- advertisement -

Honeymoon: How long did your childs last? Was it a gradual end?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by andiej, Mar 4, 2014.

1. andiej

andiej Approved members

I am v.curious to hear about others experiences with the honeymoon phase and how it ended. Jack is not one of those children that needs no insulin, he is on MDI, 2-3 units each meal and 7 units of long acting before bed.

When i read information online regarding honeymoon length it seems to vary greatly, there doesn't seem to be an average time. So i wondered what your experiences were?

Also what should I expect when it ends? Is it a gradual process or does he wake up one day with much higher readings?

I'm aware that he will need more insulin following the honeymoon but is diabetes much harder to manage then? Will he swing high to low much faster and more often?

I just want to be prepared as much as i can.

Thanks Andrea

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter got sick and her insulin needs tripled and didn't go back down. Puberty was beginning and hit full-force 6 months later. I'm holding on for the calm they tell me is coming more around 16 and then again around 18.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Blah! This new search thing is as bad as the emoticons! Go to "advanced search" under search, enter title search "Honeymoon" and it should pull up a long list of Honeymoon threads with tons of responses :)

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter didn't have a honeymoon. I'm not sure on my son. One day I calculated his TDD against his weight in kilograms and realized he had passed that honeymoon cut off and thinking back it had probably been several months. I'm going to guess it was somewhere in the 6 month range. It's like childbirth, though - the details get blurry the further away you are :)

7. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

My DS' lasted approximately 4 months, give or take a few weeks. We didn't really catch on at first, because it also coincided with the beginning of summer break and the end of baseball season. He was here at home with me, playing video games and watching TV while I worked all day, so at first we chalked it up to the fact that his activity level went way down. When his numbers weren't going back down, even with activity, we figured out the honeymoon was over.
    I will say sometimes I think his pancreas spits out some insulin just to laugh at us, but the honeymoon is most definitely over (and has been since last June).

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i never noticed a honeymoon with my daughter. The hospital started her out on 12 units lantus and an I:C ration of 1:15. Found out 12 units wasn't enough and we upped it some more. She kept the 1:15 ratio for the first 8 months after diagnosis. But her basal increased from 12 units to 19 units in the first 8 months. At that point we went on the pump.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter's honeymoon lasted a couple of months as far as reduction of insulin is concerned. She never experienced a complete lack of need for insulin, but her lantus dose ticked back a unit here and a unit there for a month, then held there for a bit, and within a month or so started ticking back up. When she went on the pump at 5 months past diagnosis, she was up a unit or two in Lantus dose. Same thing with I:C ratios. She got to be a 1:8, then the honeymoon kicked in and she eventually hit about 1:20 or 1:25, then ticked back up.

I still think she's honeymooning though, not in the "insulin use by weight" concept, but just in the sense that compared to many people here with 11 year olds that have had T1 for years, she seems more stable. I posted a thread yesterday where I relayed my thoughts on her possible abililty to still produce some glucagon at night. If, during the day, we make a mistake in dosing with activity or she didn't eat what she thought she was, etc - she can drop into the 50's quickly. Recently at night we've had a couple instances when it seems like she should drop into the 50's or 40's, yet she'll hold in the high 70's/low 80's with no juice or any other treatment

10. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

My son had a a long honeymoon, especially considering he was only 3.5 at d/x and had an a1c of 13, suggesting pretty long term high blood sugar.

His honeymoon lasted just short of a year. He entered honeymoon 3 weeks post d/x, when his needs halved from his original dose over a week or so. (He always had both basal and bolus insulin though, like your son). He held that dose for a few months, then very slowly started to creep up every month. By the 11 month mark he was just coming over the .5 units/kg. None of it was sudden, and I really think he probably still has a decent residual function. He is still relatively 'easy' to manage, with an A1C in the low 6 range.

Like you I was worried about what the end of honeymoon would look like, whether I would see an abrupt change and would no longer be able to manage his D well.. for us that has not happened. So far at least - we're only 15 months post d/x! ;)

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I don't remember if my daughter honeymooned. She always needed insulin however, we are just now at the point that her requirements based on weight are technically out of the honeymoon period. We went to the dr today and she said... Now this correlates more with what she should need. I highly doubt she honeymooned for. 4 years lol.

I never believed that it was easier or harder back then or now. It was hard when she was on nph. It's hard when she's sick, or when she has a day of constant lows or highs and I don't know why.

Thinking about it, I think it's harder for ,me at least, now, simply because in the beginning, I was happy with a 180 bg. I try to micro manage too much now and diligently try to keep her at target. In the beginning, highs didn't bother me as much as they do now. Maybe ignorance wS just bliss in the beginning and the extent of diabetes didn't hit me then.

12. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Molly's honeymoon was probably 9 months from start to finish though it's hard to say exactly. She was diagnosed in December 2011 and at first was on 3u of Levemir once/day and 1:30 CR. By March/April she was down to 1u of Levemir split in 2 .5u doses and a carb ratio of 1:60. Most days she was getting less than 4u/day. By June her insulin needs were starting to creep up and when she started on Omnipod in July 2012 she was getting 8-10u/day. I can't remember exactly how long it was after that, 3-5 months I guess that she was close to where she is now which is 17-21u/day depending on all of those lovely D factors. Currently she gets about 10u/day of basal (varies with temp basals and the like) and the rest is bolus with a 1:27 CR.

13. Rachmom

Rachmom New Member

I too would like to know what to expect after the honeymoon stage. My daughter was recently diagnosed and she seemed to be doing good as far as her bs being in a somewhat normal range for her. Lately it seems she is running high then it will drop below her normal range quickly. It's a little scary especially when she is in school...I am really afraid of this happening there. She is currently taking around 3-4 units in the morning, 2 units at lunch and 3 at dinner with 10 of lantus at night.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

14. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi. How old is your daughter and when was she diagnosed. Her units are similar to my sons, though just 7 units of levemir at night. Today it's been like he doesn't need insulin. we went to a tea party and i decided we'd see what happens if he ate what he wanted then injected to correct out of interest. He had a plate full of party food including biscuits and cake and he never came out of range so we didn't inject. Today he had 2 units at breakfast, 1 unit at lunch, and 2 1/2 for dinner. Think we need to tweak carb ratios again as he has had a couple of lows this week.

15. dpr

dpr Approved members

We had a crazy long honeymoon, close to 2 years. For the first year she only used 3-4 units a day of total insulin. We had meals that we were trying to bolus for .200-.300 of a unit, really difficult even with .5 unit syringes. But when it was over it WAS over. She very slowly needed more insulin over the second year and then towards the end of the second year BAM all kinds of crazy numbers and it hasn't changed since.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

We managed to extend DD's honeymoon out to 2 years. She came out of it step-wise, with insulin needs up significantly after each time she got sick.