- advertisement -

horseback riding and pumping?

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by xstaybeautiful, Jul 30, 2008.

1. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

I am currently considering using a pump and I was wondering if anyone else has experience with pumping and riding. I ride english (jumping, dressage, equitation) competitively. I do occassionaly fall or get bumped around quite a bit. I think this is one of the main reasons I have stayed with MDI for so long. I was afraid I would do more harm to myself trying to use a pump. On top of riding we are constantly doing barn/farm work, so I'm wondering if pumps could hold up to how rough I woul be on it everyday. I understand I can take my pump off during riding, but sometimes I am riding for quite some time. One of the pumps I am focusing on is the omnipod.
    I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for how feasible the pump is for an active rider from someone who has experience.

2. wilowndmomof3

wilowndmomof3 Approved members

My husband has been pumping with an Animas pump for 6 yrs, just recently changed to their 2020, and believe me they can take a licken and keep on ticken. We live on a farm, have horses and ride often, just western for fun. He does almost all the work on the farm and he leaves his pump on all the time. He has even crashed on the dirtbike and 4 wheeler with it on and didn't hurt it one bit. My son is now pumping and believe me a 10 yr old can put it through the mill too. They are more rugged than you may think :D

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I occasionally get to ride horses, but I'm by no means good or experienced. I fell off a horse while riding last summer (see above sentence about not being good or experienced).

I got taken to the area's trauma center as I my helmet cracked and I was throwing up, causing concern, obviously.

One of the first questions the ER doc asked was if my pump was ok. I hadn't even thought of it!

It was totally fine. I think you'd probably be ok.

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

At the stable we use, one of the teenagers has a minimed pump and does fine with it in her pocket.
    My daughter wears an omnipod and has no trouble. She wears her dexcom while riding as well.
    Good luck and have fun,
    Allene

5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I also ride actively and use the Omnipod. Other then a few issues recently, I love the system. It is completely out of the way when riding, and working with the horses(I do Reining, Western Riding, and Western Pleasure). I haven't taken a spill yet with it, but I would imagine it would be fine. Especially if the arena you ride in has good footing(or....enough for a soft landing, hehe).

6. superklas

superklas New Member

riding on a pump

yes, Lisa is a competitive jumper and has diabetes. we turn off the pump if her sugars are within ranges for the duration of her training session and stable duties. Please visit us on facebook, we'd love you to ride in our colors if you actively compete. :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toget...s-Razem-Pokonujemy-Przeszkody/162654177147145

If you have any questions or problems with your BG's please email me at monika@pjdf.org - I wrote a book about this, know a little here and there:)

b.r Monika

7. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

I trail ride on my peruvian pasos through the heave 15' cane grass in Hawaii, and the only time I had any trouble was when I bumped my pod with the metal lead clip while walking to get my horse. I do use vet wrap on my upper arm, and it works quite well. the upper thigh is another area I have good luck with. I use Omnipods, and love them. ps, i'm 56.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son has roped/competed in rodeos, including doing some occasional steer wrestling while wearing the pump. He's very active and does a lot of outdoor work as well, building fences and driving tractors and such. No problems.

Just noticed this is a VERY old thread, reactivated. Wouldn't have replied if I had noticed that. Hope the OP is enjoying pumping!!!