- advertisement -

Holiday Snacks

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mom of 15 yr old, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

December 17 2008 - a day we will never forget. Our daughter - 15 ended up in the hospital and was diagnosed with Type 1. The holidays - to say the least - are a blur from last year. She was on such a strict regiment of blood checking, and shots and was not able to eat anything holiday related. This year I want it different. I know she cannot over indulge on snacks - but does anyone know of healthy cookies that all of us can benefit from. She hates being different. We do put out cheese/sausage, veggies and dip but she wants to eat cookies and chex mix for Christmas, and not have to worry too much about it.

Thanks much!

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Maybe add things like oats, dried fruit, and whole wheat flour to baked goods???

For the holidays, we just have at it and I give her insulin for what she eats. Works out just fine. It's only a few times a year. But I've been trying to cook healthier in general, so I look forward to any recipes!

3. Toni

Toni Banned

There are one or two Moms here who posted some wonderful desserts that are low carb (Bridyful and Lee), one a mini low-carb cheesecake, the other a number of desserts. Cookies are hard because they are pretty high carb. Brownies are good; you get more for your carbs. If you want to bake them, you may be able to reduce the flour content. Amy's has a lower-carb, fat, sugar apple pie (37 grams for half a small pie). Low carb friends, living la vida low carb, all the South Beach and some of the Atkins (don't like the Atkin's sites as much) have low carb ideas, some of them quite inventive.

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

kashi has some yummy chocolate chip cookies that have a lot of fiber and are real filling. We subtract the fiber from the carbs to get the total. Can't remember what it was but it made a good snack.

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

We have a recipe section here on CWD, but it doesn't get too much traffic. I really wish it got more because I love to try new recipes.

I really like these cookies: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=44081

Also, you could make some cute red & green sugar-free jello parfaits (with a little whipped cream in the middle. My kids love those.

I tried a 50/50 blend of light cranberry juice and diet gingerale for Thanksgiving (in lieue of sparkling cider) and it was a hit (5 carbs per 8 ounces).

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Same here, sorry.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I always let Reann eat what she wanted for the holidays and we just covered it with insulin.

8. Mom of 15 yr old

Thanks

Thank you for the good ideas. I will get going on making some new recipes and looking on the site here.

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

what sort of insulin is she on? Is she on a regime where she can take an extra shot to cover the carbs?

I love the hershey's kisses on a pretzel. I think they are 5 carbs each???

10. Mom of 15 yr old

She is on Novalog and Lantus. Not on the pump yet. Just getting out of honeymoon and blood sugars are really sporadic. Still trying to get a handle on things.

11. Mom of 15 yr old

Sorry - yes she can insulin for snacks. Sorry forgot to answer that one!