- advertisement -

Hopeful about the new Omnipod glucose meter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by redheadmom, May 4, 2013.

1. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

I am one of the unfortunate folks who gave up on using the glucose meter in the Omnipod PDM when Abbot switched over to the new style of test strips. (For whatever reason, the new strips always read much too low and had a very high rate of variability.) So I have been carrying around an Accu-Chek meter along with my PDM ever since the change over.

However, four days ago I received the new smaller pods and new black PDM, and along with it came a bottle of Freestyle test strips. Since then, I have been double testing, once with my regular meter and once with the new PDM. And I am amazed at the results. The readings are no longer way off for me! I will continue to double test for the remainder of the sample bottle, but if things continue like this, then I will actually feel confident enough to ditch my extra meter and go back to having just the PDM to carry around!

Just wanted to pass this on in case you are like me and had similar trouble...you may find that your days of carrying another meter are over when you receive the new PDM!

(And, for the record, the new pods are wonderfully small and light! A big improvement!)

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Let us know how it goes! I can't wait till we get the new pods!

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Ironically, we were just the opposite. We felt we were getting good results until the last shipment of strips - we get 1300 so we had them for some time. We then switched insurance companies and my son wanted the Verio IQ and our out of pocket was $10 for those strips so we switched. We immediately saw about a 20 point difference and 2 trips to the endo showed our predicted A1c off by almost 1% vs the doctor's office. We got the new PDM during that time as well and it was also off by 20 points. The last 2 trips to the endo using the Verio IQ strips saw an A1c drop of almost 1% and the averages matched almost perfectly to the A1c result.

TL;DR I think the Freestyle strips suffer from lot-to-lot variability that can be up to 30 points off or spot on depending on the lot. I don't think it's the PDM.

4. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Rats! Now I am not feeling nearly so hopeful! Maybe I should order only a month's supply of the Freestyle strips just in case it truly is a variability issue. I did use the Verio IQ meter for many months and although I found the strips to be annoying at times with the way they stick together, I did find that they were spot on with how I felt and had low variability. So maybe I will be stuck using another meter after all. At least until (or unless) Omnipod comes out with the PDM that uses the Verio IQ strips (which they are rumored to do sometime in the future.)

Thanks for giving me your input!

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have found that the Verio IQ strips to be as accurate as I could hope. I think they conform to the newer standards and Insulet is claiming to be coming out with a PDM that use these strips - fingers crossed.

I agree 100% with the annoyance of the strips sticking together and I also hate that the business end is up top where it can be contaminated.