- advertisement -

How aggressive are you when you change basals?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Do you go up by the smallest amount, like .025? Do you change just a few hours at first instead of bumping up half a day?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For us, a change of 0.025 has no discernable effect on Jack. We go up or down by 0.05. It would be fairly rare for me to change more than 3-4 hours of basal at a time, unless we were seeing one of those times where he was high around the clock.

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I take the amount that I have typically been correcting and just add that to the basal change, spread out if necessary. Sometimes it is big, other times it is small. When Sam was a baby, the smallest change would make a world of difference!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It really depends on what the issue is.. I typically do go up by .025, as Kaylee is very insulin sensitive. BUT if there is an obvious problem that looks to me like it'll need more than the .025, then I just go ahead and go .05.. As for how long I change it, it depends on how big the problem is.. if it seems like she's high most of the day then I'll go ahead and change the day (she has one basal from 10a-3p anyway).

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I usually make changes in .05u increments. I use the CGM for guidance. If the entire curve is shifted up, I change for 24h. If ther is trouble in a smaller segment, I just change that.

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We have the minimed so our changes are by 0.05. I usually try to isolate an area to see if I can change it where it is needed. However, we had bad numbers for Kylie around the clock and after a few frustrating days I changed them all and it worked.