeping in touch with you. And you'll be proud of how well he will do in school.

Alex is a Junior now.:eek: (I am really old!) And he's done great so far.:)

11. blessed

blessed Approved members

Thanks ...

I really appreciate all your support you guys. This has been MUCH harder than I ever expected. I know I shouldn't be so sad, but I miss having my family as it was before he left...it will never really be the same. But I do know that it is the way it is supposed to be. If he was not confident to go, then I would be sad too.
    BTW He had a bad low the other day. I happened to be on the phone with him and was able to talk with him and remind him of the food we had bought. Its weird how when you get low you just stop thinking...Why did God make it that way??? LOL But I was glad I was on the phone with him.