- advertisement -

honeymoon going away :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by tbcarrick, Aug 1, 2010.

1. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

I'm feeling a little down today...My son hit 2 years dx on july 17,and it seems
    like since then his numbers have increased :( I feel so bad for him.Last night
    was the worst so far.He took 2 corrections from a meal spike,so we had to keep waking him up and checking.I'm glad I read about these here.I think it's just now starting to sink in that this is for real,major stuff.For the past 2 years all his numbers were great..I'm glad God gave him/us the extra time to learn things,especially from this forum.I'm sure I'll be using you lots more now.Thanks to all.....Becky

2. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

I know how you feel. My daughter has been dx for 19 months and on almost her 18 month anniversary, she came out of the honeymoon too. I never realized how different her sensitivity to carbs would be once she came out of the honeymoon....

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm sorry. It sounds like you are pretty well prepared for the next phase though!

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

It hit us right around the two year mark as well - we had a couple of wacky awful months and now things have evened out some. She just needed more insulin - the tricky part was figuring out when to give it to her!

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

If he's in his teens increased insulin needs can be from the effects of puberty also. If you're correcting lots then it's probably time to increase his basals.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Leaving the honeymoon is not always a bad thing. Those periodic spurts fromt he pancreas wreaked a lot of havoc during my son's three-year honeymoon.

Have the endo run a c-peptide to establish if there is still natural insulin activity.

7. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

thats a good idea..i'll ask them when we go in.They did raise things,so not too
    many corrections.But still all over the place.Thanks to all.My family really doesn't
    understand,but you guys here all do :)

8. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

How do you know if it's a meal spike, or a fat spike, or what? I'm starting to feel overwhelmed too, and so is my dd! She's at the 16 month mark and will be 13 in October, so puberty is definitely playing a role. How do I help her and how do we get better at bolusing so she's not running high at night? Also, should I start checking her in the middle of the night? Help!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey, these are great questions which warrant their own thread. Start one and we'll come visit and give you some hopefully helpful responses. :cwds: