advertisement

Honey Sticks to bring up lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We haven't used honey sticks, but we have used honey. After brain storming with the school nurse we decided that individual serving sized packs would be easily portable, raise bg high enough fast enough. They really worked well for us on field trips, and such.

2. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I just bought the Honey Sticks at Trader Joes too, but I didn't read the nutritional information until I got home. 4 sticks have 16g carbs in them. That's going to be a lot of work to get that much honey out of 4 little sticks. Madison could easily suck on one of those for a couple of minutes before she gets all of it out. I think, in our case, that a juice box would be a better choice - faster.

3. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

The darker honeys and maple syrup (B grades) have more glucose in them, so they are best to bring up a low fast if you want to go the route of honey or other more natural alternatives. If it's a severe low, I would still rely on pure glucose gel.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Harvey Hall

Harvey Hall New Member

I am an adult with type 2 diabetes I have noticed that every once in a while I do have a time when my sugars start to go low. Lucky for me around 85 my body tells me. So I will then watch it to see if it levels off or continues to keep going down. If I get to sugar count of 75 then I take one straw. Sometimes it will go to under 70 on the next reading but within 15 minutes it is back to 85 and within 30 minutes it is between 90 and 100. I feel lucky that my body tells me around 85 that the sugars are headed south. I have a few straws (sticks) at my desk at work and normally a group of them at home. When I take a hike or any outdoor event I always bring a few. I notice it early enough where one straw does the trick. Hope this helps. You can buy them at grocery stores or online. I found amazon is one of the cheapest ways to buy them. I just purchased a group of 100 for $13 with no shipping cost. At the grocery store they can be .50 cents per 1. I will get my 100 in 2 days.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Funny, I just used honey recently. It is very handy when your child can't eat or swallow due to illness or something else. You can just put it between their gums and they will get the carbs to bring up a low.