advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honeymoon? Can anyone share their experience

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Dxdiabetic13, May 13, 2016.

1. Dxdiabetic13

Dxdiabetic13 Approved members

I have read in many threads about the "honeymoon" period and that things change when it's over. My 13yr old son was diagnosed almost 3 weeks ago and his BG is finally stabilizing. We have gone from a 1:6 ratio at breakfast to now a 1:8 and from a 1:8 ratio for all other meals to a 1:10. We also have stopped increasing his Lantus and been able to go down to 17 units. I know it's still just the beginning of this journey and I'm curious about what this honeymoon thing is and what it's like when it's over. He was in the beginning stage of DKA when diagnosed with a A1c of 12% and BG of 315. Luckily my background as an RN made me aware of the symptoms he was having, excessive thirst and going to the bathroom all night long, so I didn't experience the horror of finding him unconscious. There is so much to learn even though I was a nurse, when it comes to my child it's a totally different experience.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

What you describe in doses being lowered in the first few weeks is typical. Honeymoon lasted about 9 months for us, but this varies quite a bit. It seems you caught your son's diabetes fairly early. So good job. :). You've started out on the right foot.

During honeymoon you will find that bg's are not quite as variable, not that you won't have highs or lows, because you will, but maybe they won't get as high as easily. Diabetes is more forgiving during honeymoon, meaning, maybe here will be times when he should have been high or low, but wasn't. I remember missing a meal once and expected him to be super high..he was right in range. I found uncovered snacks to be easier to handle during honeymoon, too. He doesn't weakly have uncovered carbs anymore, unless treating a low. (Having a pump makes this very easy.)

You will no doubt get asked if his diabetes has "evened out" and some parents wonder how long it's normal for their child to have highs and lows. My answer:forever. Having highs or lows doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. 6 years in, we still have highs and/or lows almost daily. If you remember nothing else from this post, remember this.

Basically, I knew honeymoon was ending when his doses nearly doubled in a few weeks time period. Otherwise, it wasn't that much different, at least not right away.

Out of honeymoon you may find he needs fewer carbs to bring up a low, highs may be a little harder to bring down sometimes, doses will be larger, etc. For us, the effects of exercise were a little more apparent, although it could have had as much to do with his age.

But don't worry about that now!!! You will feel much more ready to cross that bridge when you've had a few more months of diabetes care behind you. In or out of honeymoon, you basically manage the same; test, correct, test, correct, test correct..... As you gain knowledge about diabetes, and your son's diabetes specifically, you will find things less daunting. When you feel ready, find some books to read. Littl by little you will fine-tune how you handle things. But for now, just focus on the day to day and keeping your son healthy and happy.

Hope this helps! Good luck with everything, and don't hesitate to ask a million questions here...we are here for you. I found it so helpful to have support and suggestions from others who had been where I was. ;)

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle never really had much of a honeymoon period. Not sure if that is good or bad. So I don't have much advice. And quiltinmom gave you a lot of good info above. I would just echo her advice about not worrying now about what will happen when the honeymoon is over later. Try and focus on the day to day management of his disease. There is so much to learn. Like calculating carbs, weighing/measuring food portions, doing corrections when his bg is high, how things like exercise and certain foods effect his bg, night time testing of his bg, etc. Have you gotten any books on Type 1 yet? I am providing a list below that have some great information in them. Just try and take things one day, one meal, one bg at a time. Slow and steady. And as quiltinmom said, ask a ton of questions. I remember in the early days being very overwhelmed and asking a lot of questions!!!! We have ALL been there.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers

by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)

by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin

by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244