- advertisement -

horrible last couple of days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jbmom1b2g, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Sorry this is a little long I just had a bad weekend:(

So we have been doing great with DD's sugars well Fri night was not good right before bed we tested her and she was in the 50's so of course we do juice wait 15 mins test and she was even lower. So we treat her again wait 15 mins she went up like 10 points. Finally after an hr of testing and treating with everything we have on hand we send her to bed and check on her through the night which she was fine. Then Sat morning she was complaing of not feeling well didnt eat much so I was dosing after she ate. Well Sun she felt great ate all her food. Then yesterday she had a little bit to much insulin at school (my fault) and she sat in the nurses office for 40 mins trying to get her sugars up to where I felt safe sending her to class well I finally gave up on that and took her home. 3 hrs later she was barley in the 80's so I felt good about that. Well today she was complaing of the same upset stomach and not feeling well and not eating her dinner. Is that related to her being low?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would say, yes, it is related to her being low. She isn't absorbing her food and the insulin is expecting to have more food that is actually getting in the blood stream. I might cut back on the insulin until she feels better.

3. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Hey Jeannie,

I would recommend that you get in touch with your endo / DNE to reduce insulin, if you arent' making adjustments quite yet on your own.

Also, it has been my experience that juice is actually rather slow to bring up BGs, especially those lower than 70. My boys can, and do, use juice to bring up lowish numbers, say something in the 80's when they feel they are beginning to drop, but once they have gone hypo, it usually takes a more pure form of glucose to work. We've had excellent results with glucose tabs, gluco-shot, and skittles.

I also agree that after extended low blood sugars, the stomach can be upset (also headaches, tiredness) It's all part of not having the necessary energy to function properly.

Best,
    Mary Lou

4. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Actually the endo actually wanted to change her carb ratio to a lower carb amount and I when I talked to them yetserday I told them there was no way I was changing her dose to a lower carb ratio. Thanks for letting me vent. I was thinking I need to go get some glucose tabs at the store. I will have to head that way tomorrow. I do have some candy corns I can give her if need be also.

5. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Usually when we see stubborn lows like that and she's not all that hungry it means she's fighting off some kind of stomach bug, but that's just us. I will usually give her less insulin for her carbs than she normally would get. I try to leave her basals alone (don't know if you're on a pump or MDI) though. She tends to get ketones when running low due to a stomach bug and lowering her basal insulin has exacerbated that in the past. I'd say it usually lasts about a week, but again YDMV. I hope your next couple of days goes better.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

This is the way my thinking was going as well. If she has a little tummy bug going on causing the lows then you may want to check for ketones. Nathan gets them when he is sick very easily.