advertisement

Honey Sticks to bring up lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know YDMV, but has anyone used honey sticks to bring up lows? I'm curious how well they work. A is kind of sick of the chews and wants some other options.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I guess there is on;y one problem I have with honey sticks- have you ever tried to get the honey out? It took me forever and I was just doing for the yum...

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Very good point!

4. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Honey Anonymous

Welcome to 'Honey's anonymous' ! There are only a few people who use honey and I am one of them. I actually have the bottles of course and small packets of honey to carry with me (in a ziploc bag less they leak). There is another poster that uses honey sticks. 1 tablespoon of honey is 17g carbs. We use about 2 teaspoons which is just less than 17g and it works great!

FOr us the choice in using honey felt safer than tablets (choking hazard) and an easier alternative to juice or other liquids, which he refuses. I can get honey to slowly flow into his mouth if hes asleep and even if he is awake it doesnt roll out like juice and become useless. I tried to use the glucshot 15g bottle but I was wearing it quicker than I move out of the way of projectile liquid. SO.

Go for it!

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

We too are honey users for lows!!! :) Never tried the sticks but do have bottles (squeezable) of honey at home at all times...

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we haven't BUT my sil uses honey for her dog with D...
    I never thought to try it because I can't stand the taste of straight honey, but I wonder if Ian might like them. Only thing I can think of is that they probably could be messy....

7. TracieandJim

My DS makes a face but it stays in his mouth so Im sure to have his cup of water ready so he can dilute the taste.

8. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I saw some at the farmers market but have no clue how many carbs are in a stick.

9. TracieandJim

I found this ...
    http://www.fuzing.com/qrx/honey-stick

Honey Stick / Honey Stix / Honey Straws
    Honey Sticks are packed in cases which contains 2000 Sticks. Nutritional Information: Serving Size: 5 Gram Grade = USA Grade A Flower Type = Crimson Clover Total Fat = 0 Gram Sodium = 0 mg Carbohydrates = 5 Gram Sugars = 5 Gram Protein = 0 Gram Energy = 14 Calories per serving Price = $107 USD Per Case or $0.053 USD per Stick (FOB Toronto) Minimum Order 250 cases Please note the following before responding to this trade lead. 1) We do not provide invitation letters to anyone to visit us, if you would like to visit Canada please go through the proper chan....
    Listed by: Coorga International Trading Ltd. (Canada)
    [ view Coorga International Trading Ltd. company information and listings ]
    [ view all in category Candy & Chocolate]
    [ related

10. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I went to store similar to Costco and bought a box of honey packets, the kind you would get if you went to a restaurant..

We are also honey users, honey works very well with Kelton's lows as well as my own..

11. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

This is very timely for me. I just bought honey sticks at Trader Joe's this morning. I was wondering myself if they would be helpful and how easy or not they would be. They take up almost no space.

12. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

We use honey.
    Works great for Em and I like that they are a natural food option.

Karen

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Next time you get a coffee at Starbucks look in the sugar/splenda packet area, they have honey packets. I don't use milk or sugar so I figure I'm entitled to a couple of packets of honey now and again:rolleyes:

That said, we never have used them, but I like having them in my bag and her sports bag to help treat a serious low if needed.

14. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I have used the KFC honey packets, they contain corn syrup. Those worked well for Adin. When I tried plain honey to bring up a stubborn low it didn't work, I suspect the GI is low with honey. But I could be wrong.

15. Karenwith4

It is low - 51 I think.
    I'm not sure why it works for Em but it does.

16. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Thanks for confirming it.

17. TracieandJim

51? GI? Explain please?

18. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

Something I learned today from the Ped, in case this includes and baby diabetics on this forum. Honey can give botchulism to babies, I think 1 yr and under +/- a few months.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/question214.htm

19. Karenwith4

Here's the Wikipedia definition (the rest is here)
    The Glycemic index (also glycaemic index) or GI is a measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood glucose levels. Carbohydrates that break down rapidly during digestion releasing glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI. For most people, foods with a low GI have significant health benefits.

The GI scale has white bread=100 and foods that raise blood sugar slowly have a GI value of 55 and under.

In general it is healthy for diabetics to choose low GI foods as often as possible because these foods can cause fewer spikes or a more gentle raise in blood sugar.

However when you want blood sugar to go up quickly (ie in severe lows) you would want to choose a higher GI food.

Many people choose juice which can have a low or mid range GI.
    We typically have used cheerios, but honey worked in a pinch once and it has become the current favourite.

hth
    Karen

20. robinseggs

robinseggs Approved members

Found this thread from way back but wanted to comment... has anyone used pancake syrup? Mandy has always loved this for lows..but we did use honey the other day while shopping. Mandy was low and I had this honey bottle open and upside down over her mouth just a small stream going down and her mouth open/catching it...I think people thought I was NUTS!! lol robin