- advertisement -

How and when to start a new sensor

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by abdabs, Feb 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. abdabs

abdabs Approved members

We're on our 2nd enlite sensor, new to the 530g. The first one was nearly perfect (and we LOVED it!) -- only a few readings off when our CWD was super high. The second sensor started off ok for 2 days, but now it is just unpredictably off in either direction (sensor was 100 mg/dl under last night and is now giving false lows when we're in range and stable). In a situation like this, is it best to restart the sensor? And if so, do you just "Turn Off Sensor" and then "Reconnect Old Sensor"? Do you need to physically un- and re-connect the transmitter before restarting?

Also, I have read about people looking at the ISIG values before calibrating. Can someone shed light on this? They skipped over it in training, assuming it was over everyone's head, I guess? Curious and would love another tool.

Thanks in advance!

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I would go link to sensor , and select new sensor. When you do that it usually does not take the full 2-hours to warm up.

I think when you do it that way you are starting fresh with calibrations.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. That is what I would do, too.

Someone can probably explain the ISIG thing better than I can, but generally speaking, the ratio of BG/ISIG should be steady over a range of values. But it differs from sensor to sensor. And, it will change over the life of the sensor. And it's not a totally linear relationship. Confused yet? ;) I think I've read that ISIG values tend to be higher on the Enlites, and we only used the old sensors, so I don't want to give you bad information. But when I calibrated, I would generally look at the ISIG and sort of mentally calculate what the ratio was. So if BG was 80 and the ISIG was 8.0, I'd know that generally speaking, BG should be 10x ISIG. It's a good way to tell that a sensor is dying, because generally speaking if you then see an ISIG of 8.0 and BG is 224, you know that something just ain't right. And for us, if ISIG got much below 6.0, the sensor was a goner, and no amount of restarting it was going to help.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes I agree with others I would try restart. All of our Enlites have been great. I have to admit we never look at ISIG when we used Sof sensor or these. Darryl had a good write up I believe on here on ISIG. Because of our prior use of Navigator and Dexcom we were not used to looking at ISIG.