- advertisement -

Honeymoon

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lexie251, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Chris was diagnosed last December and received his flu shot before we left the hospital. We were told by the doctors that everyone in our household needs to get a flu shot every year because if Chris gets the flu, it could be very bad for him because he now has T1D. He did not get sick from it, but he hasn't gotten sick from the flu shot any year he received it. We're going today to the doctor so he and his sister can get their shots. We got ours last week.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You didn't upset me.

Preservatives and vaccines are a hot topic around here, and most places, I elect not to engage.

No harshness. I put the quote from the Mayo Clinic in bold so that it would be clear that it was a quote.

My first post in this thread gave the best reply I have to the "honeymoon" question. I'm sorry you found that unsupportive.

If you elect not to post on CWD because of this thread and my comments in it ... that would be ... rather strange.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

There are many other places online to get support and information about diabetes. Here are some of them:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/categories/type-1-diabetes-forum/listForCategory

http://www.diabetesforum.com/introduce-yourself/4661-type-1-diabetic.html

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-1-diabetes/

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-1-diabetes/

http://www.experienceproject.com/groups/Have-Type-1-Diabetes/9350

http://www.healthfulchat.org/diabetes-chat-room.html

However, I think you will need to adopt a thicker skin no matter where you go, because there will always be people that have opinions about your situation and there will always be people who have different styles of communicating. And you won't agree with all of them.

Being judged is just a part of life and it is always going to happen regardless of who you are or where you go. In this instance, I don't believe you were being judged at all. I think someone was just giving you feedback on your perceived level of anxiety. And I agree with them, you do come across in this thread as someone who is very anxious and scared. There is nothing "wrong" with that, per se, but when someone's level of anxiety is disproportionate to the situation at hand it is not healthy for them or those around them.

As to your topic, I think it is important for your child to get vaccinated, not only for them but for those around them. I would also recommend your whole family getting vaccinated for the same reason. The honeymoon is something that is variable in kids with Type 1 diabetes. Stressing about when it will be over or what will happen when it is over is understandable, but it is not going to change anything and will only add to your overall stress levels.

Try and take things one day at a time, learn as much as you can about managing this disease and try and keep it all in perspective. Good luck wherever you end up going.

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

We stopped getting our flu shots the last couple of years. Both DD and I have the flu now and it is a doozie...very stubborn and hard to shake. I say get the shot quick.

I did get very sick one year right after the shot. The doctors insist it was not from the shot, but that the flu got me before the shot was effective. It did turn me off of getting it again for the last few years and DD just plain did not want yet another shot. She does not get ketones easily, so we are not as anxious about the flu.

5. WillowHaven

WillowHaven New Member

On the honeymooning subject, we are still in it. Our son was dx'd 1.5 years ago at 5. We were at 4.5 units of lantus and a 1:60 I:C ratio when discharged.
    After about 2 weeks the honeymoon started. He dropped to 1 unit of lantus and no insulin for any meals for about 9 months. He has slowly gone up on his lantus and is back at 4 units now. And he started back with an I:C ration of 1:60 about 9 months ago.

He has been relatively stable for the entire time since diagnosis. I'm guessing that like a couple previous posters, we will have a slow journey out of the honeymoon.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Here's the thing. The list of things to worry about with D is long and never-ending. I'm not going to even give you examples, because you sound like a worrier, and I bet I could come up with 50 things you haven't even thought of to worry about yet. ;)

But the fact of the matter is that constant worrying is no way to go about life. Prepare for what you can, and don't get so caught up in the worrying that you forget to enjoy the moment. Get the flu shot (or mist), practice lots of handwashing and then let it go.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Often when people get sick after a flu shot, it's because 1) the illness is gastro in nature, so not associated with the flu shot or 2) they've already been exposed to the respiratory flu.

As to the honeymoon, it's not always a bad thing when it ends. And sometimes it ends in fits and starts. Unpredictable like the rest of T1.

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Just like everyone experiences different things with the Type 1 diagnosis in their family, everyone handles discussions differently.

If I find someone here harsh, I find it best that I don't engage with them in arguments. Or I learn to see what is helpful in their comments and ignore what I find harsh in their manner.

This is a GREAT place for information and support.

And I second the advice to find a way to "unworry." At some point, dealing with D has to become normal-ish -- D care is something you focus on when it needs your focus, but it doesn't rule your life. It's a hard lesson to learn, but it's one I learned for the sake of my son. (I realized I was so "clenched" about D that **he** couldn't find peace with it himself. Once I learned to unclench and take things as they came, the whole family went back to our pre-D level of happiness and enjoyment.)